GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TunerDomes LED License Plate Bulb Replacment on US 2011 TDI

TunaCanyon500

Hello All,

This is my first post after acquiring my '11 Golf 4dr 6MT TDI (US) back at the end of July '11.

I ordered the license plate LEDs and the interior set from TunerDomes last week. I was pretty excited I wouldn't need to add any additional hardware to work around the bulb out warning light. I received them yesterday and installed the license plate LEDs first.

Really easy install compared to the interior bulbs. Turned on the headlights and tada! pretty nice lighting. I hopped in the car to drive to a Harbor Freight to pick up some trim tools for the interior install and then to my dismay Bulb Out Warning light indicator is illuminated! NOOOOOooo!!!

I've installed the front and rear maps and hatch leds and they look great. Man those map bulbs were a PITA! Still got to do the footwell and glove. I hope I don't have any bulb warnings for anything else. The TunerDomes are bluer than I hoped but not that bad. I think they are as blue as most other LEDs. I was hoping for something closer to daylight color temperature. I might have to bust out some of my camera flash gels.

David @ TunerDomes gracefully said he would refund me for the license plate LEDs.

So now I am back on the hunt for license plate bulb replacements

Has anyone else installed license plate LEDs on the US Spec '11 Golf? What worked for you?

What other LED replacement options are confirmed to work on a '11 Golf?

Thanks!

Last edited:

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
I'd recommend giving ijdmtoy.com an email asking about their license plate lights. They use "decoders" and then you can use your own LED bulbs or their bulbs.

I have them running in my car right now (2011 GTI) and I have no errors whatsoever.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that it isn't listed on their site but you can still buy it from there. there is another thread about it..
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23559

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You have to use a pretty giant resistor in order to not have the warning... Its too much of a hassle.

dbduke1

Ready to race!
You need 36ohms or less, in my experience. I just used some cheap LEDs and put a 36ohm resistor in parallel. No codes, not too much heat as it only draws 300ma

TunaCanyon500

I'd recommend giving ijdmtoy.com an email asking about their license plate lights. They use "decoders" and then you can use your own LED bulbs or their bulbs.

I have them running in my car right now (2011 GTI) and I have no errors whatsoever.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that it isn't listed on their site but you can still buy it from there. there is another thread about it..
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23559

Thanks for the heads up! I'll see what options they may have.

TunaCanyon500

You need 36ohms or less, in my experience. I just used some cheap LEDs and put a 36ohm resistor in parallel. No codes, not too much heat as it only draws 300ma

I have a feeling the ones from TunerDomes are expected to work on the '10 but caught David by surprise when I reported problems. Just to confirm you are running yours on a '10 based on your sig?

Skeptix

Ready to race!
Thanks... I think these were the ones I saw first but just couldn't believe I needed all that hardware. I may have to go with these if I cant find another solution... They appear to be less blue than others. Seem to be closer to the daylight color temp which I actually like. Do you agree? Thanks again!

Yeah they're just white... pretty bright though if you don't mind.