GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When replacing the PCV...

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
...do you generally replace either the front or rear breather hoses too?

If they look visually fine (i.e. no visible cracks), do people just swap out the PCV only?

Maybe I should've posted this in the stupid questions thread. Ah, F it.

Last edited:

pdan

Ready to race!
Not sure what others have done, but when I eventually getting around to replacing it I’m just gonna get a whole kit and replace everything. Not the cheapest method obviously, but it’s some peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
You'll probably get a lot of different answers. I replaced the breather hoses each time I replaced the pcv. Eventually just got a catch can because I got sick of the pcv's constantly crapping out.
Did you use an Africa plate or just fully route the PCV to the can (like the ECS kit does)?

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
You'll probably get a lot of different answers. I replaced the breather hoses each time I replaced the pcv. Eventually just got a catch can because I got sick of the pcv's constantly crapping out.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

This is my first PCV to shit the bed. I checked both hoses pretty thoroughly (even slid back the foam padding to check for cracks or splits) and found nothing. That's why I figured I'd throw it out there to see what others have done/experienced. Assuming in the end it's really a piece of mind thing.

Plan for now is to just swap out the PCV itself and go from there. Save $100 or so by reusing the hoses.

Probably should've mentioned that this first started yesterday on the way to work when my RPMs began to uprev and bounce at idle. Then, when I got out, I noticed a very mild whistle coming from under the hood. From what I've read, those tend to be tell tale signs of the PCV biting the dust.

What happens if I swap it out and there's a microfracture in one of the tubes I missed or can't see? Would the symptoms persist?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Did you use an Africa plate or just fully route the PCV to the can (like the ECS kit does)?
I have an IE can that uses an "africa plate"

What happens if I swap it out and there's a microfracture in one of the tubes I missed or can't see? Would the symptoms persist?

Yes they would. RPM's jumping as youre describing is often a post MAF boost leak. If unregulated air is getting in it would cause exactly that. Before you start throwing parts at it, might be worthwhile to do a smoke test on it.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!

What he said! I’ve bought virtually every pcv revision and they all blew within a year. It lasted even less after going k04. Now I run a catch can through the winter....hoses and can are “winterized”.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I’m done wasting money on pcv’s.