GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning oil...quart a week

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
My p0299 has been on for weeks and I'm hoping it's my turbo that's burning the oil. It smokes at idle and when coming off boost. New turbo on the way, just hope it fixes issue of burning oil. I have just associated the 2 together and chalked it up to turbo. Wouldn't I have another code if it was burning oil in cylinders? Dont know what else would burn it..
Thx in advance
Stage 2
Would like to add, I pulled an IC hose and there was a nice layer of oil inside..

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Just did a compression test on all cylinders, car is a bit warm got 130-140 psi on all cylinders. Not sure what it should be but none are far off from the others..
This would tell be if I had a bad valve seat as well, but what about a bad valve guide? I'm assuming there would be a noticeable discrepancy in numbers..

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Could possibly be either or. Before I went k04 my k03 used to eat a little oil as well but not that much. Hopefully it’s the turbo. Good luck!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
so a compression test will tell for bad valve seals?? im having your same exact issue.... and im stumped

If a valve isn't sealing then a compression test would reveal it, would also reveal bad rings and head gasket leak(as well as water vapor pouring out of the exhaust)

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Could possibly be either or. Before I went k04 my k03 used to eat a little oil as well but not that much. Hopefully it’s the turbo. Good luck!

Yes, my k04 will be here tomorrow! I have 140k miles on the stock turbo so yea....

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I am also burning a shitload of oil at 144K miles. I believe it is valve stem seals as the car smokes after idling for 5-10 minutes after a cold start. While driving, it will only let out a puff of smoke if I coast in gear under vacuum for awhile and then punch it.

My K04 only has about 15-20K miles on it so I doubt it's the turbo seals. My compression was good when I did a warm test and very low leakage when I did a leakdown test. I had my intake manifold off less than 1,000 miles after carbon cleaning and the valves were covered again with wet carbon/oil. It looked like it was coming down the intake valve stems. I'm going to replace the stem seals when I replace my timing chains/guides/tensioners in the next few months. Hoping that fixes my consumption. If not, I will either rebuild or swap in another TSI engine and keep on driving.

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I am also burning a shitload of oil at 144K miles. I believe it is valve stem seals as the car smokes after idling for 5-10 minutes after a cold start. While driving, it will only let out a puff of smoke if I coast in gear under vacuum for awhile and then punch it.

My K04 only has about 15-20K miles on it so I doubt it's the turbo seals. My compression was good when I did a warm test and very low leakage when I did a leakdown test. I had my intake manifold off less than 1,000 miles after carbon cleaning and the valves were covered again with wet carbon/oil. It looked like it was coming down the intake valve stems. I'm going to replace the stem seals when I replace my timing chains/guides/tensioners in the next few months. Hoping that fixes my consumption. If not, I will either rebuild or swap in another TSI engine and keep on driving.

I hope it's not the valve seals but its definitely a possibility. I would do a swap before I pull the head off and rebuild it. I think I can get a 40k engine for 2 grand, would be a better investment then doing a head job (lol)

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I hope it's not the valve seals but its definitely a possibility. I would do a swap before I pull the head off and rebuild it. I think I can get a 40k engine for 2 grand, would be a better investment then doing a head job (lol)

I'm hoping to change the seals with the head on. Since I'm replacing the timing chains, it should be too bad to pull the cam cradle ("valve cover") off, remove the cams, and change the seals, but we'll see........

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well, I had to take the turbo out through the top. PITA