GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Screw lost to intake manifold

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Hey, I see your in Texas. I'm in Dallas, you around these parts? I dont think I would crank it, maybe turn over by hand with a socket on the crank pulley? Was it stuck between the valve? Could have blown it back out the exhaust. What was the screw made out of? If it was plastic I wouldn't be too worried, but likely aluminum? Hopefully didnt make it to the turbo..

ccmk6

Hey, I see your in Texas. I'm in Dallas, you around these parts? I dont think I would crank it, maybe turn over by hand with a socket on the crank pulley? Was it stuck between the valve? Could have blown it back out the exhaust. What was the screw made out of? If it was plastic I wouldn't be too worried, but likely aluminum? Hopefully didnt make it to the turbo..

Turned it over by hand and still dont see it in any of the cylinders, it was aluminum. I certainly hope it blew out the exhaust but im not too sure

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Got the IM off, throttle body off, and spark plugs out. There seems to be like slight surface scratches on cylinder 3’s head but nothing too bad. Cant seem to actually find the screw, I dont even know if its in cyl 3. I also realized its not magnetic so im going to sweep around the cylinder with some duct tape on a coat hanger. I’ll post pictures tmr of what I see, planning to crank it so I can get cyl 3’s head lower so I can see into it a little better. Definitely nothing that requires replacement parts.

Its possible it may have exited through the exhaust ports if it got in, and could be sitting on one of your cats honeycomb if you still have them or stuck in a muffler somewhere. But good idea to try and still fish around for it. The biggest issue would be if the screw scored the cylinder walls of the the cylinder it could cause oil burning or low compression issues

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Its possible it may have exited through the exhaust ports if it got in, and could be sitting on one of your cats honeycomb if you still have them or stuck in a muffler somewhere. But good idea to try and still fish around for it. The biggest issue would be if the screw scored the cylinder walls of the the cylinder it could cause oil burning or low compression issues

If it made it to to the cat it would have to have gone through the turbo. You would know as I dont think it would make it between the impeller. Maybe its
Sitting in front of the exhaust impeller..I would assume that as far as it could go.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If it made it to to the cat it would have to have gone through the turbo. You would know as I dont think it would make it between the impeller. Maybe its
Sitting in front of the exhaust impeller..I would assume that as far as it could go.

oop yeah youre right actually. Hopefully it didnt damage the impeller if it made it that far

ccmk6

update im arranging to have the engine pulled at this point, long story short. I couldnt find it in the cylinders so I put it all back together, crossed my fingers and started it. Definitely could hear it still, im hoping its in the exhaust but there definitely was a rattling in sync with the engine. Ran it for less than a second, didnt even let it crank all the way. From what I can tell like I said earlier there isnt any significant damage from what I can tell, so I’ll get it pulled and get it out of wherever it is. If I have to replace parts so be it I guess but at least my block doesnt seem to be toast. I’ll keep ya’ll updated on what happens. Who knows maybe it’ll annihilate the turbo and I’ll just get a K04 in there

ccmk6

Also the reason im convinced its not in the cylinders or valves is because I put the car in gear and lifted one of the wheels. I got it spinning as fast as I could with my hands and I couldnt hear any rattling inside the cylinders that would indicate anything was in there.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Also the reason im convinced its not in the cylinders or valves is because I put the car in gear and lifted one of the wheels. I got it spinning as fast as I could with my hands and I couldnt hear any rattling inside the cylinders that would indicate anything was in there.
It doesn't work like that. You cannot turn the engine over by rotating the wheels in the air. You are just rotating the spider gears in the transmission. Odds are, it went through the valves and the combustion chamber and is in the turbo.
Most likely it damaged the valves that it traveled through and the turbo.

If it were mine, and I planned on pulling the engine anyways, I'd just start it up a floor it to try and blow it out into the cat.

Last edited:

H132

Ready to race!
Ouch sorry to hear this. I have the Forge boost tap also. Can't figure how this could have happened. Did you drop the screw in the manifold while it was off, or did you tighten it so hard it went right through the tap? Either way sucks man. If you need a new turbo and internals might as well make it awesome if you can afford it.

ccmk6

Ouch sorry to hear this. I have the Forge boost tap also. Can't figure how this could have happened. Did you drop the screw in the manifold while it was off, or did you tighten it so hard it went right through the tap? Either way sucks man. If you need a new turbo and internals might as well make it awesome if you can afford it.

I think I overtightened it and it was sitting too far inside the tap

Woocifer

Hey Op @ccmk6. I literally just did the same thing yesterday morning, I have pulled the intake manifold off and found little pieces of it near the valves on cylinder number 3, it has stopped rattling inside the engine, I’m getting a Miss fire on #3 and pulled the plug and found it’s burning oil inside. Did yours cause damage to the block or head when this happened?