GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent keyless start and stop problem (ignition)

infinity005

Hello.

I have a very strange problem with my GTI 2012 and starting/stopping the car. I’m hoping someone has an idea. I'll just start out by saying it’s not the key. I have tried both keyfobs and replaced the battery multiple times. It's not the key or battery in the key.

What happens is I get in the car, put my foot on the break and press the ignition button. Sometimes the car will start right off the bat, but other times I press it and nothing happens. I wait a few seconds, press it again, nothing. I do that about 6-8 times over about 45 seconds and it’ll eventually start.

The consistent thing is that I have the exact same problem turning off the car.

I think the problem has gotten worse over time. I remember when the car was newer and it had this issue I thought it was just me because I would press it twice and it started but it seems to be getting worse and worse. I mentioned it to the mechanics a few years ago and they said nothing was wrong but that was when it was only a few seconds, not like it is now which sometimes requires about 30-45 seconds of trying.

Any ideas? When I google this problem I just get floods of instructions on how to start and open my car with a dead keyfob which obviously isn’t helpful.

Thanks!

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Interesting. First I've heard of this; filed away for future use :).

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I have this issue as well and ive seen this DIY before but im avoiding doing it till the issue gets really bad.

Ol' Man

Passed Driver's Ed
I had this exact same problem with my Hyundai Sonata(previous to the GTI). The problem with that car was the brake light switch. I think I had 3 new ones installed before trading for the GTI.

Coogie

Ready to race!
This worked for me too!

The step to take off the three (or maybe 4) clips/tabs requires VERY gentle hands to not break them. I’d recommend a small flathead screwdriver for each one. My trim toolkit did a mediocre job at the step of holding the tabs out. A helper might make this step easier to hold one or two tabs open with each small screwdriver while you get the last ones.