GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Euro Switch question, but wait....

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks zVp, the idea is to have the fogs as drl's but also be able to turn them off if I want.

Not sure about the legality as so many cars don't run drl's but... it's very nice that people here are so concerned about the safety, Thanks.

Think I might be selling a euro switch (that I never even installed)

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
AFAIK, it's not mandatory to run DRLs in the US. So they can be toggled on and off.

Central Electronic (09)

Byte 09
Bit 7 (off) Manual Activation/Deactivation for Daytime/Permanent Running Lights (DRL/PRL) suppressed

Byte 15
Bit 7 (on) Daytime Running Light (DRL) Adaptation active (MFA +)

I don't have halogens, so I can't tell you how to enable your fogs as DRLs. Perhaps someone else could?

Thanks!

Since I'm a VCDS newb, do I do both? (which is what it seems since you included both in your answer)

I'm a little confused about the language/wording from the byte 09 "manual activation/deactivation" as off or supressed, I'm guessing off refers to "permanent running lights" and not the ability to manually turn them on/off.

Sorry to even need a clarification, I'll be getting help from my friend at a shop that has the cable (I don't have one) so I want to make it as easy as possible and he told me to know what I want since he doesn't have an mkVI.

The byte 15 seems easily understood.

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
Tim s, thanks again (very helpful) I think I must be a little defensive after getting berated/deleted on vortex, so apologies for my earlier post if it seemed a little angry, maturity much appreciated!

zVp, any VCDS hint on fogs as drl's? sorry to be lazy, just thought I'd ask if you're still around.

zVp

Go Kart Champion

Go to Byte 14; checkmark Bit 1 - Daytime Running Lights (DRL) via Fog Lights active.

This is to get your fogs running as your DRLs.

Go to Byte 15; check off Bit 6 - Daytime Running Lights (DRL) via seperate Lights active.

This disables your DRLs on your Halogens.

I *believe* this is how you disable DRLs on your halogens and get fogs as DRLs. This will not work with Xenons as you have to change something else.

Let us know what happens. I can't guarantee it will work since I've only done it on a Xenon equipped car (the steps are different). But I hope it works for you!

Also, Tim gave you the instructions to get the little menu on your MFD/MFA (which one is it called! LOL). I believe you can toggle your DRL fogs On/Off with it, but I'm actually not sure. I might play with that later tonight or tomorrow if I'm not lazy :)

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the help, trying to do it this weekend, will let you know what happens.

Edit: if it works gonna be selling the euro switch.

Mrgoingdown

Not your normal one.

I have searched here, and on vortex, and on google.....can't find the answer. My google-fu is strong, but I am no master. If I missed it, you can berate me all you want, as long as you point me to the info I need. :D

I bought a euro switch and will be installing it this weekend, found someone to help me with VAGCOM but need to know the code and bytes for what I want.

Now, all I can find is threads on how to disable the DRLs with the euro switch.

I DO NOT WANT THIS.

I have the 2012 with the xenons, and actually like the DRLs.

So here are my questions, because the DIY on vortex seems to operate around the premise that the DRLs will be turned off with VAGCOM.

If the ONLY function I want out of my euro switch is to be able to turn on the fog lights WITHOUT turning on the headlights (parking + fogs only);

Do i need the trigger wire installed or is this used to deactivate DRLs?

Do I need to VAGCOM at all, or does the switch position handle that? Logic would state that the switch controls the lights and when they turn on, but this IS a German computer controlled car, and most threads I have seen state you have to have VAGCOM to install a euro switch at all. So, confused there.

And if VAGCOM is needed for parking + fogs only does anyone know the code and byte for it?

So, to sum up. I want DRLs left alone, and the ability to turn the fogs on without headlights on.

Could you provide me witht he Part # on ECStunning for the trigger wire, i can't find it anywhere!!!

Thanks in adavance,