GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage1 tune - first impressions & customer service experience

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Leo from Eurotek here in Vegas came to my house, took out my ECU, reflashed my car with a loaded tune (stock,91,100 & valet) & did vagcom tweaks for me (in about an hour total) showed me lockout mode and how to switch programs all right in my own garage. He replaced the ECU bolts with genuine VW bolts right from the factory. Great guy - very friendly - I highly recommend! Probably the best customer service experience I've had in quite awhile!

First drive impressions... Damn!!!

This is a whole nother car now - 1rst gear dead zone unfortunately didn't completely disappear but it was reduced to a level where I don't wanna trade the car in anymore (thx APR) redline comes fast in 1rst ... TCS light flashes all over the place in 1rst 2nd even 3rd - half throttle around corners it comes on too - the car spikes boost a little abruptly in 1rst but to me that's expected.

There is an onramp to the freeway by my house - before the flash I could get to 85 just as I merged onto the freeway at WOT .... Now I'm doing almost 120 as I merge - holy shit, can that be right?

Noises ... The engine is quite noticeably louder - I like it!!! I like it alot!! APR RSC is likely in my future as well as their intercooler to help with awful Vegas heat soak. First things first though ... Engine mounts and an intake are next on the list as well as the DV & PCV valve which are likely to take a shit early because of the added power.

Torque - yes please!

It's everywhere ... 6th gear freeway, punch it .... Byeee .... It's all over the power band - nuff said!

All in all it's everything people have said - sorry for yet another APR stage 1 post (god knows there are a zillion of em) but there is a good reason why!

APR = win

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
w00t :thumbup:

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I just got APR stage 1 a couple days ago. So far..... I am loving it!

Carbonio intake goes on tomorrow.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
glad to see you are enjoying the car now :)

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i felt exactly the same way when i had it done. i'm not really a speed guy, but most of us if not all would agree that the car should have that extra power and torque. :happyanim:

honkbruno

Ready to race!

Carbonio intake goes on tomorrow.

Please post your impressions pre-intake stage 1 vs. post-intake stage 1. I've been on the fence about buying one. Had one ordered and then cancelled it to buy a smoker instead. Pulled pork anyone?

Stage 1 is definitely a blast though! :burnrubber: :burnrubber: :burnrubber:

fredf

Go Kart Champion

So, Penrose, you've lurked and asked many questions about APR/chipping for a while. Now that you have your Stage I, how would you like to comment on it.

How 'drivable' is it for every day street use? Any difficulties getting use to it, any unwanted wheel spin?

Come on, cough it up.

mylesw42

Ready to race!

So, Penrose, you've lurked and asked many questions about APR/chipping for a while. Now that you have your Stage I, how would you like to comment on it.

How 'drivable' is it for every day street use? Any difficulties getting use to it, any unwanted wheel spin?

Come on, cough it up.

Wait just a minute?! APR released a stage 1 tune for the Kia RIO? Penrose, what's it like?! :D

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Wait just a minute?! APR released a stage 1 tune for the Kia RIO? Penrose, what's it like?! :D

:lol:

Back to Stage 1. I just got flashed three days ago. I love the added power. If you start from 1500-2k in second gear and nail it, you can feel the added power kick in where it would usually kinda plateau, due to boost tapering off. The butt dyno definitely feels it. I have an intake btw. It pulls strong. Next: Probably AWE boost gauge and cup kit.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion

I'm not Penrose but I can tell you, it's the same as stock so no driveability issues and no difficulties getting used to it, but if you floor it oooh man, better hang on to something :d unwanted wheel spin? nah, as I said only when you floor it it will give you the whole power that can make your tires spin, and if you have good tires that will only happen at high revs on 1st. I've seen guys that say their tires spin on 2nd also, but they have the all weather tires, still that won't happen driving normally. The thing I enjoy the most of the stage 1 remap is the instant passing power available on 6th gear.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I'm not Penrose but I can tell you, it's the same as stock so no driveability issues and no difficulties getting used to it, but if you floor it oooh man, better hang on to something :d unwanted wheel spin? nah, as I said only when you floor it it will give you the whole power that can make your tires spin, and if you have good tires that will only happen at high revs on 1st. I've seen guys that say their tires spin on 2nd also, but they have the all weather tires, still that won't happen driving normally. The thing I enjoy the most of the stage 1 remap is the instant passing power available on 6th gear.

You don't have to be Penrose. In fact, he may not even want to be!

But your comments are exactly what I wanted to hear.
My car isn't even due until Sept. but I am already anxious to get Stage I. I certainly will not proceed beyond that.

Your note helps because everyone talks about screatching tires, exhaust notes, etc and all I want is a car with a bit more fun. I don't care about the growl it makes or getting the last couple of horsepower out of it.

I want a civilized and controllable drive. In particular, I don't want to have to worry about wheel spin in the winter.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
You don't have to be Penrose. In fact, he may not even want to be!

But your comments are exactly what I wanted to hear.
My car isn't even due until Sept. but I am already anxious to get Stage I. I certainly will not proceed beyond that.

Your note helps because everyone talks about screatching tires, exhaust notes, etc and all I want is a car with a bit more fun. I don't care about the growl it makes or getting the last couple of horsepower out of it.

I want a civilized and controllable drive. In particular, I don't want to have to worry about wheel spin in the winter.

I think it's perfectly controllable, more so if you have a MT. Do a noise pipe delete + stage 1 and you'll have a hell of a fast car with no noise but the sexy sound of the turbo spooling just for you.