GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Follower Wear

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So I decided to take a peak and followed this simple DIY on the MKV forum... first time ever doing this and it took like 40mins I am sure the second time around it will be quicker very simple process.

Here some quick stats of my car:
27+k Odometer
5k oil change intervals (except for the first 10k)
Castrol 5-40w
Stage 1+

I ordering some replacements soon please feel free and ask any questions

Last edited:

07STitoR

Ready to race!
How long did you run the HPFP for? That cam follow looks like you could do another 20k not sure though.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It went stage 1(+including the HPFP) since the at lil over 3k... Car runs amazing never had any problems.
Kinda feel it wore prematurely... I havent been on many cam follower threads but I have seen cars with less wear and more miles...
I ride my car like I stole it (safely of course) its seen 2 track days and going on the 3rd soon.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
ugh, do not miss cam follower fear with my old FSI. Buy a bunch of those suckers and just swap them out every 20k to be safe. Good luck!!

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Can you provide a link to the DIY you used? I'm assuming the Mk5 FSI DIY would be identical to our CRZA FSI engine?

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
ugh, do not miss cam follower fear with my old FSI. Buy a bunch of those suckers and just swap them out every 20k to be safe. Good luck!!
Yea but its not really pain to change it... if you are handy with a wrench its easy

Can you provide a link to the DIY you used? I'm assuming the Mk5 FSI DIY would be identical to our CRZA FSI engine?

Its highlighted in original post but here you are... As far procedure goes it is identical should have no prob
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102858

one big reason I ditched my 2007 GTI. I was not about to mess with followers every 25k etc. I'd seen dozens of worn out followers on stock cars.

Nor was I about to buy a $35k R because our fuel and oil is not good enough to preserve a follower for extended miles...and that VW wasn't quick enough to just cram the R with a newer EA888 motor.

Aren't those mk5 GTI engines warranted to 100k because of these cam followers?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
one big reason I ditched my 2007 GTI. I was not about to mess with followers every 25k etc. I'd seen dozens of worn out followers on stock cars.

Nor was I about to buy a $35k R because our fuel and oil is not good enough to preserve a follower for extended miles...and that VW wasn't quick enough to just cram the R with a newer EA888 motor.

Aren't those mk5 GTI engines warranted to 100k because of these cam followers?

It's a $50 part that takes 20 minutes to replace:iono:

No one has had an issue and the only people replacing them are doing so as preventative maintenance.

Here's mine after 20k. Minimal wear.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's a $50 part that takes 20 minutes to replace:iono:

No one has had an issue and the only people replacing them are doing so as preventative maintenance.

I can understand why some peeps get all cautious about but I agree with you it really is a 20-30min job its very simple

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
Just a dumb question.
When installing a new cam follower all the DIY says i should oil it first. But what part of the cam follower should i oil? The entire thing och just the outside?

You don't really need to but for goo measure you can just dunk the whole thing in fresh oil before installing.

I definitely do not miss that feature of the FSI

I mean no disrespect to Golf R owners... BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT ....

It was an issue for those FSI motors from 2006-2008. I know THIS.. I had a 2007 GTI and yes.. I replaced the cam follower once at 30k... and it was in MUCH worse shape than that in the pic. I was stock.

No owner should have to crack open a small hole in their motor every 25k to check the shape of a camshaft follower prior to warranty end.... It ain't like checkin your dipstick for oil levels.

There is a reason VW did away with this design in 2009. (especially in the USA)

No offense to you all who have cam followers in your motor... cos I loved the FSI motor in my 2007. It had more high end rpm push than the TSI in my 2012, and that made the car more exhilarating. It is also a very robust motor.

The reason noone has an "issue" with it in the R's is becuase of all us MK5'ers who came before you all and were made aware of this issue via all those blown motors... Why should my wife, my 75 yr old dad, or myself have to change an internal part to keep a vw FSI running smooth ??? Why isn't it a VW maintenance item listed in the owners manual?????? Why isn't it part of VW's carefree maintenance program at 30k miles??? :laugh:

Otherwise... I like the R. I'd have one in my garage right now if it came with a modern motor that didn't need me checking an internally lubricated part every 25k.

here's some reading:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73095

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/335457-Cam-Follower-Strikes-Again-thanks-Audi!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5127001-Cam-follower-quot-recall-quot

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70222

Here's mine after 20k. Minimal wear.
[/QUOTE]