GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo BOV, GFB DV+, OEM Rev D Comparison/Review

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
The Golf R has the Diverter valve relocated to the front of the engine bay stock. These are my findings and opinion when comparing the 3 different diverter valves/BOVs, with all other mods the same. Videos were taken 3 different days this week. I will put notes by each section. These are my opinions and feelings on each of these on my particular car. Enjoy the pics and videos. I do not have any logs, before or after. I may run logs at some point on the BOV setup to see fuel trims, etc. I have also since sold the GFB DV+.

GoPro Mounting Location for all videos

GoPro Location.jpg
Some Notes:

-2012 Golf R- 2Dr, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 32,xxx miles
-Unitronic Stage 2- 21 PSI
-EVOMS Intake
-HSTuning RSR Clutch
-HPA Short Shifter and bushings, brackets, etc.
-NGP Type 1 Coilovers
-TTRS BBK
-SPM Street Downpipe
-Eurosport X Brace
-OEM LED Tails

OEM Rev D
This is the original DV that came with the car, works fine. Sound was amplified after the EVOMS installation and sounds good in my opinion. Held boost fine, no complaints. 2nd best sound to the CTS.

17 degrees F for this video

RevD.jpg

Go Fast Bits DV+

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9351-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-by-gfb

I decided to try this out since everyone had such rave reviews. From what I read it seems to make the most difference on DSG cars, and I assume the stock DV location for k03 GTIs on the turbo. I don’t know if it has to do with the relocation, software or what, but this was my least favorite of the 3. It is an extremely well made piece, cleaned up the sound, while quieting the sound at the same time. This setup made the car run a little weird, it felt the slowest of the 3 on my butt dyno, and the car generally didn’t feel right. Fit was perfect, all things were included. Again, this may just be my particular car vs other cars where people loved it. 3rd in terms of sound. Too quiet, metallic sounding.

17 degrees F for this video

gfbbox2.jpg
gfbbox.jpg
gfbparts.jpg
gfb parts.jpg
gfb installed.jpg

CTS Turbo Blow off Valve

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_TURBO_2_0T_BOV_BLOW_OFF_VALVE_KIT_EA113_EA888_1-4775-568.html

I saw this released in Dec and figured I would give it a try. I like loud things. I emailed Clay at CTS who gave me a great price and shipped it right out. FedEx was impressively slow getting it to me. It came packaged well, not as flashy or compact as the DV+, but completely fine. The BOV itself is very well made, finish was fine. This one had the best sound for me, and for some reason the car absolutely rips. This goes against logic, but tells me the DV+ and Rev D may have been leaking slightly under boost. I am going to email Clay as the fitment was off. The holes for the bolts are not wide enough for the OEM bolts, this messes up the finish and makes for an awkward fitment. I will need to source some other bolts. If they had included the same bolts as GFB, this would not have been an issue.

15 degrees F for this video

box1.jpg
box2.jpg
box3.jpg
box4.jpg
Boosttap.jpg
N75.jpg
BOV side.jpg
VS Rev D
BOVREVD.jpg

CTS Bolt Interference
As you can see the OEM bolt head is too wide for the openings in the BOV body. It also interferes and does not allow the BOv to be reattached to the bracket. I am reaching out to CTS. The bolts supplied with the GFB unit would make this a non issue.
bolt not fit.jpg
bolt not fit 2.jpg
boltnotfit3.jpg
boltnotfit4.jpg

Last edited:

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I did hear back from CTS after sending these pics of the bolt issue. They said they will address it in future shipments. I will hit Home Depot on lunch and get some similar bolts as the GFB ones to clear the BOV. Should only be a couple of bucks. Besides that car is running great, pulls hard, and sounds perfect I think.

This is all personal preference and I posted this up for people wondering what each may sound like and how it makes the car feel. On my particular car, with my specific mods these are the findings.

Last edited:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Sub'd
sounds good. is it supposed to have that fluttery sound though? just curious. if you get to run some logs that'd be awesome.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Not sure if it is "supposed" to, it does that on release and seems to have cleaned up since that video. The BOV video was taken with about 20 miles on the BOV and battery having been disconnected. Think things were still adapting/ getting used to it. I do not hear it now and have about 40 or 50 miles on the setup. Now just a crisp release of air.

Sub'd
sounds good. is it supposed to have that fluttery sound though? just curious. if you get to run some logs that'd be awesome.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Picked these bolts up at Home Depot. Perfect. $3 for 6 of them. CTS did say they would include bolts with future orders.

0110151609a-1-1.jpg

0110151635a-1-1.jpg

0111151427-1-1.jpg

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
update? how's the car running?

I emailed CTS with a crap ton of questions. hopefully they respond in a timely fashion so I can report back.

Kyle805

Ready to race!
Great review, glad to see someone else is brave enough to try out a bov on these cars. I loved my forge when I had mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Running better than ever. Seriously no issues at all, no CEL, no weird noises, car pulls harder than ever before. I really like the sound it seems to have cleaned up a little and gotten rid of some of that "flutter" sound. Its more of just a crisp air release and then done. No b.s..

update? how's the car running?

I emailed CTS with a crap ton of questions. hopefully they respond in a timely fashion so I can report back.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Thanks. Hope it can help some people compare our options in one place. Anyone else is welcome to post videos or thoughts on other blow off valves, or DV options if they'd like. Now at 250 miles with the BOV and couldn't be happier.

Great review, glad to see someone else is brave enough to try out a bov on these cars. I loved my forge when I had mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion

Cool, are you thinking about running one of these? It would be interesting to hear from some people using one of these in the stock dv location to the amount of blowby they are seeing around the turbo.

Gotta admit the little kid in me does sort of dig the sound, course with DSG would probably be a waste.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Cool, are you thinking about running one of these? It would be interesting to hear from some people using one of these in the stock dv location to the amount of blowby they are seeing around the turbo.

Gotta admit the little kid in me does sort of dig the sound, course with DSG would probably be a waste.

meh. maybe. the 12 year old in me wants one but I want some more info on it first.

How much shit would it be spitting out though? hopefully not too much lol

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Depends I guess where your DV is mounted. Mine being right by the throttle body only really spits a tiny bit of condensation, really not much of anything coming out. I bet if right by the turbo if not relocated it would be a lot of crap.

meh. maybe. the 12 year old in me wants one but I want some more info on it first.

How much shit would it be spitting out though? hopefully not too much lol