GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #1359
usefulidiot
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI Sportline 3-door UG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
How do you know they are shot? You don't do alot milage.

Coincidently, one of my neighbour thought the same, coz his mechanic friend told him his both his rear brake calipers were going after changing the pads coz they were wearing down faster than others and was over-heating his rear brake. I told him VW bias the initial brake bias to the rear causes the rear pads to wear faster. As well, if you replace VW rear brakes with aftermarket pads and if the parking brake wasn't adjusted properly after replacement they will drag.

Long story shorter, we jacked up the rear and sure enough there was some unnessage drag from the parking brakes, see this video for parking brake info.

I used a remanufactured rear caliper on my wifes '15 Accord, yup left parking brake lever wouldn't release. It works fine but seem to rust faster than the originals.

You can also buy the brake kits with the seals, retainer and boot for like $10 and rebuild the calipers yourself. I've done it a few times, you just need motivation some scotch bright pads to clean any rust from the bores, lots of brake fluid to lubricate getting the piston past the seals. Easy to bleed the brakes after, if you have a helper or a Motive Power Bleeder.

My E-brake has been getting worse over the last year. We went over the E-brake - it functions properly as it should. We replaced the spring and that worked for a bit. The calipers don't rebound properly, leaving the E-brake slack more than not. I'm not that mechanically inclined lol. I'm sitting at 147,000km. I'm on my third set of brakes. 100% notice my rear's wearing at a faster rate than the fronts. I'm not opposed to replacing the rear calipers, as this car is still a blast to drive and feels like it has another 150k in it. I'm lucky my driveway is flat and where I park at work is flat. I've been flat parking for the last few months to avoid any undue stress on the trans brake.
17" Goals//Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+//OEM LED Tails//LED Headlights//DRL-High Beam//Audi Red Top Coils//Neuspeed P-Flo CAI//UM Stage 1 Tune//Rokblokz//034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert//Koni Sport//H&R Sport//TTRS mounts

Last edited by usefulidiot; 01-11-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: additional info
usefulidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #1360
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Turned over 90K miles today. I have put over 25k drive it like you stole it miles on this car since I bought it in Oct 2017 with no real problems to speak of. Very proud of the little 2.5L.

And it still puts a smile on my face to drop into 3rd at 65 mph and take off.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 01-12-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #1361
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Met a Rabbit 2.5 guy at the VW Parts counter the other day, his job takes him all over Ontario and Quebec, he has over 400K km on his Rabbit. He says apart from regular Oil, spark plugs/ coil packs, manual transmission fluid and brake service the only things the Dealer has replaced are Radiator and thermostat, Valve Cover, Vacuum pump, crank sensor, wheel bears, both CV axles and a front bumper. He says the other guy he works with saves money on diesel with his TDI but gives it back everytime something goes wrong with the diesel components; he does spend a bit more on gas but his rabbit has had less maintenance days off.

Very telling, kudos to the lil 2.5.

PS. Wow I, just realized his clutch is still good, must be alot of high way driving. Prolly doesn't drive like WW

Last edited by MLue1; 01-12-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: PS
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #1362
Wascally Wabbit

Quote:
PS. Wow I .just realized his clutch is still good, must be alot of high way driving
Not really. It's mainly local driving except for the 30 mile commute to work which here in Orange County is an hour in stop and go traffic. I live on Pacific Coast Highway which is not actually a highway where I live so a lot of beach cruising. Got to 130k on the original clutch on the TDI.

I updated my profile today too.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 01-12-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #1363
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Not really. It's mainly local driving except for the 30 mile commute to work which here in Orange County is an hour in stop and go traffic. I live on Pacific Coast Highway which is not actually a highway where I live so a lot of beach cruising. Got to 130k on the original clutch on the TDI.

I updated my profile today too.
We'd take that drive any day, it takes my wife one hour and 15 minutes to go 45 km (28 miles) in Toronto rush hour to get home from downtown, combination of regular roads and highway.

EDIT: Why did you Disabled DRL's is safer to drive with it, no?

Last edited by MLue1; 01-12-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #1364
Wascally Wabbit

Just one more bulb to replace and I never saw the point at my latitude.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #1365
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Just one more bulb to replace and I never saw the point at my latitude.
In my area DRL is the law and insurance stats show when headlights on during the day that accidents down.

EDIT: We have some draconian laws where I live but they are getting rid of the eTesting so in a few months, buy a TDI and rip all the diesel particulae filters and sh!t off and reprogram EDC to work without them.

