GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone ever move up to a MK7?

markus037

Ready to race!
thinking about making the switch. wondering what the common issues are. there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there since the car came out 2 years ago.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
thinking about making the switch. wondering what the common issues are. there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there since the car came out 2 years ago.
It's alot more reliable surprisingly even though production was moved to Mexico. Source: neighbor has '15 mk7 GTI with 60k miles and hasn't had a single issue. By 60k my '13 GTI had a water pump and O2 sensor replaced and had part revisions up the ass.

I'm excited about no car payment next year. So I'll be keeping my gti till wheels fall off.

Some things I like about the mk7 are the backup camera, Android Auto (not available in '15 models) and LSD in performance models.

Just be sure you're doing the math and it makes sense to change for u.

Edit: once my mk6 dies hopefully not before a few years of solid no car payments. I'll prolly move into a low mileage ’18 mk7 that's a couple years old. Not going to buy new again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rickr71

I was going to buy the 2017 MK7 GTi sport because it had the sports package which is limited slip diff, bigger brakes and 220 HP, but: no 2 door models are made any longer and the head room on MK7 is an inch shorter. Im taller and i liked the room of the MK6 2 door so i just bought another 2013 model with 22k miles and sold my 135k one.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
IDK if I will purchase another VW. If I do, the Golf R is the only thing they have that I actually want.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I was going to buy the 2017 MK7 GTi sport because it had the sports package which is limited slip diff, bigger brakes and 220 HP, but: no 2 door models are made any longer and the head room on MK7 is an inch shorter. Im taller and i liked the room of the MK6 2 door so i just bought another 2013 model with 22k miles and sold my 135k one.

The Mk7 stated 220hp is underrated from the factory. Ive seen stock dynos from 220whp-265whp depending on dyno type and other factors. So prob more like at least 250 hp crank

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I love my GTI and its been super reliable knock on wood. I also plan to drive it until the wheels fall off but I think I want AWD or 4x4 in my next vehicle.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i went from a 7 to a 6 for comfort reasons. Better ride and build quality in the 6. 7 is a little more refined in a few ways, sharper looking, LOVE the seats for sure, and the steering wheel, but I think the 6 is better after about a year in both.

the power increases with a stg1 tune was awesome, and the mpg was a little better in the 7.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
i went from a 7 to a 6 for comfort reasons. Better ride and build quality in the 6. 7 is a little more refined in a few ways, sharper looking, LOVE the seats for sure, and the steering wheel, but I think the 6 is better after about a year in both.

the power increases with a stg1 tune was awesome, and the mpg was a little better in the 7.

If reliability issue is alot better on the MK7, then no question I would jump on one once im done with my MK6. Going through water pump #3, the headliner issue is another.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
yeah i mean, i got mine at 20k, kept it till about 40k.

I didn't have any real issues at the time minus all the rattling. Not that the mk6 is built together with foam & rubber dash pieces, but the 7 really had some rattling for being so nice.

The suspension had a couple creaks, knocks and rattles but front and rear by the time i got rid of it, and i never touched anything on it.

Engine reliability - probably a safer bet with the 7 especially comparing all of the serious common issues the 6 has, both fsi and tsi. the clutch holds more power than the 6 as well.

kind of a toss up, in the end i'm glad i went 6 and haven't missed the 7 all too much.

TwentyTwelve

Passed Driver's Ed
At 50k on my 7 now (from a 4 not a 6) No issues, stage 2 and clutch is holding with the way i drive it but new one on the way.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
yeah i mean, i got mine at 20k, kept it till about 40k.

I didn't have any real issues at the time minus all the rattling. Not that the mk6 is built together with foam & rubber dash pieces, but the 7 really had some rattling for being so nice.

The suspension had a couple creaks, knocks and rattles but front and rear by the time i got rid of it, and i never touched anything on it.

Engine reliability - probably a safer bet with the 7 especially comparing all of the serious common issues the 6 has, both fsi and tsi. the clutch holds more power than the 6 as well.

kind of a toss up, in the end i'm glad i went 6 and haven't missed the 7 all too much.

Thanks for your input. I really want another 2 door in a couple years, that said, the 2011 only has 56K miles so far, we will see.

Last edited:

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
How is the 7 in terms of lag and response since the turbo is mated straight to the block?

With the new 6 year warranty on the 2018 models I might jump to an R but I’m looking for something faster than my Mk6 APR KO4. Don’t know if a full bolt on R can take me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webbry4

Ready to race!
How is the 7 in terms of lag and response since the turbo is mated straight to the block?

With the new 6 year warranty on the 2018 models I might jump to an R but I’m looking for something faster than my Mk6 APR KO4. Don’t know if a full bolt on R can take me?

I bet stage 2 R will take you over your current k04 kit