GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is the mk6 so cheap?

Uberryan

Banned
i know ive been trying to sell me car to CarMax. so ive been doing the KBB pricing, a few months ago I was getting around 18.5 for my 2012 qti with 23K. now I am getting 17.2k :(

Well carmax is always going to shoot you the lowest offer. I would suggest trying to sell privately. That's the only way you're going to make any sort of fair money off of the transaction. You should be getting well over $21k.

poodey

Ready to race!
I bought a 2011 Certified Pre-Owned 2-door GTI base with 19k miles for $18,000 from a local dealership back in April of this year. Well, in just 5 months, I now have 40k miles, I am hoping it's still worth a good amount. Can't be as bad as my 2007 MINI Cooper S with 60k miles on it that a Hummer H2 slid into my rear quarter panel last year during a "snow storm" (2 inches) at 15mph and creased it. Maybe if he didn't take off the correct tires and throw some big chrome wheels and low profile summer tires on it, he wouldn't have slid into me. $2,800 to fix, signed off on the repair, went to trade it in, flat price of $5,000 because it has "frame damage" because the rear quarter panel is welded in, not bolted on, therefore like breaking the seal on your xbox when you took it apart to fix the red ring of death, once the factory seal around the rear hatch is tampered with, it's game over! Wish I tried to trade it in before I signed off on the repairs, yeah his insurance fixed the damage, but didn't cover the loss in value. Lesson learned, took off all my parts, traded it in for $5,000 and sold all the parts for another $4,700 and still owed another $1,000 just to get out from under it. Funny thing is that they were going to give me $5k with or without the parts, NEVER trade in your car with aftermarket parts and NEVER sell off your stock parts, as everyone knows, you don't modify a car for resale, you do it for you, keep your stock parts and swap them back. I see so many people selling off their stock taillights, headlights, seats, ect, not too bright! Sorry, got off topic.

mmaluso

Passed Driver's Ed
Just listed my car for sale and I feel like KBB and Edmunds values are WAY lower than when i last checked and what I've expected. I've got a 2010 4dr DSG w/ 42k miles that I really hope I don't have to let go for 14ish. I got dealer offers for 12k but I'm hoping for a little more from Carmax since I've had good luck with them in the past. Probably not the best time to sell in Colorado either.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
14-15k is the going rate for your car.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I got $15,500 on trade for my car but got over $2k off my new Mk7 which eased the pain.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I was offered $18k for my 2013 Driver's Edition around the 13,000 mile mark a couple of months back. That's one of many reasons that I'll NEVER own another VW!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I bought this car because i really liked it, RNS 510, i did upgrade the Bluetooth, to a 9w7, car is immaculate, i really see no reason to sell it or trade it. Power, and handling and for me great reliability. My dealer gives free state inspections, oil changes, and warranties the engine for life. I'll probably be in the minority, but i always planned on keeping it and pass it on to some deserving family member, grand daughter most likely. Or maybe she'll get the turbo beetle, (same dealer, same deal) lol.

aregister

Ready to race!
I bought a 2011 Certified Pre-Owned 2-door GTI base with 19k miles for $18,000 from a local dealership back in April of this year. Well, in just 5 months, I now have 40k miles, I am hoping it's still worth a good amount. Can't be as bad as my 2007 MINI Cooper S with 60k miles on it that a Hummer H2 slid into my rear quarter panel last year during a "snow storm" (2 inches) at 15mph and creased it. Maybe if he didn't take off the correct tires and throw some big chrome wheels and low profile summer tires on it, he wouldn't have slid into me. $2,800 to fix, signed off on the repair, went to trade it in, flat price of $5,000 because it has "frame damage" because the rear quarter panel is welded in, not bolted on, therefore like breaking the seal on your xbox when you took it apart to fix the red ring of death, once the factory seal around the rear hatch is tampered with, it's game over! Wish I tried to trade it in before I signed off on the repairs, yeah his insurance fixed the damage, but didn't cover the loss in value. Lesson learned, took off all my parts, traded it in for $5,000 and sold all the parts for another $4,700 and still owed another $1,000 just to get out from under it. Funny thing is that they were going to give me $5k with or without the parts, NEVER trade in your car with aftermarket parts and NEVER sell off your stock parts, as everyone knows, you don't modify a car for resale, you do it for you, keep your stock parts and swap them back. I see so many people selling off their stock taillights, headlights, seats, ect, not too bright! Sorry, got off topic.
I feel you on the stock parts thing, but after two years sitting in my garage and all the mods I've done, it would almost be easier to just private sell with mods, or buy stock parts off a forum if i wanna go back.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Makes me wonder how the MK6 TDI's are faring

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
if you want resale get a toyota. especially a tacoma.

Toyota resale is hit or miss. They sell a lot of their cars to fleet services, so they over saturate the used market driving prices down.

Subaru seems to have the best resale across their line, especially the WRX and STI. I put 35k miles on a 2010 STI, traded it in for the GTI for 2,500 less than what I paid for it new.

All german brands struggle with resale due to perceived reliability issues and high maintenance costs.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
I brought my 2012 Base model 4D GTI with 47k miles to carmax the other day, they offered me 15k. Pretty decent, just a grand less than what KBB recomends for a private sale.

hcappie

Passed Driver's Ed
Traded in my '13 4door Autobahn 6sp manual for $23k. Only had 13,500 miles on it