GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe question!

milfdoer

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm really looking to get a downpipe for my car. I'm currently stage 1 APR with intake. If I get the downpipe I probably won't go stage 2 until I get the rest of the intake. But my question is, will I have problems passing smog even tho I'm stage 1 with the downpipe. Also will I get any CELs. Oh and the downpipe I'm looking at is the CTS Turbo one. It's on sale right now on Urotuning.

http://www.urotuning.com/CTS-Turbo-MK6-TSI-2-0T-FWD-Downpipe-p/cts-exh-dp-001-g6tsi.htm

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
you won't pass smog with a catless/ high flow downpipe and you will get a CEL after a couple miles. the only way you might be able to get away with passing emissions is with an O2 Spacer, granted its positioned right. IIRC having it pointing to the front of the car may be doing the trick. finally, you gotta hope they don't do a visual inspection then you'll fail right away. I got lucky and passed with my downpipe and an O2 spacer and stage 1 tune but every shop is different.

milfdoer

Passed Driver's Ed
So even with the high flow cat I still won't pass. Good to know. I'll probably get the downpipe after my smog check coming up this year. Just to clarify, if I go stage 2 I won't get any CELs right or am I wrong?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
That’s correct you still worn pass. Yeah when you go to stage 2 the tuner will disable the CEL cause by the downpipe.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, you wont pass. There is a work around where you mess around with the O2 sensor readiness using vagcom though. I had trouble with this in Houston. Set the readiness through VCDS and went back to the shop that failed me.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Moved here in August. K04 with ECS intake, Cobb turboback and Stratified tune. Went back to stock on intake but didn't hook up the SAI tube to the box and have an ethanol sensor in my fuel line to the HPFP. I failed because of those two things. I fixed those and went back and passed. They told me I had an aftermarket catback( no shit) but downpipe looked good :laugh:.