GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 4DR GTI
Help finding Timing Parts

I'm putting together a master list to order everything for complete timing revamp so i can stop worrying about engine exploding lol

Having a hard time finding parts #7 bolt, #8 washer, and #5 bolt for the cambridge. Also should I replace #6 while i'm in there. I've managed to find everything else I believe I need.

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...exploded_view/
godnf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
torga
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
IIRC, Deutsche Auto Parts sells a complete kit with everything you need.
Engine/Drivetrain: GIAC Stage 1+, Beluga CBE, BSH mounts, BSH intake, ECS SSK, GFB DV+, Neuspeed pipes; Suspension: FK Streetline-X coils, H&R rear ARB, Rotiform RSE; Exterior/Interior: OEM R20 Euro tails, BFI shift knob, RCD330+ // full mod list
torga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI / K04 / 6MT
According to ETKA:
#7: N 910 967 01
#8: WHT 003 336
#5: N 104 707 03 (No need to replace these IMO, mine have been in and out a few times)
#6 is the N205 valve and no need to replace this unless it's faulty (it's pricey and easy enough to replace by simply removing the camshaft adjustment magnet - 3 bolts)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Thanks for this, was looking for something like ETKA and with your mentioning it, was able to also find and confirm part numbers you listed. Awesome! https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/g.../1/103-103052/

While we are on topic, you guys happen to know where in VW workshop manuals I can find the camshaft bridge removal/install details with torque specs? I downloaded all the GTI stuff from erwin, but can't seem to find it in the timing section, just mention of replacing the cambridge seal and timing cover oil seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
According to ETKA:
#7: N 910 967 01
#8: WHT 003 336
#5: N 104 707 03 (No need to replace these IMO, mine have been in and out a few times)
#6 is the N205 valve and no need to replace this unless it's faulty (it's pricey and easy enough to replace by simply removing the camshaft adjustment magnet - 3 bolts)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnf8 View Post
While we are on topic, you guys happen to know where in VW workshop manuals I can find the camshaft bridge removal/install details with torque specs? I downloaded all the GTI stuff from erwin, but can't seem to find it in the timing section, just mention of replacing the cambridge seal and timing cover oil seal.
The cam bridge is easy enough to remove once you have the upper timing cover off and the engine mount removed.

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa..._timing_chain/

And the torque specs are listed on the exploded view that you posted a link to originally (9nm for the main bolts, 8nm+90* for the small bolt with washer). When you reinstall the cam bridge it will be tight because the cams are being squeezed towards each other. If necessary, wiggle the cams while gently tapping the cam bridge into place with a soft face hammer. It all makes sense when you do it. Make sure to check the cam bridge screen for tear out. I recommend removing the screen if it's still in place, and trying to find it lodged in an oil passage if it's blown out.

If you're not familiar with this document definitely download it. Best reference guide for torque specs/sequences.

Lastly, if you haven't already read through my Timing Chain Replacement tips I recommend you do. I have a lot of links to resources there and many lessons learned (most everything I've posted in this thread is already in that post). Use the link in my signature.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Tony48, I must be blind because I still don't see the torque specs in the exploded view. The only thing I see is torque specs to a chapter link, but I get a blank page saying blocked when I try to access links off any of these manuals. Also the other document you linked gave me a 404 error when accessing. What about torque spec for the reverse threaded piece, 30nm I think i read somewhere? I think I have read everyone's how to, tips, and watched a lot of videos
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Nevermind Tony48, was going to different exploded view, found torque specs, what about the difference in diameter? What cars have m6 vs m8 is my quest I guess. Guess I'll just caliper gauge it when I take out and make sure new one same

7 - Bolt
q Renew.
q M6: 8 Nm + turn 90 further
q M8: 20 Nm + turn 90 further.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Try this link
MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual

Pretty sure that bolt was M6 when I pulled my cam bridge but yeah, measure and torque accordingly.

Torque spec for the N205 valve (reverse threaded piece) is 35Nm. Just FYI most torque wrenches won't click in reverse so don't try to torque the N205 valve without checking your torque wrench first. It's a very positive stop once the N205 valve bottoms out so just snug it up, you shouldn't have any issues torquing it by feel.

Edit: Where in VA are you?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Chantilly area, talked wife into letting me get another car since my other one in shop all time. I'm apparently not allowed to take this one to a shop based on said promises.... so getting down and dirty.

Quote:
Try this link
MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual

Pretty sure that bolt was M6 when I pulled my cam bridge but yeah, measure and torque accordingly.

Torque spec for the N205 valve (reverse threaded piece) is 35Nm. Just FYI most torque wrenches won't click in reverse so don't try to torque the N205 valve without checking your torque wrench first. It's a very positive stop once the N205 valve bottoms out so just snug it up, you shouldn't have any issues torquing it by feel.

Edit: Where in VA are you?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Tony48
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnf8 View Post
Chantilly area, talked wife into letting me get another car since my other one in shop all time. I'm apparently not allowed to take this one to a shop based on said promises.... so getting down and dirty.
You're a bit far from me otherwise I'd offer to come lend a hand with the job. Might be able to make something work though. PM me when you figure out when you'll be doing the work. I've also got a set of timing tools you're welcome to borrow.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
You're a bit far from me otherwise I'd offer to come lend a hand with the job. Might be able to make something work though. PM me when you figure out when you'll be doing the work. I've also got a set of timing tools you're welcome to borrow.
thanks for offer Tony, will definitely shoot you a PM. Would love the extra help to alleviate brain injuries on my side. I plan on doing PCV, coils, plugs, brakes, trans fluid, coolant, fuel filter, etc. while I got it in maintenance mode. I got all the tools I need, short and long of everything, timing tools, etc. Ordering parts today and hope to start taking it apart throughout the week. Trying to finish small garage project with father in-law this weekend to give me more storage space and reclaim some lost work area. I remember when I could fit 2 cars in my garage....The good ol' days

On a side note, anyone know differences between these balance shaft chain part numbers? 06K109158BS vs 06K109158A? I'm asking because if I get 06K109158A I can save about $70 going with FEBI over AUDI brand, but can only get AUDI for 06K109158BS. I did find 06K109158BS FEBI, but it doesn't ship until July, so assuming waiting on another production run from FEBI and I don't want to wait that long. Trying to finish everything before in-laws leave middle of June so wife has help with kid
Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
FlavMK6
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MK6
I seized my engine. Downshifted to a lower gear and car wont start. I was planing on taking the engine apart but I have never done this. I found this and read on it. Gave me some courage to go for it. But not 100percent sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlavMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
godnf8
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavMK6 View Post
I seized my engine. Downshifted to a lower gear and car wont start. I was planing on taking the engine apart but I have never done this. I found this and read on it. Gave me some courage to go for it. But not 100percent sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might have bigger problems than just replacing timing chain and stuff. Could be broken valves and all sorts of issues if engine seized and won't start
Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
VWfanatic
Ready to race!

Drives: 2015 VW JETTA
Hey OP, you can find those OEM VW parts on https://www.vwpartsprime.com/ at cheaper than dealer prices. The parts come with the factory warranty as well. Hope this helps.
VWfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote