GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R20 5door vs A3 2.0T Quattro?

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
I'm throwing this out for anybody who has had the chance to drive both of these cars: What are the differences? You know, besides cosmetics, how do these two cars compare?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
I would think that the GOLF R (R 20) would be much more closely related/compared to the S3.

jaygti1

Ready to race!
Here in Canada we called the 2007 A3 w/ 3.2 the A3 S-Line. When I went to look this time around I was sad to see the 3.2 was gone entirely. If it was still available, hands down I would have picked that car. *swoon*

However, I still picked the GTI over the A3 this time around, exactly the same interior, cleaner styling, and it's a cult classic :)

Cloudlink041

Ready to race!
They don't compare. You can compare the GTI with the A3 but not the Golf R.

bbg2d

BMW Cowboy
I thought they might be comparable, having AWD, the 2.0 turbo engine, and the same transmission...

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
I thought they might be comparable, having AWD, the 2.0 turbo engine, and the same transmission...
I believe the internals of the Golf R are seriously beefed up for the increased horse power from what has been released.
Seems as though there is a "night and day" difference regarding performance between the two. The Golf R being way more upscale.

A3 = 200HP
Golf R = 270HP

Cough, cough... no comparison.

And... I'm sure that the DSG that would be offered in the Golf R would bit a lot more beefed up internally than the standard DSG in the standard 2.0t... same with the Manual (clutch & pressure plate would be beefed up to handle the additional HP & torque)! Bet yah!!!

Last edited:

StaticFrost

yeah you would have to comepar the S3 to the R. I would pick the R because it has a newer shape and the stats are the same an over here is should end up cheaper.