GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mark VI R vs. WRX STI

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Care to inform us on the little parts that fail due to manufacturer defect?

My car has had the passenger seat belt buckle rattle, subframe clicking, electromagnetic steering issues (whole rack had to be replaced), coolant sensor fail (my fans would run full blast when the car was turned off), N80 sensor, gas cap (was related to the N80 sensor), I just noticed there is a crack in the guibo, and there's a weird metallic rattle coming from the passenger floor board that was there for 2 years and never asked the dealer. I've always wanted an S4 but this car has me a little scared lol.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
My car has had the passenger seat belt buckle rattle, subframe clicking, electromagnetic steering issues (whole rack had to be replaced), coolant sensor fail (my fans would run full blast when the car was turned off), N80 sensor, gas cap (was related to the N80 sensor), I just noticed there is a crack in the guibo, and there's a weird metallic rattle coming from the passenger floor board that was there for 2 years and never asked the dealer. I've always wanted an S4 but this car has me a little scared lol.

Sounds like you had a lemon more than anything

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I Like the STI but would never buy one. At least in its current state. WWAAYY too many problems. I have seen guys in town with bone stock STI's on their second engine already.

EJ25 can be stout if built, but most cant afford that. They suck on gas, but hey its an STI so oh well, Tendancy to drink oil, blow head gaskets, cost a ton to upgrade, a bitch to tune.

I would pass. Either wait for the new STI, but in day to day purposes?

Look, I have been in the STI/Evo Community since 2003. Have owned 4 Evo's and have met MANY people with STI's. Love them, and cars in general.

Here are the facts. Golf R with DSG $38k add a DSG tuen and ECU Tune and you have a car that costs about $40-42K that can Run in the 11's in the 1/4 Mile and still get 30 mpg's on the highway.

YOU WILL NEVER GET THIS IN AN STI for anywhere NEAR that kind of Money.

If you keep the STI stock and have no plans to do anything to it, go for it. If you have plans?? Save for the R and get the DSG and Spank almost Every STI you come up against.

Just my ten cents....:wosschilder980:

Jeff

changchewsoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to chip in my thoughts.

I've been driving the MK6 R since 2013, and recently just gotten myself a MK7 R and the AMG A45, I've never own the STI before but I've driven it for 3 months when my younger brother had to travel overseas so I was taking care of the car for him.

Between the MK6 R and the MK7 R, if both in stock forms the MK7 R is a clear winner. Of course, if you decide to go down the path of ECU tuning then I would say they're both nice to drive, but my preferences is towards the MK6 R because the MK7R uses the e-handbrake.

Plus when I purchased the MK6 R I opted in for the tech pack which comes with the Recaro seats, whereby the MK7 R doesn't have the option even if you have the cash for it and you'll need to purchase it from the aftermarket.

As for the STI, I think even the MK6 R will beat it hands down. Just to clarify, the STI I drove was a stick whereby the rest of my cars are all DSG transmission so again, I might be a little biased.

Throughout the years of owning the MK6 R, I've never had one single warranty defect claims. To be fair, the car remained completely stock until late 2015 where I went straight to Stage 2+ in one go. So perhaps after modding it will accelerate the wear and tear but again no surprises here especially if one decides to go down the modding route.

As for the MK7R, I totally like the new interior, the color MFD, the handling etc. It feels like a much more improved MK6 R. Again, the car will remain stock for now until a a day I decide to flash it, as I alternate between the Golf MK6 R and the AMG A45 more. It's a shame they decided not to retain the old school handbrake and also the option to purchase the Recaro seats. This car would have been a total banger.

Having said so, yes the reality is that the TSI engine is a much more advanced engine compared to the old TFSI on the MK6R. That alone should give you strong reasons to consider it.

plumpzz

Ready to race!
Having owned and cross shopped all of the cars you're concidering, unless you track your car competitively, the VW is just as fast without sacrificing comfort or gas mileage. You'd be lucky to get 25mpg with a tuned stage 2 sti or evo, have decent insurance rates or not have back pain after a two hour drive.

They both get equal quarter mile times with your average driver, and a dsg would blow all of the other competitors away. It seems like an easy choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk