GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
ben_m
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 286
Replacement cost for Timing Chain and Tensioner

Got a quote from the Dealer for $1,500 for the Chain and Tensioner. I'm going to check to see if I have the revised Tensioner before doing the work. My car was built late April/Early May 2012 so I'm pretty sure that I missed out on the revised part.

Does that quote seem inline with what others were paying? My Geico warranty runs out next month (7years/70K) and I understand it has a much better chain along with revised tensioner. I know a lot of people usually just get the Tensioner but the dealer said its not worth just doing that. (Obv trying to increase business)

Do you guys think its worth just getting both or just stick with the Tensioner?
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: United Gray Stratified Rev1
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_m View Post
Got a quote from the Dealer for $1,500 for the Chain and Tensioner. I'm going to check to see if I have the revised Tensioner before doing the work. My car was built late April/Early May 2012 so I'm pretty sure that I missed out on the revised part.



Does that quote seem inline with what others were paying? My Geico warranty runs out next month (7years/70K) and I understand it has a much better chain along with revised tensioner. I know a lot of people usually just get the Tensioner but the dealer said its not worth just doing that. (Obv trying to increase business)



Do you guys think its worth just getting both or just stick with the Tensioner?
You know your covered til at least 100k if not 120k right? I forget the exact mileage they warranted as of late.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
torga
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
torga's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by notovicrious View Post
You know your covered til at least 100k if not 120k right? I forget the exact mileage they warranted as of late.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you're covered, the warranty only kicks in if the tensioner already failed. It will not cover preventative maintenance.

To answer OP's last question, it's absolutely worth doing both. Adding on the chain will be a small additional cost vs. paying for all the labor to tear into the timing system again later down the road.
__________________
Build Thread; Slowly But Surely
torga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
ben_m
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by notovicrious View Post
You know your covered til at least 100k if not 120k right? I forget the exact mileage they warranted as of late.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I know they had a Lawsuit. I never got a letter stating they would honor the Chain/Tensioner. If I was under the extension list I should have received something correct?

Update: It looks like they would only partially cover repairs to the engine if it failed. Since the engine is pretty much guaranteed to fail if the tensioner goes I'd still be on the hook for roughly 40% replacement costs which is more than the new Chain/Tensioner.

Last edited by ben_m; 05-22-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: UPDATE
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: United Gray Stratified Rev1
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_m View Post
I know they had a Lawsuit. I never got a letter stating they would honor the Chain/Tensioner. If I was under the extension list I should have received something correct?

Update: It looks like they would only partially cover repairs to the engine if it failed. Since the engine is pretty much guaranteed to fail if the tensioner goes I'd still be on the hook for roughly 40% replacement costs which is more than the new Chain/Tensioner.
Are you the original owner? It's a toss up when it comes to bent valves and such but surely for the piece of mind I'm with you on replacing tensioner and chain if you got the bread. Can you do the work yourself?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: United Gray Stratified Rev1
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by torga View Post
If you're covered, the warranty only kicks in if the tensioner already failed. It will not cover preventative maintenance.

To answer OP's last question, it's absolutely worth doing both. Adding on the chain will be a small additional cost vs. paying for all the labor to tear into the timing system again later down the road.
I know that Sir but I was getting around to assuring the OP incase he didn't want to spend on the fact that he didn't have to worry about his Geico warranty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: United Gray Stratified Rev1
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,823
You can get an OEM kit with everything necessary for $600. The rest is labor and taxes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
ben_m
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by notovicrious View Post
Are you the original owner? It's a toss up when it comes to bent valves and such but surely for the piece of mind I'm with you on replacing tensioner and chain if you got the bread. Can you do the work yourself?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes to original owner. Had it 7 years coming up next month. Could I do the work? Maybe, but its my daily driver and I have 3 kids, 1 of which is 4 weeks old, so time isn't exactly something I have. And something I'd rather not have my car lose. (Bad timing joke...)
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: United Gray Stratified Rev1
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_m View Post
Yes to original owner. Had it 7 years coming up next month. Could I do the work? Maybe, but its my daily driver and I have 3 kids, 1 of which is 4 weeks old, so time isn't exactly something I have. And something I'd rather not have my car lose. (Bad timing joke...)
I hear you. Either way you go it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
2012TP
Rally Car Champion
 
2012TP's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: LI.NY
Posts: 377
$1500 seems to be the going rate for the whole job, at least in this area.
__________________
=====(\x/)=====
2012TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
aj_law
Formula 5000 Driver
 
aj_law's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by notovicrious View Post
You can get an OEM kit with everything necessary for $600. The rest is labor and taxes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, was gonna say pretty much this.

Seem to recall quote I got was between 1.5 to 1.6K from a very reputable euro shop.
__________________
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 155K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...*sigh*): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit. Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip/rear emblem insert // OEM Black emblems // Depo Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete.
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
ben_m
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 286
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Got my car scheduled for 1st week of June. The nice thing is the dealer puts a 1 year warranty on their work, so if they screw it up I'm covered. And while $1,500 isn't something I want to part with, still a hell of a lot cheaper than getting another car.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
ben_m
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 286
Update:

I do have the revised tensioner! Unfortunately the chain has been stretching (dealer said about 4 teeth and by 7 its recommended to replace) At least I can kick the can down the road for a bit.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.