GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Special Active Shock Review

arobb95

Hi, this is my first post so I apologize if its in the wrong section or has previously been discussed (I searched), I have a 2013 Golf TDi Wolfsburg Edition, I have bought GTi springs and plan on pairing them with Koni Special Active Shocks. If anyone has used them or knows someone who has if they could weigh in and provide some feedback. My main questions are...

What is the ride on rough roads like vs stock?
Was the performance a big improvement?
Would you buy them again or would you do something different?

I have h&r sport springs with koni strt shocks on my mk4 jetta and would like something a little softer on rough broads but an increase in performance over stock...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
They are an evolution of the Koni FSD shocks, the reviews should be close do a search.

I hope they last longer than the previous versions. Even when Koni gives you free warranty replacements you gotta ask your selves if it's worth it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I just picked up my car from having the suspension installed yesterday. It feels incredible. I went for the KONI Special Active Shocks. I overhauled nearly everything, went with solid rubber instead of urethane on all bushings and mounts. The result is a car that feels much tighter, grips much better, is more engaging and has eliminated ~ 70% of the harshness compared to the oem setup. I am over the moon in love with my car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
I am on Eibach pro-kit springs and talked to KONI directly. They are the ones that suggested these shocks with these springs. The drop is moderate enough to not be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
In my case, the FSDs failed early and cupped my tires. The ride quality wasn't great, but it was the build quality that let me down.

Koni's warranty is replacement only, so I just ate the loss and bought a set of Bilsteins like I should have done at first.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
How
In my case, the FSDs failed early and cupped my tires. The ride quality wasn't great, but it was the build quality that let me down.

Koni's warranty is replacement only, so I just ate the loss and bought a set of Bilsteins like I should have done at first.
How were the bilsteons and which model? Better than special actives fir rough roads and speed bumps? I want something for comfort over performance that can handle rough/bumpy roads. My research implies the Komi special actives might be best for such

dub*man

Ready to race!
Bilstein stiction is pretty high. While the damping itself is good, initial impacts are harsh.

OEM dampers with a higher quality spring on factory rates like a swift spring might be the best choice if you're after comfort.