Last edited by MLue1; 01-12-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #1366
KollinWithaK
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 Gray 2.5
Finally got my intake and secondary breather filters installed, took some finesse. Drove roughly 10 miles, I need to double check and make sure everything is on tight and sealed, sounds like I have a small leak, who knows. Car ran fine otherwise, butt dyno feels like an improvement.

I'll be doing a write-up of the light-weight pulley (which I 100% recommend) and the intake soon.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #1367
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Amaryllis Red 2.5L
Arrived back in Ontario today after a month in BC for the holidays. Got home, and opened up my spare harness from Deautokey to find that instead of sending me the harness replacement, the sent me 2 entirely new HID bulbs with the harness glued! The install is much easier with the bulb glued to the harness, and took me about 5 minutes, light output is massively improved, and cutoff with the reflector is about the same as my stock halogens, with no readjustments necessary on my end. Will try to find time to get my city lights wired up this coming weekend, as I have a set of LED city lights in the mail waiting to be picked up!
KanyesChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #1368
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyesChest View Post
Arrived back in Ontario today after a month in BC for the holidays. Got home, and opened up my spare harness from Deautokey to find that instead of sending me the harness replacement, the sent me 2 entirely new HID bulbs with the harness glued! The install is much easier with the bulb glued to the harness, and took me about 5 minutes, light output is massively improved, and cutoff with the reflector is about the same as my stock halogens, with no readjustments necessary on my end. Will try to find time to get my city lights wired up this coming weekend, as I have a set of LED city lights in the mail waiting to be picked up!
Welcome back Edwin,... now get back to the work!!!

We should get togeather and compare the Deautokey with mine.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #1369
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Welcome back Edwin,... now get back to the work!!!

We should get togeather and compare the Deautokey with mine.
I'd be down for that haha, I did a ton a research into LED vs HID, so I'd love to see the results! If the HID give good results, I'll pass on the 2 spare bulbs + harnesses to you since you're so close by, I've got enough parts for a complete extra set!

Picked up the city lights today from the mail, and will start researching the DIY tonight, I've been running no DRLs for the last little while, and really want some lights on during the day for safety reasons, but don't like the stock DRLs compared to the city lights.

Side note, someone is selling an IE Powerlink dongle on the marketplace for $75, was thinking about picking one up, but I'm not sure if IE lets you order their Stage 1 tune standalone apart from the dongle. I'm still 6/7 months out in my budget before I should responsibly buy the tune, but any knowledge here?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #1370
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyesChest View Post
I'd be down for that haha, I did a ton a research into LED vs HID, so I'd love to see the results! If the HID give good results, I'll pass on the 2 spare bulbs + harnesses to you since you're so close by, I've got enough parts for a complete extra set!

Picked up the city lights today from the mail, and will start researching the DIY tonight, I've been running no DRLs for the last little while, and really want some lights on during the day for safety reasons, but don't like the stock DRLs compared to the city light.
Side note, someone is selling an IE Powerlink dongle on the marketplace for $75, was thinking about picking one up, but I'm not sure if IE lets you order their Stage 1 tune standalone apart from the dongle. I'm still 6/7 months out in my budget before I should responsibly buy the tune, but any knowledge here?
I use the stock DRL, don't care what it looks like so long as it works.

I thought you went UM, if you decide to go IE you don't have to buy the IE dongle, you're welcome to use mine to load the IE Tune using my dongle and your Laptop,...no charge.

Last edited by MLue1; 01-14-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: no charge
Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #1371
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Quote:
I use the stock DRL, don't care what it looks like so long as it works.

I thought you went UM, if you decide to go IE you don't have to buy the IE dongle, you're welcome to use mine to load the IE Tune using my dongle and your Laptop,...no charge.
No tune for me yet! I'll be waiting for the next IE sale and hopping on that. Hopefully a sale and good weather are coming soon! I'll definitely take you up on your offer to use the dongle, we can compare our headlights then at the same time

Picked up a cheap auto dimming rearview mirror on eBay from a '99 A4, and have to figure out how to retrofit it onto my windshield. Drove my friend's IS250 with auto dimming rear and sideview mirrors, and it was one of the most comfortable drives I've ever had.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #1372
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Left work and was slowly exiting my parking spot today when my RPM's started fluctuating for around 5-ish seconds.. It's happened once before and seems to be on cold starts, after that everything runs fine. No CEL yet, but any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm reading throttle body or vacuum leak online, but would love some other opinions!