GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Missing the MKV

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I love my 2010 GTI but I miss the "make no mistake" look of the front end on my 08 GTI. The blacked out waterfall grill, single red stripe and xenon's really made an impact as it approached other cars. The front of the MK6 looks more like a normal car where the MK5 had a little character to it. Just my opinion.
I don't miss the cheap/basic looking rear of the lower bumper and one sided dual exhaust of my MK5 though!

BentValve

Ready to race!
I love my 2010 GTI but I miss the "make no mistake" look of the front end on my 08 GTI. The blacked out waterfall grill, single red stripe and xenon's really made an impact as it approached other cars. The front of the MK6 looks more like a normal car where the MK5 had a little character to it. Just my opinion.
I don't miss the cheap/basic looking rear of the lower bumper and one sided dual exhaust of my MK5 though!

Pics please, I don't know what a MK5 looks like.

plat

Ready to race!

I liked the front end look of the '06 to 08 GTI's but I was not ready to buy one back then. The look of the MK6 is OK with me.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Different tastes I guess. To me what you linked doesn't speak to me of what was said. I honestly didn't even take a second glance at MK5.

P

plac

i also did prefer the look of my 3 MK5 GTIs, but i can live with the MK6 looks and new interior.

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
Wouldn't it be awesome if you could combine the front of the MKV with the back of the MK6 :thumbup: I love the front of the MKV, looks umm.. agressive :paddle:

it was aggressive. You always knew when one was coming down the road. i still had lots of people comment on the car 4 years after it came out. I can't believe I never took pics of it though! I'm so mad at myself for that.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know but I really like the MKVI front myself but that is why colors were created, to each...

ex mk5'er here.... yup... the front was fantastic. The halogen high beam "encasing" was a little old-school but the rest was the bidness.

Having said that, I love the mk6 rear, the sides, the interior, the comfier seats, the wide stance, and the front w/ HIds has grown on me. The Fogs are still a bit silly to me....

mk5 rear = still a drawback.

So, is MK6 wider than MK5? Longer? Taller? (sorry for side tracking, but very curious.)

no, it isn't wider by any more than an inch or so. The designers have given the illusion that it is wider by creating a wider front fender and rear bumpers... etc... slightly more imposing overhangs at the front and back and in front of the rear wheelarch....

Check one out at the dealer...

The wheelbase is identical to the mk5 I believe. The mk6 is an inch lower as I recall.

cleanmk5

Go Kart Champion
I also had an 07 mkv and when the mk6 came out I thought it was to plain and loved the front of my mkv but now that I own a 2010 I for some reason can't stand the look of mKv's anymore.

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
... I miss the "make no mistake" look of the front end on my 08 GTI. The blacked out waterfall grill, single red stripe and xenon's really made an impact as it approached other cars. The front of the MK6 looks more like a normal car where the MK5 had a little character to it ...

This is my leading reason for not trading in my MkV for a Mk6. The Mk6 has more generic styling, not necessarily a bad thing (may attract new buyers into the fold for VW). But I just hope that VW returns to more distinctive styling with the Mk7 GTI.