GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Roctre

Ready to race!
Hoping you guys can help with my problem. So my car has like a slight stutter in the idle only when its fully warmed up. My cold start idle went away when I did my carbon cleaning. I have new R8 coils and ngk plugs in the car. At this point im not sure what it is because I also have a brand new intake manifold.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hoping you guys can help with my problem. So my car has like a slight stutter in the idle only when its fully warmed up. My cold start idle went away when I did my carbon cleaning. I have new R8 coils and ngk plugs in the car. At this point im not sure what it is because I also have a brand new intake manifold.

were the plugs DIY or professionally done? gapped plugs properly? any chance you have a video that would demo the stutter?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
How often are we supposed to change the fuel filter? And will it help if replaced, with MPG's if your current one is wornout?

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Book says 40k on it. I suspect it will help just like cleaning your engine filter helps

Sent from phone Tapa

I read through my manual looking for when to change it out but mine says absolutely nothing about the fuel filter unless you have a diesel

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I have a gti. I believe this number is from the online manual. But i checked ecstuning service kits, and they have the fuel filter in the 60k one.
Do it somewhere in that region, 40k-60k.

Sent from phone Tapa

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
My '11 GTI has a rear view camera, but sometimes it doesnt work... When i put it in "R" i can hear the VW logo pop open, but the camera-view doesnt show op on my RNS510, It just stays on the orange screen with the Golf pictured. This is the third time happening already, it always tends to work the next day when i get in my car.

Is this a common issue or something...?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Did the plugs myself with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006BV7Z4Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I dont have a video but its kind of like 1 misfire every few seconds.

did you torque these or just wing it with the turn-and-a-half method like ive seen on some DIY videos?

check the seating of your coils and ensure that it is plugged into the harness right.

if you have VCDS or can find one to figure out which one is misfiring, try swapping with one next to it and see if it jumps from one to another (vindictive of a bad coil pack)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My '11 GTI has a rear view camera, but sometimes it doesnt work... When i put it in "R" i can hear the VW logo pop open, but the camera-view doesnt show op on my RNS510, It just stays on the orange screen with the Golf pictured. This is the third time happening already, it always tends to work the next day when i get in my car.

Is this a common issue or something...?

inspect for damage to the camera.

has it always done this? did you install or did you buy the car with this installed? know if it is OEM? if you have the ability, pop the radio out and make sure the harness that plugs into the back of the head unit is seated right.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
inspect for damage to the camera.

has it always done this? did you install or did you buy the car with this installed? know if it is OEM? if you have the ability, pop the radio out and make sure the harness that plugs into the back of the head unit is seated right.

I got the car just a month ago, and it was already installed. I honestly dont know if its OEM or not... I will inspect the camera tomorrow morning when its light outside. Yeah, i can pop the radio out, i will probably do that if i cant find any damage to the camera itself.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I got the car just a month ago, and it was already installed. I honestly dont know if its OEM or not... I will inspect the camera tomorrow morning when its light outside. Yeah, i can pop the radio out, i will probably do that if i cant find any damage to the camera itself.

if you dont see any issues on the head unit end, you may need yto pop the panel off the hatch (inside) and check the wiring there. theres a DIY on how to install this that may be helpful

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
if you dont see any issues on the head unit end, you may need yto pop the panel off the hatch (inside) and check the wiring there. theres a DIY on how to install this that may be helpful

Today it worked perfectly, for the whole day. I'll just look more in to it the next time when it tends not to work again. Since i dont wanna fuck it up now it works again.

Another question - My car has keyless go, but today whilst driving a message popped up wich said "key not found" (key was in car) and after that somethings along the lines of "keyless go error/doesnt work". It worked perfectly after that tho...? Shall i be worried?

tonymk6

Ready to race!
Has anyone had their exhaust tips get so dirty the spot literally doesn't come off? I bought the car used and I swore they were spray painted black, I've tried everything on them and they just stay a weird grey black color :(

Also, has anyone noticed the throttle response in D and Manual mode is different? Try cruising in D or M and don't move your foot but switch over, your RPM's drop in M and go up in D. Any reason for that?