GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

track cooked my brakes. pad only an option?

Doommachine_

so the stock brakes on my 2011 GTI totally went dead at the track today. there is 2 heavy braking zones on Streets of Willow CCW and from braking hard in those the fronts got too hot and overheated the pads and I also cooked my fluid and the pedal went all soggy despite me flushing and putting in DOT4 last night. I know some of the issue is just the pad being junk street pads but I am wondering if anyone has feedback as to if just a spare set of rotors and carbotech pads will be enough for track use. I had considered doing porsche caliper upgrade but am always careful with my money and would rather just swap pads and rotors for track days if that will do the trick

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
so the stock brakes on my 2011 GTI totally went dead at the track today. there is 2 heavy braking zones on Streets of Willow CCW and from braking hard in those the fronts got too hot and overheated the pads and I also cooked my fluid and the pedal went all soggy despite me flushing and putting in DOT4 last night. I know some of the issue is just the pad being junk street pads but I am wondering if anyone has feedback as to if just a spare set of rotors and carbotech pads will be enough for track use. I had considered doing porsche caliper upgrade but am always careful with my money and would rather just swap pads and rotors for track days if that will do the trick
You can get away with a nice set of track pads. Carbotech xp10 do well. Fluid is the most important. I've ran all sorts of race fluid, Castrol srf is by far the best I've used. I had issues with rbf600 and 660 with it cooking the fluid. Srf has performed amazing. It's a bit expensive though but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dub*man

Ready to race!
Use Endless RB650 Fluid and never look back. Many OEM racing teams switched from Castrol SRF to Endless RB650

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
You can get away with a nice set of track pads. Carbotech xp10 do well. Fluid is the most important. I've ran all sorts of race fluid, Castrol srf is by far the best I've used. I had issues with rbf600 and 660 with it cooking the fluid. Srf has performed amazing. It's a bit expensive though but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This. the stoptech stuff that tirerack sells is no good as well.

Castrol SRF +1

+2

Castrol SRF comes in a 1 Liter bottle. Is this enough for a complete flush?

yup.

Eowyn89

FWIW - A couple of years ago I cooked my stock brakes coming out of the main straight at Summit Point (~.75 straight away, hitting ~100 MPH) braking hard for a sharp right turn (Turn 1). I upgraded to Hawk HPS pads on stock rotors w/ ATE Typ 200 (DOT 4) brake fluid and the new setup has never failed me through multiple HPDE/TNiA events since.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
This. the stoptech stuff that tirerack sells is no good as well.

Stoptech Sport (309 series) pads are more than capable on track. With pad material rated up to 1300° F with great cold/hot initial bite, I've had great experience with them on tracks like VIR, NCCAR, and Dominion. That said, for severe braking tracks like Road America, etc I would step up to a dedicated race pad like Carbotech, PFC, Ferodo, etc.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Stoptech Sport (309 series) pads are more than capable on track. With pad material rated up to 1300° F with great cold/hot initial bite, I've had great experience with them on tracks like VIR, NCCAR, and Dominion. That said, for severe braking tracks like Road America, etc I would step up to a dedicated race pad like Carbotech, PFC, Ferodo, etc.

i was talking about the fluid that stoptech sells.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
i was talking about the fluid that stoptech sells.

Ooohhh, my bad. I've ran the STR-600 fluid years ago but switched over to Motul RBF600. The published specs showed dry/wet boiling points similar to RBF600, but I never really got to verify that.

Brendon

Ready to race!
I've used RBF600 with EBC Yellow pads on stock rotors on both cars and never encountered any issues. The only issue I had with the yellows was that they slopped around a little in the R when they wore down a bit. Switched to BBK since then but still run the yellows on the GTI.

zrickety

The Fixer
+1 for ATE fluid...I ran hard and braking from ~150mph at VIR was no problem.