GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need advice on brake issue.

samguan

Ready to race!
Had to replace my brakes and rotors because rear driver side worn down to metal, all other ones are fine. Discovered one of the slider pins was rusted, as a temporary measure I was able to clean it up and lubed it until the new parts arrived.

Even after all of that - which I thought should fix the issue, this particular wheel still gets hot during casual driving and with a lot of brake dust, the other wheels are just fine.

Tests done so far:

1. Jacked up the car, pulled and released hand brake, able to spin the wheel freely.
2. Pressed on the brake pedal and release, able to spin the wheel freely

The other symptom is the uneven wear on the rotor, not sure what’s causing it.

The only thing that I notice is the pads fit tightly in the guides, it was really tight but I was able to grind the paint off the brake pad tabs and that helped a little but still not as smooth as the other side but I still believe it’s something else...

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Did you recompress the caliper when installing the pads and rotors?

Verify the pads and rotors are right for your car?

samguan

Ready to race!
I did compress the caliper before installing the pads, all other pads fit perfect, they are the correct pads.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Had to replace my brakes and rotors because rear driver side worn down to metal, all other ones are fine. Discovered one of the slider pins was rusted, as a temporary measure I was able to clean it up and lubed it until the new parts arrived.

Even after all of that - which I thought should fix the issue, this particular wheel still gets hot during casual driving and with a lot of brake dust, the other wheels are just fine.

Tests done so far:

1. Jacked up the car, pulled and released hand brake, able to spin the wheel freely.
2. Pressed on the brake pedal and release, able to spin the wheel freely

The other symptom is the uneven wear on the rotor, not sure what’s causing it.

The only thing that I notice is the pads fit tightly in the guides, it was really tight but I was able to grind the paint off the brake pad tabs and that helped a little but still not as smooth as the other side but I still believe it’s something else...

Any suggestions?
In most cases when one side runs hotter than the other the likely cause is a "lazy caliper", caused by corrosion or crud on the brake piston.

The uneven wear on the rotor is most likely caused by the bad slider that you found but don't rule out that bad wheel bearing(s) can cause both and will only show up under load. In this case, the rotor won't sit square and will lean against the brake pad.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Did you verify the rotor is the right size? Had a parts store give me a wrong size rotor and had the same symptoms you are experiencing.

torga

Autocross Champion
Did you verify the rotor is the right size? Had a parts store give me a wrong size rotor and had the same symptoms you are experiencing.

+1 make sure you got the right diameter. Some Mk6 rears are 272mm, some are 282mm and some are 286mm. All depends on year.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
+1 make sure you got the right diameter. Some Mk6 rears are 272mm, some are 282mm and some are 286mm. All depends on year.

This. I was given the 282. Autozones system was wrong. Lol