GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Picked up an Iabed oil cooler today -- USRT ICECAP DSG cooler coming next.

R32 skid plate on the way along--stock oil pan going back on.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Long overdue update. Spent the last 3 months becoming engaged, selling my home, and moving in with my fiance who now has a garage...but unfortunately the condo association only allows 2 cars per unit due to the limited parking space, so the car's been hooked up to a battery tender at my parents house while I daily drive my shit box. Though she's been in slumber, I've been very busy accumulating parts in anticipation for the 2019 track season.

The car will be headed back to Excelerate Performance next week for another round of upgrades. These were something I was hoping to do myself, but time has been very limited and I want the car to be track ready (including the body work) by the end of the month (a long shot goal, but something I am striving for).

Over the past two months, I've picked up a number of critical components:

- Golf 6R rear calipers & rotors
- A brembo GT 4 piston BBK, 355mm 2 piece rotors (shoutout to jshay)
- Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers (managed to get the last set on clearance). I was set on the Ohlins for a long time, but after talking to Tanner at Eibach he was helpful in answering all of my technical questions. Even though these are on clearance and soon to be discontinued, they assured me that because they're built and assembled in house, even 10 years from now they'll be able to rebuild them without an issue. Springs are always able to be exchanged to experiment with different rates. The external reservoirs will also make compression adjustments at the track an absolute breeze.
- Titan7 TS5 Wheels. Fully forged wheels without the forged price tag. 18x8.5 +44. Going with a square 225/40 setup for now, will likely experiment with a reverse stagger later on.

Upcoming later this month:

- RS3 master cylinder upgrade
- OMP WRC-R XL Seat
- Tyrolsport Hatch Brace
- Respray of the car, including the install of my ED35 front bumper, side skirts, and hopefully if it all works out I'll have a revozport hood as well.

Will provide more photos as updates materialize. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I like everything you're doing, but consider 235's for your tires...more meat and should fit no problem. There is a vcds adjustment in Instruments that will keep the speedo accurate.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I like everything you're doing, but consider 235's for your tires...more meat and should fit no problem. There is a vcds adjustment in Instruments that will keep the speedo accurate.

I had a 235 before, and while I might have more grip, there was a loss in "feel" due to the tire actually being slightly taller. Maybe since the new wheels are half an inch wider that might negate that, but 225 also gives me significantly more options for tire (and are also a lot cheaper). If anything, I'd go to a 255/35 in the front, which has identical specs to a 225/40 (aside from width of course). But because there are already so many variables being changed over one winter (new suspension, brakes, etc), I'd like to have some constants.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
w0000t lots of amazing things happening here. You're going to love the R2's. I have them as well paired with Vorschlag camber plates. There's a lot of learning curve involved in dialing them in though.

I am likely going to go with IE for camber plates, either that or ground control. You said you had issues with your vorschlag right? Did you widen the hole in the strut tower to make easier access for adjustments?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I am likely going to go with IE for camber plates, either that or ground control. You said you had issues with your vorschlag right? Did you widen the hole in the strut tower to make easier access for adjustments?

Vorschlag has a spacer that you fit in between the strut tower and strut which solves that. I'm sure if you made sure to tell them that when ordering they would include it no problem. I just didnt realize it until after I went for the corner balance and alignment, so now in order to install that I'd have to take the struts down again and get another alignment.

Didn't need to widen the hole, these adjust from the bottom. IE and GC you'd likely have to widen it.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Some goodies came in the mail today!

Looks like the reservoir on the passenger side uses the same mounting location as my catch can. Might have to do some improvising on that.

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Hmm.. what do we have going on here? ;) ;)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I had a 235 before, and while I might have more grip, there was a loss in "feel" due to the tire actually being slightly taller. Maybe since the new wheels are half an inch wider that might negate that, but 225 also gives me significantly more options for tire (and are also a lot cheaper). If anything, I'd go to a 255/35 in the front, which has identical specs to a 225/40 (aside from width of course). But because there are already so many variables being changed over one winter (new suspension, brakes, etc), I'd like to have some constants.

Drop to 17x9 with 245 tires, I should have done this a long time ago.

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice cooler...where did you find that??

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Nice placement for the oil cooler, is it actually touching the backside of the fog light housing? It get super hot. Make sure you use the Mocal thermostat as well.

Thanks! It won't be physically touching the bumper. You referring to the Mocal one that's included?

Nice cooler...where did you find that??

Correct it's the Iabed kit. Expensive, but his design was exactly what I wanted since it'll still allow me to run a sandwich plate for my accumulator.