GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #71
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2018 VW AllTrack
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
It's so easy with the top fill method.

Main tip to speed up the filling process...When using the "Flotool 10704" funnel, remove the small metal grate. It'll allow the oil to flow quicker through the funnel. Also, use a 16.9 oz Poland Spring water bottle to measure out the 0.3L out of the 5L of DSG fluid. 0.3L on the water bottle is right at the bottom line of the label.
The funnel I used kept closing itself, so I had to hold it the entire time After 10min of the fluid not moving, I was like.. da heck. So if you don't see it going down, make sure the funnel didn't close.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #72
2012TP
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Slow
Weather was great today for mid/late January and was able to get an oil change + DSG flush cranked out in a little over 1.5hrs, including a trip to Home Depot for the 14mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
It's so easy with the top fill method.

Main tip to speed up the filling process...When using the "Flotool 10704" funnel, remove the small metal grate. It'll allow the oil to flow quicker through the funnel. Also, use a 16.9 oz Poland Spring water bottle to measure out the 0.3L out of the 5L of DSG fluid. 0.3L on the water bottle is right at the bottom line of the label.
'preciate the tips. Used both and couldn't have gone smoother. Left the fluid in the sun for a little to warm and it filled relatively quick. No where near 45min like i've read...maybe half that.

Its an easy DIY and a great way to save some bucks. I paid my shop $180, fluid/filter included, last time since i didn't want to be bothered. They quoted me $350 this time around. Wasn't having that. Cost me $84 to DIY. $76 for LiquiMoly fluid + filter, and $8 for the 14mm
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #73
Johnrlove66@gmail.com

Drives: Jetta GLI Mk6
Thank You DSGVW

Hi folks,

I just thought I would report back and give you a newbies thoughts on their first DSG fluid change.

I was very worried about changing the fluid in my wifeís Passat DSG transmission until I hit on this forum. The Passat has 123K on the clock and had never had a service. I was worried changing the fluid would cause problems.

After reading here and following links to excellent resources I now understand the DSG works less like a normal auto trans and more like a motorcycle trans since it uses wet clutches. I now felt confident I wasnít going to ruin it by replacing the oil.

I purchased a kit with Motul oil, filter, o-ring, and crush washer for $120.00 and set aside a day this weekend so I could take my time. After reading it seems the measure and replace method was the easiest. I let the car sit overnight figuring I would measure the cold drain oil and replace with the same amount of cold oil. This may have made the oil drain a bit slower, but it still didnít take long.

When the drain was done I measured exactly 4.7 quarts. Before measuring I took two empty bottles and marked the 4quart level on one and 1 quart on the other. I filled the 4 quart jug and put the rest into the other. It filled to below the 1 quart line I had marked, and I guessed it was at .7 quarts. I took my first bottle of fluid and topped off the jug up to the 1 quart line. Now I had the exact amount of fresh oil ready to go back in. The oil that came out was absolutely black, but I saw no particulates and none settled in the jugs after filling them.

The top fill method was easy if you can turn a wrench. It does take time to fill, wait, fill, wait, so while I waited I did a motor oil change. Both oil changes took me about 3 hours since I really took my time.

After everything was wrapped up I started the car and cycled through the the gears, pausing at each one I did this 2 or three times and went for a drive to get thing up to temperature. I noticed immediately the car was shifting silky smooth, almost imperceptible. I had forgotten how great a transmission the DSG is and I would say it is shifting like new again. The whole process was a fun learning experience and Iím very happy with the results.

So thanks again for the excellent thread and happy motoring
Johnrlove66@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote