GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
dave780

Drives: '13 GTI United Gray 2d 6MT Autobahn
Stock clutch with no tune replacement timeframe

I am torn on purchasing the Stage 1 tune because I am not looking forward to possibly deal with a slipping clutch on a 2013 GTI. My warranty is over Jan 2016.

The question I have is how many miles is it before the stock clutch with no tuning upgrades start to slip?

If it is more than 100K, I will probably get the tune after the warranty is out.

dave780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
simpson110
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 gti
Only 12k mile warranty on the clutch. Only way you can get it replaced is if it was a tob failure or pressure plate failure. My 2013 had the one piece tob so that probably won't fail and the pressure plate issue is not all that common. So I say go for it and get a rsr clutch and never look back.

Pm me for vagcom in southern ct(near new haven)
simpson110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
zipsled
Oval Champion

Drives: Crashed
My stock clutch started slipping about 24,000 miles after a Uni Stage 1+. You actually only have a 6000 mile warranty on the stock clutch, since it's consider a wear item.
I went with a SB Stage 2 Endurance. In hindsight, I wish I had installed a RSR.
Without a tune, there's no reason you shouldn't get at least 48K from the stock clutch.

zipsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsled View Post
My stock clutch started slipping about 24,000 miles after a Uni Stage 1+. You actually only have a 6000 mile warranty on the stock clutch, since it's consider a wear item.
I went with a SB Stage 2 Endurance. In hindsight, I wish I had installed a RSR.
Without a tune, there's no reason you shouldn't get at least 48K from the stock clutch.
Why the rsr as apposed to the stage 2 SB?
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Crap, with no tune and driving GOOD, I think a stock clutch should get you to 100k, why not?
With tune since 5k, I'm currently at 21k and no problems yet... If I do feel slippage, I'll let wife practice a bit driving manual because she knows how to, I just told her, not until this one slips so in case she does something, I don't blame it on her. Once it goes, I'm going with RSR and upping to Stage2. HURRAY!
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
TSI_Guy
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: C5 Z06
You should have no problem getting 70k+ out of your stock clutch if you drive properly. My stock clutch lasted up until about 68k miles and the only reason it slipped was because I went K04.

If I would have stayed stock, I'm sure my clutch would have lasted me much more than 70k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasauto0108 View Post
Personally, I love any meat in tube form.
Quote:
I love a good sausage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
It's not gay if it's a three-way
TSI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
Jlove8128
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: UG 4 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_Guy View Post
You should have no problem getting 70k+ out of your stock clutch if you drive properly. My stock clutch lasted up until about 68k miles and the only reason it slipped was because I went K04.

If I would have stayed stock, I'm sure my clutch would have lasted me much more than 70k.
It's just my opinion but I don't think this is true. There are many other factors that could cause the clutch to start slipping bedsides not "driving properly". Like mostly highway vs city driving. Issues with the stock clutch tend to start with 5th-6th gear slipping. This is what happened to me, and it only started after I started taking the highway to work (APR Stage 1). I drove the car hard for 35,000 before it started slipping, and as far as I am concerned I drove it "properly". I think some of it is luck of the draw also, some hold up better than others. Not trying to start an argument just my opinion.
APR KO4 v3.1/APR Mobile//APR Carbonio//Eurojet TBE// Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch//Koni Coils//VMR V810 Gunmetal//Audi Flat Fives//OEM Front Lip//OEM Euro R Tails//OEM GTD Grille//S3 Short Shifter//BFI Shit Knob//P3 Analog Boost Guage//LED Footwells/Interior/Plate Lights//Color Matched Side Markers//Hatch Pop Kit//R8 Coil Packs//Vag-Com Tweeked//Soundaktor Delete
Jlove8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
TSI_Guy
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlove8128 View Post
It's just my opinion but I don't think this is true. There are many other factors that could cause the clutch to start slipping bedsides not "driving properly". Like mostly highway vs city driving. Issues with the stock clutch tend to start with 5th-6th gear slipping. This is what happened to me, and it only started after I started taking the highway to work (APR Stage 1). I drove the car hard for 35,000 before it started slipping, and as far as I am concerned I drove it "properly". I think some of it is luck of the draw also, some hold up better than others. Not trying to start an argument just my opinion.
You're APR stage 1, he is asking about a stock tune car with a stock clutch.

It also depends on how much you use the clutch (city vs highway)

I hear ya though man, definitely a lot of different contributing factors. I do believe these clutches will last on a stock tune when driven properly.

Quote:
Quote:
I love a good sausage
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
Jlove8128
Rally Car Newbie

Haha, reading is fundamental I stand corrected and apologize. Please proceed while I punch myself in the face.
APR KO4 v3.1/APR Mobile//APR Carbonio//Eurojet TBE// Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch//Koni Coils//VMR V810 Gunmetal//Audi Flat Fives//OEM Front Lip//OEM Euro R Tails//OEM GTD Grille//S3 Short Shifter//BFI Shit Knob//P3 Analog Boost Guage//LED Footwells/Interior/Plate Lights//Color Matched Side Markers//Hatch Pop Kit//R8 Coil Packs//Vag-Com Tweeked//Soundaktor Delete
Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
TSI_Guy
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlove8128 View Post
Haha, reading is fundamental I stand corrected and apologize. Please proceed while I punch myself in the face.

Quote:
Quote:
I love a good sausage
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
And OP is gone
Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
Hasn't the subject been discussed ad nausea in multiples posts before?
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
Jlove8128
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Hasn't the subject been discussed ad nausea in multiples posts before?
Nope first time for sure. We should keep the thread going, I hope someone starts making clutch options for our cars soon.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #14
dave780

Drives: '13 GTI United Gray 2d 6MT Autobahn
Thanks for all the replys. I looked in other threads, but anything dealing with stock clutch replacement was on the basis of at least having a Stage 1 tune.

If the clutch isn't covered under warranty anymore, then it looks like I will be going for an APR Stage 1 with Carbonio intake.
dave780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, replacement, stock, timeframe