GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
I went to the Philly auto show yesterday and my mind was blown that they only had one MKVII there. It was a TDI. They had a bunch of MKVI's though. Anyway, here are some of my thoughts.

I like the new gas door design, how you push it and it pops open, but I don't like that the whole mechanism is made of plastic. Looks like it could be easy to break.
The hatch floor has two height settings. For what reason, i'm not sure. If you lower it, the floor comes down at an angle from the rear seat about 6 inches and then lays flat.
The TDI shown did not have a full size spare.
The hatch handle / VW emblem is placed on a sharp body line, so you see more chrome on the top edge of the handle than on the sides or bottom. It's kind of like a house where the garage comes out from the basement.
I really like the new center console and how it's canted toward the driver. HVAC knobs felt kind of cheap. Gloss black trim looks great, but will be a pain to keep clean.
Gear throws are super long on the TDI!
Doors feel as solid as ever opening and closing, inside handles don't creak like on my MKV.
Storage compartments are slightly larger than on the MKV.

I talked to the VW rep for a while. He told me that the base price for the new GTI will be 24.5k and the new TDI will be just over 25k. The performance package is coming, but he doesn't know how much it will cost. Also, the Golf R will be coming with the DSG first, followed by the manual a couple months later.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I went to the Philly auto show yesterday and my mind was blown that they only had one MKVII there. It was a TDI. They had a bunch of MKVI's though. Anyway, here are some of my thoughts.

I really like the new center console and how it's canted toward the driver.
(but have yet to see fake not even close carbon fiber design on gti)
HVAC knobs felt kind of cheap. Gloss black trim looks great, but will be a pain to keep clean.
Yep knobs and front facing dash felt cheaper (not cheap though)
Doors feel as solid as ever opening and closing, inside handles don't creak like on my MKV.
Thats cause its not as old as your car and brand new at the autoshow, door seals still good not weathered.
Storage compartments are slightly larger than on the MKV
True, could probably fit an orange and and iphone in there now.lol

See above bold^...did you get to see the sunroof at all? any photos?

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
No, in my excitement to finally sit in a MK VII I forgot to take any pictures. The car did have the panoramic sunroof, but for some reason I didn't even mess with it. It's pretty big, and the whole part of the roof that it sits in is black which doesn't do it for me. I'll take my R without one.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
The GTI felt very flimsy, not a big fan. And what is up with that little glass next to the side mirrors, reminds of a freaking Prius - EEEWWWW!

Agree with most if not all the points in OP. That fake plastic design is terrible, what the heck were they thinking. The handbrake in gloss plastic, WTF?!?!?? Doors felt light (maybe because of the use), paper thin compared to current generation, pure crap/

But... that blue R really stood out, the 19" wheels are tits! Here are a few pics of the phone.

edit:wtf, why not add the gti.

Jaber

Modero
What's with the small window by mirror? I hate that.... Is there any real function towards it? Cutting cost?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I recall hearing that the mirrors in general are moving to that "location" due to both co-efficient of drag AND it cuts down on windnoise, iirc.

McQueen77

Banned
The new R looks really, really good. If I got another Yaris, that'd be the one. 19's would be punishment around these parts though.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
That sunroof is rough. Looks like a Pontiac sunfire. I always thought that glass out of body look made it look like an afterthought.

Led tails and a color matched front valence will fool every non gti enthusiast into thinking your mk6 is a 7.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
goodjob taking photos, yeah that r was beautiful..odd though did they rope off the golf R for you? you could get into it when i went however there was a bunch of morons sitting in it...comments like "why is it an automatic though?"..my gf lol'd when i leaned in and said outloud to her "yep just like they said, dsg only for the first release models...well atleast its faster than manual right".. those guys sitting in it were like :iono: (an auto faster than a manual whaaaat?)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Cars look great.

Better than the MK6 all around.

The only people who don't like them are you guys who decided you didn't like them in the first place, and are now seeing them in person and saying - yeah, I don't like this, that or the other thing.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Cars look great.

Better than the MK6 all around.

The only people who don't like them are you guys who decided you didn't like them in the first place, and are now seeing them in person and saying - yeah, I don't like this, that or the other thing.

i actually loved it in the photos (minus the rims)...wasnt so impressed in person. In other words if i was in the position to buy a good deal on a new mk6 that was discounted because of the mk7 release..id take it. Granted performance parts/tunes havent been seen yet...imo thats just another downside waiting on the aftermarket to catch up.Additionally i have everyone on this forum for aftermarket support while not taking a huge over inflated depreciation hit on an mk7.

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
Only way I'd buy a MK7 is if we got a 4-door R. Which obviously we aren't. But those wheels are ugly as hell lol

Still like the Mk6 better.

Luckily for you, every R they're bringing to the U.S. will have 4 doors. Seems like a lot of people are mad about that, but I don't understand why. 4 doors is where it's at!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion

Definite wow factor.