GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone tell me about catch cans?

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
TSI are a lot cleaner than FSI's. I will not be adding a catch can to my car as I plan to sell it at around 60k. I guess if you want to keep it for more than 100k miles you should? Even Arin said the other day that they are not necessary on these vehicles and even with a catch can you will still have some carbon build up.

I can almost guarantee you if APR made a catch can his response would be different.;)

I've seen my proof on my personal car. Granted it's an FSI but you will still catch oil in your TSI. There's no question. I haven't seen any concrete data showing that blow-by is less or more on either engine either.

A catch can will not catch 100% of the oil going from the crankcase back into the intake tract. The whole point is to substantially reduce the amount of oil that travels this route (crankcase > intake tract > engine). The less oil gunk build up you have on your intake valves, the better the car will run. Each combustion process will therefore be more efficient and the air-fuel mixture will be more pure. Adding oil into that mix will reduce the efficiency of combustion leading to less power and lower MPG. It's not like you will see a drop of 20HP but it'll be there.

The catch can will be better for your car over a long period or time but it also benefits it in the short term as well. The car will be better and cleaner combustion as well as better timing (drastically less pull and +4 degrees with the can installed).

Here's an article we wrote earlier this year: https://www.redline-motorworks.com/kb_results.asp?ID=8

It's a good read and and should answer most questions regarding catch cans.

Last edited:

heartcoke

Ready to race!
edited: never mind this post.

Last edited:

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Redline, what would be the best catch can to get? I want one that doesn't look all gross in the engine bay. Baffle is the way to go, right? Can you provide any pics of what it looks like in the engine bay?

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Redline, what would be the best catch can to get? I want one that doesn't look all gross in the engine bay. Baffle is the way to go, right? Can you provide any pics of what it looks like in the engine bay?

I would recommend this one: http://www.redline-motorworks.com/B...CV_Competition_Catch_Can_p/bsh-tsi-recc-6.htm

It's a recirculating catch can with an internal baffle system, dip stick (to check oil level without removing the can) and large capacity.:thumbsup:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Is it necessary to remove the noise pipe to install the catch can?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I'm not convinced theres really any benefit or NEED for catch cans. The definition of Marketing is to create a Need that customers didn't know they had, and than fulfill the need with a product they can buy. Seems to me these catch cans could be just that.

Call me skeptic or whatever. As long as my car makes it to 100k miles before I sell it, then I don't care how much sludge is on the valves.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who has installed a catch can noticed that their exhaust tips get any less blackened?