GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2nd to 1st grinding

azer

Sometimes when I'm at a red light I go to a rolling stop I go from 2nd to 1st because I do stop but only really quick. When I do this, I can hear a gear grinding sound and the shifter shakes in my hand. Am I not supposed to go from 2nd to 1st if I stop really quick?

Also, I'm driving manual

Bmath340

Ready to race!
no. you don't downshift to first. just yank the e brake. and also, check your washer fluid to help with the grinding gear issue.

azer

wait what does washer fluid have to do with anything
and if I ebrake that then... isn't that the same as regular braking? I still have to disengage the clutch and go back to first anyway..

and I think my clutch is depressed enough.. lots of deadspace.. I'lll press it all the way down next time and see if it happens

MattyGTi

Ready to race!
you shouldnt even really be going to 1st gear...

there is no reason why u cant stay in 2nd n just brake

Bmath340

Ready to race!
no. you don't downshift to first. just yank the e brake. and also, check your washer fluid to help with the grinding gear issue.

OK, OK I'm sorry. wasn't to be taken literal.

You shouldn't shift to first when coming to a stop until your completely stopped.

If your slowing to a stop in second, and the light turns green, (or whatever the case) just stay in second and go.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
yea, you shouldn't switch to first until you've come to a stop

but when youre gonna do a "rolling stop" just stay in second, i can bring it down to like 6mph in second with no problems

GTI'10man

Ready to race!
Sometimes when I'm at a red light I go to a rolling stop I go from 2nd to 1st because I do stop but only really quick. When I do this, I can hear a gear grinding sound and the shifter shakes in my hand. Am I not supposed to go from 2nd to 1st if I stop really quick?

Also, I'm driving manual

Yea I do this sometimes too. Is it bad? :cry:

azer

To further clarify, I shift it into first right when the I'm about to stop completely and the clutch is disengaged (or at least I think it's fully disengaged). So, it's disengaged and right about to stop completely, then I put it into first and then the clickyness starts happening.

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
Or are you talking about the safety system thing that doesn't let you easily go into first until you are at a stop???? Do you force it?

Porcelain

Passed Driver's Ed
To further clarify, I shift it into first right when the I'm about to stop completely and the clutch is disengaged (or at least I think it's fully disengaged). So, it's disengaged and right about to stop completely, then I put it into first and then the clickyness starts happening.

Just keep it in 2nd when rolling. 1st is only used when your car is completely stopped.