GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
This is a very good question.

But yeah I’ve honestly never broken one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Could new front upper strut mounts result in similar effects to new motor mounts and/or dogbone mount?

Reason I ask...Today I had my timing tensioner and chain replaced. I also had my 034 strut mounts replaced with ttrs strut mounts. Now it doesn't feel/sound like my car. There's definitely more NVH than I'm used to, but it seems to be based on RPMs. The exhaust tone also seems slightly different. Both of those things I remember happening when I got new motor mounts, but I don't remember having any extra NVH when I had the strut mounts installed the first time. I actually kinda like it though, but it's not something I expected and I can't really figure out why my car feels so different.

My other guess is I had a motor mount loose and when they did the timing job they removed the mount and retorqued it and now it just feels the way it should be.

Maybe I'm just being extra sensitive because I haven't driven my car in a couple days and I've been driving a big floppy truck instead.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Could new front upper strut mounts result in similar effects to new motor mounts and/or dogbone mount?

Reason I ask...Today I had my timing tensioner and chain replaced. I also had my 034 strut mounts replaced with ttrs strut mounts. Now it doesn't feel/sound like my car. There's definitely more NVH than I'm used to, but it seems to be based on RPMs. The exhaust tone also seems slightly different. Both of those things I remember happening when I got new motor mounts, but I don't remember having any extra NVH when I had the strut mounts installed the first time. I actually kinda like it though, but it's not something I expected and I can't really figure out why my car feels so different.

My other guess is I had a motor mount loose and when they did the timing job they removed the mount and retorqued it and now it just feels the way it should be.

Maybe I'm just being extra sensitive because I haven't driven my car in a couple days and I've been driving a big floppy truck instead.

or maybe they didn't torque it enough?

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Hey guys! I really need help from you guys...

Today i tried to start my car for the first time since two days. When i got in the car and tried to start it, it didnt start (video below). The MFA screen gave an error on the Brakes, and later on it gave an error for the Airbag. Also the Handbrake light kept flashing the whole time, at the first try to start the car.

Here is a video of what the car does when i try to start it. (MFA says that the DSG should be in either P or N, but it already was in P...)

Sorry for just the link, dont know how i put a video here.

https://youtu.be/m2-b3D06LAc

Would highly appreciate any help!:)

Edit: Now i see the video, i see that also the time/clock on the MFA screen has changed , it doesnt show the actual time (16:00 PM).

Jaber

Modero
Hey guys! I really need help from you guys...

Today i tried to start my car for the first time since two days. When i got in the car and tried to start it, it didnt start (video below). The MFA screen gave an error on the Brakes, and later on it gave an error for the Airbag. Also the Handbrake light kept flashing the whole time, at the first try to start the car.

Here is a video of what the car does when i try to start it. (MFA says that the DSG should be in either P or N, but it already was in P...)

Sorry for just the link, dont know how i put a video here.

https://youtu.be/m2-b3D06LAc

Would highly appreciate any help!:)

Edit: Now i see the video, i see that also the time/clock on the MFA screen has changed , it doesnt show the actual time (16:00 PM).

Looks like battery.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Looks like battery.

Now you mention it, it could definitely be the battery.

I have never changed a battery myself, is it hard to do for someone that has never changed something on the engine...?

I rather have a local garage to do it from me, but the car is in a underground garage parked, i doubt a towtruck would fit in, so thats kinda a problem right now.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

I have never changed a battery myself, is it hard to do for someone that has never changed something on the engine...?

I rather have a local garage to do it from me, but the car is in a underground garage parked, i doubt a towtruck would fit in, so thats kinda a problem right now.

Grab a socket and a ratchet for the socket. That’s pretty much all you need IIRC

Jaber

Modero

Changing battery is easy. Here is a DIY video that will help show the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGhLT81p7OQ

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
or maybe they didn't torque it enough?

Dunno, I have no idea what to think. I even called the shop to ask what they thought and they were stumped. It literally feels like I just had stiffer motor mounts installed. I really don't see how new upper strut mounts could add extra vibrations while parked and revving the motor a little, so I don't think it's that. A new tensioner and chain was installed too, but with as good as the car is running I can't imagine it's anything related to the timing. I'm at a loss. As long as my engine doesn't blow up or fly off the mounts and there's nothing wrong then no problem. I'm actually happy about how it feels now, but I wish I could figure out the reason.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Grab a socket and a ratchet for the socket. That’s pretty much all you need IIRC

Changing battery is easy. Here is a DIY video that will help show the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGhLT81p7OQ

It indeed was a dead battery. We didnt change the battery, but jump started it with a mate. The car started immediatly on the first try, after that i went for a 30 min drive, and everything seems fine now. He also measured the battery with a multimeter, precentage was somewhere around 14.75 or so... Went to the local garage and the mechanic told me that everything looked fine.

Now i got a question: is the battery near its end and is it time for a new one? I dont know how it died anyway, since there were no light switches left on or something. I think the battery isnt that old, maybe 2 years old, it has been replaced by one of the previous owners if im not mistaken.

Guys, thanks for the replies!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
It indeed was a dead battery. We didnt change the battery, but jump started it with a mate. The car started immediatly on the first try, after that i went for a 30 min drive, and everything seems fine now. He also measured the battery with a multimeter, precentage was somewhere around 14.75 or so... Went to the local garage and the mechanic told me that everything looked fine.

Now i got a question: is the battery near its end and is it time for a new one? I dont know how it died anyway, since there were no light switches left on or something. I think the battery isnt that old, maybe 2 years old, it has been replaced by one of the previous owners if im not mistaken.

Guys, thanks for the replies!

how long has it been in service and where in the world are you?

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
how long has it been in service and where in the world are you?

Guys, quick update on all of the above ^

On Tuesday after we jump started the car, the car worked perfect. Yesterday (friday) there was no problem either. Today (saturday) i started the car in the morning to see how it reacted, and it worked, however a couple hours later the car didnt wanna start because of a dead battery.

What does this mean? Is my voltage regulator not doing its job to (re)charge the battery, or is my battery really dead and do i need a new one?

@uglybastard, what do you mean with “how long its been in service?). Im from the netherlands, my car is a Edition 35 incase it matters.

Thanks guys!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Guys, quick update on all of the above ^

On Tuesday after we jump started the car, the car worked perfect. Yesterday (friday) there was no problem either. Today (saturday) i started the car in the morning to see how it reacted, and it worked, however a couple hours later the car didnt wanna start because of a dead battery.

What does this mean? Is my voltage regulator not doing its job to (re)charge the battery, or is my battery really dead and do i need a new one?

@uglybastard, what do you mean with “how long its been in service?). Im from the netherlands, my car is a Edition 35 incase it matters.

Thanks guys!

Is this the original battery? That's what I meant sorry. I'd guess it's a bad battery if so. Battery longevity varies a bit region to region. I would start there before doing anything else more invasive.