GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone recommend ECS Stage 3 BBK and rear kit?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I am considering further upgrading my front and rear brakes. I installed Stoptech's stock-sized slotted rotors and pads front and rear plus Neuspeed brake lines. When those pads wore out, I installed Hawk Street 5.0 pads front and rear. Each upgrade has improved the braking but it's time to change the pads again and I am thinking of going bigger. Adding bigger brakes to the front doesn't seem smart unless I also do something to improve the rear, but cost-effective options seem limited.

Has anyone used ECS Tuning's Rear Big Brake Kit? It includes a 320mm rotor and has a caliper bracket that lets me use my current calipers. Other than HPA's kit which is out of my price range I only find rear kits with R32 calipers that appear to be the same as my Bosch's. How would I like this rear kit combined with ECS's Stage 3 4-piston front kit?

Last edited:

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
After some research, I understand a little more about the difference between my GTI rear calipers and the R32/Golf R rear calipers. R rear rotors are vented and therefore thicker than the GTI non-vented rotors as well as being larger in diameter. Now the question is, what is the difference between the MkV R32 rear caliper and the MkVI Golf R caliper besides the color and cost?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
IAdding bigger brakes to the front doesn't seem smart unless I also do something to improve the rear, but cost-effective options seem limited.

[/URL]?

Fronts do most of the work, you can actually upgrade just the fronts and get great results.

Having said that, when I started tracking my car I upgraded both front and rear but there were many out there with only fronts upgraded.

A reasonable (cost) upgrade is to find used R32 or Golf R brakes for the front with good pads. They work great, that is what I used initially. Used rear sets are super hard to find as most folks with those cars don't upgrade the rears.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So I've been bouncing back and forth on what I want to do for brakes and recently settled again on Rotorlab I think for an 18z kit. However, now i'm thinking of doing just 18z front, then an R32/R rear setup so I don't have to go through the hassle of the parking brake. Would this give a good balance in braking? Also I know you said sourcing the rears is hard but any idea on where to start looking and do the calipers and rotors bolt right up?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
18z will give you a mushy pedal, the stock master cylinder can't handle those. You'll need to upgrade to a ttrs master to get a good pedal feel with those.

Yea, that's what i've read and plan on doing that as well. I was just looking around on vwvortex and found someone selling a full 18z kit (minus rear mounting hardware) from rotorlab for a decent price although it's on the mk5 r32 classifieds so i'm not sure if they will still fit on a mk6. If so I may just do that since it's too good to pass up and figure out the mounting and parking brake after.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I've been bouncing back and forth on what I want to do for brakes and recently settled again on Rotorlab I think for an 18z kit. However, now i'm thinking of doing just 18z front, then an R32/R rear setup so I don't have to go through the hassle of the parking brake. Would this give a good balance in braking? Also I know you said sourcing the rears is hard but any idea on where to start looking and do the calipers and rotors bolt right up?

The rears from MK6/5 bolt right up.

Full 18z system will cost you 3500 to 4500 if you do your own work. I just did the Rotorlab stuff on my MKV build.

Note - 18z front calipers are large you may need spacers for clearance depending on what wheels you are running.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The rears from MK6/5 bolt right up.

Full 18z system will cost you 3500 to 4500 if you do your own work. I just did the Rotorlab stuff on my MKV build.

Note - 18z front calipers are large you may need spacers for clearance depending on what wheels you are running.

The guy on vwvortex is selling the full kit for $1100 + shipping. Is saying the rears will only fit on steel spindles though, not the aluminum. I'm guessing the mk6 gti comes stock with the steel ones right? If so i'm probably gonna pick these up, find a mounting solution and keep the stock rear calipers for a parking brake and the master cylinder so they don't feel like mashed potatoes, then figure out which pads I want to run.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
The guy on vwvortex is selling the full kit for $1100 + shipping. Is saying the rears will only fit on steel spindles though, not the aluminum. I'm guessing the mk6 gti comes stock with the steel ones right? If so i'm probably gonna pick these up, find a mounting solution and keep the stock rear calipers for a parking brake and the master cylinder so they don't feel like mashed potatoes, then figure out which pads I want to run.
Correct, MK6 gti comes stock with steel spindles front and rear.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Correct, MK6 gti comes stock with steel spindles front and rear.

I think i'm gonna grab them if they're still available since the rear calipers should be the same regardless, all I may have to change is the rear mounting solution. Also realized the stock calipers wont be able to stay as a parking brake so i'll need to find which caliper to get for that.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I think i'm gonna grab them if they're still available since the rear calipers should be the same regardless, all I may have to change is the rear mounting solution. Also realized the stock calipers wont be able to stay as a parking brake so i'll need to find which caliper to get for that.
I know BringerOdeath is running a similar dual caliper setup in the rear. Check out his build thread, post #10. Might wanna check with him to see how he pulled it off.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I know BringerOdeath is running a similar dual caliper setup in the rear. Check out his build thread, post #10. Might wanna check with him to see how he pulled it off.

Same with GIACUser, i've talked with him a good amount through PMs and also the guy from Rotorlab. The options i'm debating between are OEM MK6 R/MKV R32 rear calipers, Wilwood caliper, and line lock to hold the rear brakes engaged. I'm tempted to do the linelock just to be different and have something unique, only thing I want to figure out is, if the electronics fail, will the line lock disengage and release the brakes, and if not, is there a way to manually disengage so I can still drive.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Maybe I missed it in this thread. What are these people running for brackets in the rear setup?

That was always the issue I thought with running 18z setup in the rear. There was a guy on this site years ago making them, but he quit. I've been looking for a set for years.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Maybe I missed it in this thread. What are these people running for brackets in the rear setup?

That was always the issue I thought with running 18z setup in the rear. There was a guy on this site years ago making them, but he quit. I've been looking for a set for years.
These are the ones I have. I don't have the brake kit yet but I got these for when I order it soon. I'm hoping they actually work

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-creations-motorsport-parts/dual-rear-caliper-adapter-kit/br0015~cms/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk