GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Coilover Suggestions

Alizzo

Ready to race!
Got my 2010 MK6 and it's time to get the suspension out of the way.

Here's what I know:

1. Coilovers for sure
2. Do not want to go too extreme, low enough to have a little tuck
3. Definitely want as smooth a ride as possible

I've heard H&R's (Ultra Lows) are a good way to go and have been estimated at around $900.

I've also heard FK's are good for around $700.

1. What do you guys think?
2. What do you have?
3. How's the ride?
4. What's the average cost for coilovers?
5. What's the average cost for labor?
6. How low did you go?

Thanks for all suggestions/help/advice!

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
are you gonna track your car? if not, get racelands bro, i'm telling you. $300 brand new shipped off ebay. the springs are pretty soft though so the ride feels about stock. but they'll take you as low as you wanna go and have a 3 year warranty.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
are you gonna track your car? if not, get racelands bro, i'm telling you. $300 brand new shipped off ebay. the springs are pretty soft though so the ride feels about stock. but they'll take you as low as you wanna go and have a 3 year warranty.

No track. Just daily driver.

I've had springs before and the ride was SO bad. I told myself I wouldn't do it again. You have these on your GTI?

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
yup yup

and they can go lower than that, i just have to roll my fenders. the ride is surprisingly smooth.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion

yup yup
and they can go lower than that, i just have to roll my fenders. the ride is surprisingly smooth.

The car LOOKS good, but I know for a fact that racelands are not great for daily low use. They are a good TEMPORARY solution for low until you can afford something proper like FK's or H&R's. Problem with RL's is that they get super soft under load. So put 5 people and some tools in your car go for a ride then tell me how much you like them....... Just saying.

I've modded a set before by cutting the dead coil off. Even still could only get to around 24" fender to ground which by my standards = unacceptable.

Don't cheap out, just do it right the first time. Find out whats the best solution for you. Personally I'd go H&R's or B&G's, Fk's are great though and really do ride great at some pretty insane heights. I know some one who daily drives at 22" F FTG and 21.33 R FTG and its as comfortable as stock if you can get past all the scraping and rubbing :D

That said, if you have no interest in going that low, get Koni's. Probably the most comfortable coilover out there. Still go plenty low for your average person.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
ST Coilovers, or the HPA SHS suspension kit are also great choices for KW-based units for a budget price. Very smooth riding.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
ST Coilovers, or the HPA SHS suspension kit are also great choices for KW-based units for a budget price. Very smooth riding.

Don't forget that KW makes the eibach coilovers. Normally you can find those things for 500-650 used. Not bad for KW V1's. They don't go low at all, aren't dampening adjustable, but offer a pretty comfortable ride.

Alizzo

Ready to race!
That said, if you have no interest in going that low, get Koni's. Probably the most comfortable coilover out there. Still go plenty low for your average person.

I haven't looked into the Koni's yet. Your description sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully the price isn't too outrageous. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $700 to $900.

Thanks for all the help!

DayMan

Ready to race!
H&R Ultra lows are to take it to the ground.. Slammed!! I have the H&R street Performance and they are perfect for daily drivers.. I have 19x8's et45 and have these all the way down with no issues of rub or bullshit.. Perfect drop IMO.. They perform way better than stock.. Even better with my stock 17's than the 19's... Check em out.. H&R is the way to go unless you can afford some Bilstein's ... I wouldn't trust my life to a$300 suspention.. Spend the money you wont regret it..

Attachments

• 59062_1447734589176_1107535813_31171896_6957769_n.jpg
    59062_1447734589176_1107535813_31171896_6957769_n.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 239

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
Konis all day! Had them on for about 6 months and they are great! Coils are fully adjustable firm/hard and the height. They go pretty low I mean I had 19s and it looked perfect (check out my profile on here and my albums) so for daily or track you will love them since you can adjust 'em any way you want! Ohh and life time warranty is the best part!

Alizzo

Ready to race!
Konis all day! Had them on for about 6 months and they are great! Coils are fully adjustable firm/hard and the height. They go pretty low I mean I had 19s and it looked perfect (check out my profile on here and my albums) so for daily or track you will love them since you can adjust 'em any way you want! Ohh and life time warranty is the best part!

Yeah, more and more I'm thinking Koni's are the way to go.

Thanks for your suggestion!

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
I might be selling mine in few months since I'm thinking about bags, if u will be still interested. I love the drop with Konis but I wanna go loweeeerrrrrrrrrrrr_______