GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PODI boost gauge issues

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
My PODI gauge has been acting up on me lately and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen to them and if they resolved it.

Lately I have been noticing that my gauge is reading high under no throttle and under small amounts of boost. For example while rolling with 0 throttle my gauge will show anywhere from 0 psi to -15 inHg instead of the -22 inHg it should show. This will happen for a while and then it will start working normally again. When this does happen it shows I am under boost under the slightest amount of throttle (obviously more so the closer to 0 psi the gauge is sitting at) when I know I am not. When the gauge reads 0 psi under no throttle, the slightest amount of throttle will raise it to 5 psi when I can clearly tell that the turbo isn't running that. The weird thing is that it still won't show more than 17-18 psi (which what I am supposed to be running). It just basically gets there a lot quicker then it should.

I am going to try and switch out the filter and grab some new boost hose and see if it helps but I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Last edited:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Have you experienced this anomaly in different temperatures?
Have you replaced the filter before?

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Never replaced the filter and it just started happening recently and the weather has been warm compared to last month.

I'm going to bet it's the filter but I thought I would ask anyways to see if someone had this issue pop up before.

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had issues with mine where the boost line running from the manifold would start to collapse on itself and read really low vacuum. I replaced it with silicone hose and the problem went away. IDK about your issue with reading too much boost. Make sure everything is in good condition.

It could be your sender.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I bet its the filter, I'm due for a new one as well although no crazy issues yet. Though occasionally I've had it freeze in the winter below zero, but I assume that's just condensation or the filter being moist. Either way.. where did you source a new filter?

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I've had issues with mine where the boost line running from the manifold would start to collapse on itself and read really low vacuum. I replaced it with silicone hose and the problem went away. IDK about your issue with reading too much boost. Make sure everything is in good condition.

It could be your sender.

I'm really hoping it's not the sender. I am going to do what you did and replace the filter and the hose and I'm hoping that fixes it. Any chance you know the size of the hose? I'm sure I can find out but why not ask :laugh:

I bet its the filter, I'm due for a new one as well although no crazy issues yet. Though occasionally I've had it freeze in the winter below zero, but I assume that's just condensation or the filter being moist. Either way.. where did you source a new filter?

http://www.podi.ca/Accessories.aspx

When it was super cold this winter mine was freezing up a bit but it would just cause the gauge to lag/move super slow. This is a bit different though because the gauge moves fine it's just reading weird.

k3v0

Ready to race!
my stock vacuum tube kept melting. i replaced with 4mm silicon hose from ebay and it's been great so far.

i also had issues where the sender went bad, i now run 2 oil filters and i haven't had any problems so far.

i ordered new filters from podi, they were only a couple bucks from what i remember.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
my stock vacuum tube kept melting. i replaced with 4mm silicon hose from ebay and it's been great so far.

i also had issues where the sender went bad, i now run 2 oil filters and i haven't had any problems so far.

i ordered new filters from podi, they were only a couple bucks from what i remember.

Was this something you just did or did podi recommend it?

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't remember what size hose I used, but 4mm sounds about right. I didn't change the filter since it wasn't that dirty but I can see that causing you problems if it's clogged and not letting air back through. I got my silicone hose through amazon.