GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

billet rear main seal???

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to make a new thread every time a question crosses your brain. Stop and do some research first please. Ask some informed/specific questions and you will receive better responses.

I am running the iAbed billet RMS. I wrote up install notes with a link to the service manual, torque specs, tips, pictures, etc. The link is in my signature. Should you have any questions that aren't covered there I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my abilities.

zrickety

The Fixer
I just installed one on a friend's car. It's a huge improvement over stock, will probably outlast the car. If you hold a stock one in your hand, you'll see how flimsy and ridiculous they are. The one we pulled out literally fell apart.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
They did revise the OEM one, I think the seal lies the opposite direction now but but yeah I think ill def be getting the iAbed one. My RMS just took a shit. Now to only get the DSG off with jackstands in the garage....

zrickety

The Fixer
They did revise the OEM one, I think the seal lies the opposite direction now but but yeah I think ill def be getting the iAbed one. My RMS just took a shit. Now to only get the DSG off with jackstands in the garage....
You can do it. I'd recommend the trans jack from Harbor Freight, it really makes the job manageable.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You can do it. I'd recommend the trans jack from Harbor Freight, it really makes the job manageable.

So ive heard. Def gonna pick it up along with the harbor freight engine support. I only have the harbor freight 1.5 ton jack though so hopefully I can manage to get the car high enough in the air.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
They did revise the OEM one, I think the seal lies the opposite direction now but but yeah I think ill def be getting the iAbed one.
Correct, the newest revision RMS has the lip of the seal flipped the opposite (correct) direction. This means that if the crankcase is accidentally pressurized, say from a PCV that shit the bed, the pressure will force the seal against the crankshaft rather than blowing the seal out.

That being said, if you have to go through all the labor to get to the RMS it's probably worth the $50 upcharge from OEM to get the iAbed billet seal which is much more robust.

The only downside is that it's buried in the car so no one else will ever see this beauty :thumbsup:

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Any idea when the revision went into effect? I don't suppose we're lucky enough to narrow down a build date...