GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacksonville, FL area... White Golf R traded in?

zrickety

The Fixer
Hi guys, looking at a 2 door R in White for sale up here in Macon. Carfax shows is was in Florida recently. APR tuned with unibrace XB. Anyone on here? Can you tell me about the car?

turbog8r

Hey guys,

I just test drove that car. They had told me it only had an intake, cat-back exhaust, and suspension work...which I was alright with since it shouldn't void the warranty. I get there and it turns out to be stage 2 plus with a stage 2 clutch, single mass flywheel, and engine mounts. The work was supposedly done by the jacksonville dealership which is also an APR shop so they may honor the warranty but no guarantees depending on what breaks.

The price is great and it seems to be properly modded. How do these EA111 engines hold up to long term stage 2+?

Thanks!

turbog8r

zrickety

The Fixer
That clutch scared me away. Did you buy the car?

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't worry. Known plenty of people with built Rs with no issues. I wouldn't worry about the warranty being voided. Good friend of mine just had his head rebuilt under warranty and his GLI is K04'd

turbog8r

I didnt buy it...yet. The clutch had some serious groaning while engine braking with the RPMs above 2500ish. The single mass flywheel chatter at idle didn't bother me, but will a single mass flywheel groan like that? I wasn't a fan of the engine mounts either...I could feel the engine more than I could hear it.

I'm sure some dealers are more mod friendly than others and I think my local dealer is one of those friendlier ones, but if the gearbox, haldex, or rear diff have issues...I doubt they will cover that.

zrickety

The Fixer
It has a ton of nice parts, just that bad clutch vibration at speed. Didn't feel as fast as I thought it would either.

turbog8r

Do you think the lack of power is the exhaust valve float?

Have you driven another golf with a similar single mass flywheel and "stage 2" clutch?

Last edited:

turbog8r

by bad clutch vibration at speed, you mean on engine braking? I don't recall it having a vibration while holding speed.

Jmoore412

Ready to race!
That car has a ton of money in parts/ labor put into it and have a brand new Spec stage 2+ clutch in it. All work was done by Garrett at O'Steen and was done right. I have a few of cars and didn't want that one anymore I maybe put 2k miles on it since having all the work done. It has 034 street mounts on the motor plus has the 034 dog bone mount. Only reason I sold it is I didn't like the 2 door as much as the 4 door R's that I have plus have a fully built stage 3 GTI. Ended up getting a Jeep to use for a demo car for my company as we do a lot of boats and it is easy to mount tower speakers in the back for demo of a new LED module we have coming out. I also have a fully stock 2013 Golf R CSG fully loaded (nav/ sunroof) with 17k miles on it in mint condition if you are looking for something that is a CPO car.

There is a LOT more done to the car then is being listed:

APR Stage+ Tune
APR TBE
APR intercooler
APR HPFP
APR runner flap delete
APR boost gauge
APR shifter cable braket
034 motor/ trans/ dog bone mount
VWR springs
VWR sway bars
VWR intake
Unibrace UB, XB
Bilstein shocks
Spec stage 2+ clutch
VWR short shifter
Superpro LCA w/ ALK
Superpro center adjusting ball joint
Stoptech pads and rotors
PTP firewall, turbo, hood blanket
Brand new conti tires (had under 2k miles when I sold it)

Last edited:

khangoc

Ready to race!
^^ seems like high quality parts and thought-out mods. Not just mods for the sake of mods.

Jmoore412

Ready to race!
^^ seems like high quality parts and thought-out mods. Not just mods for the sake of mods.

I don't like pointless mods every car I own is well thought out and done properly for the application. Aside from my GTI which I went a little overboard on!

Unreliable seller

I don't like pointless mods every car I own is well thought out and done properly for the application. Aside from my GTI which I went a little overboard on!

Which you were supposed to part out and me buying at your conditions and price... Let me waste over 2 month, over 30 emails and 2 PayPal refunds without any explanation whatsoever... Over $6000 which was more than fair, you always have no time to reply because of your busy business or have no access to internet connection to reply messages but it seems fine to be active on other threads.

Last edited:

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I just test drove that car. They had told me it only had an intake, cat-back exhaust, and suspension work...which I was alright with since it shouldn't void the warranty. I get there and it turns out to be stage 2 plus with a stage 2 clutch, single mass flywheel, and engine mounts. The work was supposedly done by the jacksonville dealership which is also an APR shop so they may honor the warranty but no guarantees depending on what breaks.

The price is great and it seems to be properly modded. How do these EA111 engines hold up to long term stage 2+?

Thanks!

turbog8r

Well I have almost the exact same mod list with the exception of having different brakes, stage 3 endurance southbend clutch, and no UB, but I have been APR stage 2+ for 90K miles and currently have 93K on my R and no issues at all. I also have 034 track density mounts which are even stiffer and I'll tell you what made a whole world of difference was I just recently added a Fluidampr crank pulley.. It got rid of so much of the extra vibrations from the engine that I can barely tell I changed the mounts now except for the excellent drive ability and engine response.

Point is the mod list is legit and if well maintained the car sounds like it's a great find, just change the damn cam follower people!

Jmoore412

Ready to race!
Which you were supposed to part out and me buying at your conditions and price... Let me waste over 2 month, over 30 emails and 2 PayPal refunds without any explanation whatsoever... Over $6000 which was more than fair, you always have no time to reply because of your busy business or have no access to internet connection to reply messages but it seems fine to be active on other threads.

Wrong car this is one of my Golf R's you where wanting to buy the stuff off my stage 3 GTI. Which I pulled out of the first time because what you offered and the cost to get the items removed didn't make sense would have lost money going back to stock. Second time you paid more and I got things removed but you want a declared value way lower than what you paid since it was going overseas. When I went to ship I was told if I put a declared value less than what it's worth and something happened to the packages that is all I would get back. Considering it was over $8k in parts it didn't seem smart to take the risk. I have packages shipped for AL to me in GA and they get trashed! Going from here to Japan I could only imagine how banged up stuff would get. Wasn't worth the risk after talking with the shipping company.

Last edited: