GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I would 100% say do the whole job. Would be different if it was easier to get the lower cover off but no sense in wasting $200 just to have to rip it off again later to do the chains when they stretch. Kinda another case of buy once cry once(until the next 100k miles rolls around) in my opinion.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I would 100% say do the whole job. Would be different if it was easier to get the lower cover off but no sense in wasting $200 just to have to rip it off again later to do the chains when they stretch. Kinda another case of buy once cry once(until the next 100k miles rolls around) in my opinion.
Well that's kind of my point. I'm still 80k away from 100k. I'm just wondering if doing the whole job will reduce the risk of slip before the 100k mark.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Vcds can check chain stretch

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Does anyone have enough miles on the new chain to know how they are stretch wise. If they don't stretch as much it could be worth it. If they do then I guess it would make sense to keep the original and wait til ~100k

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Does anyone have enough miles on the new chain to know how they are stretch wise. If they don't stretch as much it could be worth it. If they do then I guess it would make sense to keep the original and wait til ~100k

Or until you jump timing

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

From what I've seen it seems like once you start reaching 100k-120k you start reaching the levels where the stretch takes it out of spec. I wouldn't trust the tensioner for that long and if you're going to keep the car for that long you might as well do the chain too. I ended up doing my chain and tensioner at 75k...then traded it in at 81k lol...Could have planned that better.

pdan

Ready to race!
Decided to get a head start on my brake install tonight, turned in early because I’m a little confused on how everything comes off. I’m trying to get the caliper off but can’t seem to find how to remove these connections, it doesn’t seem to me that there’s a nut or anything, do they just pry apart??

I also removed two connectors for some type of sensor I’m assuming, what do they go to?? And on the OEM pad there were wires, I’m assuming for a wear sensor, leading to one of the connectors. The brakes and pads I have do not seem to have a connector, is this an issue??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Decided to get a head start on my brake install tonight, turned in early because I’m a little confused on how everything comes off. I’m trying to get the caliper off but can’t seem to find how to remove these connections, it doesn’t seem to me that there’s a nut or anything, do they just pry apart??

I also removed two connectors for some type of sensor I’m assuming, what do they go to?? And on the OEM pad there were wires, I’m assuming for a wear sensor, leading to one of the connectors. The brakes and pads I have do not seem to have a connector, is this an issue??

Removing brakes (caliper, pads, rotor):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWXN1vlA2c

Replacing front brake lines:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbs8NFRoQw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUh7hS5WYj8

This should help. The sensors you unplugged is the brake pad sensor and I believe the speed sensor iirc

torga

Autocross Champion

pdan

Ready to race!
This should help. The sensors you unplugged is the brake pad sensor and I believe the speed sensor iirc

Thanks a bunch, definitely helps

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So it's getting to be crunch time for me with my emissions and registration. Gonna start looking at my O2 sensor again while i'm under the car today for an oil change. Right now I have the 02 sensor just hardwired into the harness as the PO replaced the OEM connector with some shit thing that just fell off. Does anyone know how to attach a new connector to the car side of the harness? Also no one happens to have a picture of the order the wires go do they? Its the post cat sensor on a CCTA car.