GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #57
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Another update... looks like COBB is gonna come through for me... Sucks I still lose ~$500 or so in fabrication work, but better than having to buy a new downpipe AND losing $500 in fabrication work.

Good on Cobb, glad that they made it right for you!
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #58
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Glad Cobb is sending you a replacement downpipe! Did xlr8 just repair the cracked downpipe?
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #59
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
Glad Cobb is sending you a replacement downpipe! Did xlr8 just repair the cracked downpipe?
Yeah I'll probably keep it as a spare or just try selling it. It works fine now since they welded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Good on Cobb, glad that they made it right for you!
I'm glad too. They're going to send me a non-resonated version this time which is cool. Wondering if I'll finally get DSG farts this time.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #60
DASVDUB
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Want loud farts? Catless. /discussion
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|custom straight pipe catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #61
Ronnie_B
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
...Car is at Excelerate now, will hopefully be done either tomorrow or Friday. Apparently I had a broken manifold stud that was causing a small exhaust leak (that had been leaking for awhile)...might explain a few things lol.
Missed that for some reason. Broken stud from the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold? Or from the turbo to the downpipe? The only reason I ask is because I experienced a broken stud from the head to the manifold, which was causing an exhaust leak and screeching sound.

APR Stage 2 v2.4 93 tune, APR Cast Downpipe, Unitronic IC, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, DG springs, Koni Yellows, SuperPro ALK / RCA ball joints/ end links, H&R 26mm/24mm swaybars, ECS Subframe collar kit, G-LOC GS-1 / R12 Pads, Stoptech Rotors, TS Brake bushing kit and hatch brace, Castrol SRF fluid, Yokohama AD08R on Motegi MR133 17x8.5 (Track) Build Thread
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #62
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
Missed that for some reason. Broken stud from the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold? Or from the turbo to the downpipe? The only reason I ask is because I experienced a broken stud from the head to the manifold, which was causing an exhaust leak and screeching sound.

Manifold to cylinder head. Mine was leaking past the exhaust gasket but wasn't making a screeching noise. They replaced all the studs on the cylinder head with new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
Want loud farts? Catless. /discussion
Lol very true.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #63
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Drove the car back home from Excelerate. Definitely bucks below 30mph but it seems like once I get up and moving it runs okay. I sent more data logs to Alex today, hopefully will hear back soon.

In the meantime, I installed my ECS catch can. The bracket doesn't quite fit right, and the return hose was a little short. Was kind of disappointed, but hopefully it does the job.

Unfortunately with my new oil pan my ECS skid plate no longer fits. I'll have to modify it or have a new one built.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #64
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Mine had that exact same stud broke from head to manifold when removing factory turbo. Had to get a shop extract and put in new stud
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | APR DP | Magnaflow | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 Mounts | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 | VERUS |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #65
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
How much ground clearance did you lose with that oil pan that the skid plate doesn't fit?

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
improvise. adapt. overcome
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #66
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
How much ground clearance did you lose with that oil pan that the skid plate doesn't fit?
It's only about 5mm lower than the stock pan. I found that odd as well.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #67
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Going to swap out the grams TB and see if that fixes my issue. Looking at the datalogs Alex and I agree it's the culprit. More to follow.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #68
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
People seem to keep having issues with the Gramms throttle body, thats too bad.

That oil pan looks amazing! I think i'll replace my OEM one with that oil pan when I can't stand the rust on mine anymore.

Good thing you've got the front and rear deadset collar kits. The only issue I have from autox is the rear subframe clunking/shifting on me now. I've got the front collar kit and that held up fine but my rear... not so much with the oem bolts. I put an order in for the rear collar kit. They really seem to work wonders.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #69
zef
FIA GT Newbie

IT's FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I snuck out of work this morning after a meeting to swap out the throttle body and now the car runs 100%. I will be contacting grams on why tf this thing wasn't working right.

I'll be sending updated logs tonight back to Alex and hopefully get this bitch dialed in!! If this car is this fast on the 93 base map I can only imagine what it's going to be on E30.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #70
zef
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
People seem to keep having issues with the Gramms throttle body, thats too bad.

That oil pan looks amazing! I think i'll replace my OEM one with that oil pan when I can't stand the rust on mine anymore.

Good thing you've got the front and rear deadset collar kits. The only issue I have from autox is the rear subframe clunking/shifting on me now. I've got the front collar kit and that held up fine but my rear... not so much with the oem bolts. I put an order in for the rear collar kit. They really seem to work wonders.
I gotta go to speedsport for an alignment... something doesn't quite feel right with the front. It's like kinda floaty. Not what I was expecting having the summers back on.

And interesting about the rear subframe. Can't wait to really toss this car around and see how the 034 parts stiffened up the rear.

The 034 trailing arms despite being spherical bushings really didn't add any NVH. With all the bullshit that's been going on with the engine stuff I actually totally forgot about them lol