GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No one likes the GTI but us!

hpowders

Ready to race!
I find it interesting that European reviewers usually give VWs high marks for reliability saying things like "and because it is a VW, you know build quality will be rock solid". Seems to be a different perception here. Reviewers mention "reliability still has to be proven".

I wonder-does VW build "better" for Europe than for the US? What accounts for the discrepancy?

darknightohio1

Ready to race!
I find it interesting that European reviewers usually give VWs high marks for reliability saying things like "and because it is a VW, you know build quality will be rock solid". Seems to be a different perception here. Reviewers mention "reliability still has to be proven".

I wonder-does VW build "better" for Europe than for the US? What accounts for the discrepancy?

First off build location may attribute to the poor track record in the US. Also Europe has a very strong loyalty to where cars come from, rather than their true reliability.

Give the US a few more years, hatchbacks will be very popular in the US.

We have the Fiesta, 500, Polo, and IQ coming very soon.

hpowders

Ready to race!
First off build location may attribute to the poor track record in the US. Also Europe has a very strong loyalty to where cars come from, rather than their true reliability.

Give the US a few more years, hatchbacks will be very popular in the US.

We have the Fiesta, 500, Polo, and IQ coming very soon.

Hatchbacks are catching on in the US. Looks like BMW will be bringing over their 1 Series hatch. This was unthinkable a few years back.

path

Ready to race!

people grouse about VW reliability because some cars manufactured in mexico in the late 1990s had electrical problems

i have found the 3 VWs i have owned to be superbly engineered and reliable.

i had a 2002 jeep wrangler that left me stranded when it fried its computer the 2nd day i owned it. otherwise is has been rock solid, needing gas and oil only. by the standards of many posting here, that would make my jeep a crappy and unreliable car.

i dont understand some people

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
I had a 2005 545i leased for 3 years. I have to admit though, I'm a sucker for compact-sized, agile vehicles.
But it sure felt good at 145+ on a clear open stretch!

hpowders

Ready to race!

Well maybe so, but in a 2 car parking lot, at least I don't attempt to open the wrong car's driver's door. :p

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Coming from a Honda, this is how I now look at things:

With a Japanese car, you have a disengaged driving experience and so-so looks all the time compared to German cars, albeit with better reliability.

With a German car, you have a very distinctive/attractive looks and engaging driving experience all the time, with reliability problems SOME of the time.

I think I'm ready to take the intermittent reliability issues along with looks and drive-ability over another Japanese car right now

edgary

Ready to race!
Well maybe so, but in a 2 car parking lot, at least I don't attempt to open the wrong car's driver's door. :p

Smart man ;)

I'm reminded of a current Hyundai commercial, where a lot of drivers switch to someone else's car, except for a Hyundai driver... funny! I can't find it online, though.

hpowders

Ready to race!
Smart man ;)

I'm reminded of a current Hyundai commercial, where a lot of drivers switch to someone else's car, except for a Hyundai driver... funny! I can't find it online, though.

There were actually maybe 11 cars in the parking lot. My wife went over to a Toyota Camry and stood there waiting for me to unlock her passenger side door. My car is a BMW 328i. Oh well, at least she got the color right!:)

Meanwhile if I move a candy dish in the living room 0.5 cm to the left, she will notice it and question me about it within 24 hours. :iono:

Sure wish she was a car enthusiast. All a car means to her is "withdrawal money".:(

hpowders

Ready to race!
Well you should be able to hit 135 with the 328i, mine did :thumbup:

I've hit 100-110 a couple of times, but just for a few seconds, each time when passing on the highway.

It's a real shame that many of us can't put these cars through the kind of driving they are truly meant for.

This is me being totally frustrated:

:happyanim: