GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR vs DG springs?

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
VW Racing.co.uk (VWR) Spring Specs:

VWRacing.co.uk sport spring spec as quoted directly from VWRacing.co.uk. Specs for springs are similar:

The front spec is:

• Lowering range 20-25mm
  • Spring rate 31N/mm
  • Wire diameter is 13.25 mm
  • Coils 6
  • I will have to find out what % uprated they are
  • It is a linear rate, however the spring is a barrel type spring so they end forms come slightly in.
  • These will fit direct on to the standard dampers and don’t require anything else.

The rear spec is:

• Lowering range 20mm
  • Spring rate 33N/mm
  • Wire diameter 12.5mm
  • Coils 8.5
  • I will have to find out what % uprated they are
  • It is a linear rate, however the spring is a barrel type spring so they end forms come slightly in.
  • These will fit direct on to the standard dampers and don’t require anything else

Cheers.
WJ

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Thank you kindly WJ and Bruce! (I was hopeful you would chime in on the thread!)

So, I take it they are very similar and the VWR brings the back end down a bit or so (not raked).
It's just kind of weird that DG has so many different PN#'s and only 2 for the VWR!

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Rear Spring Length: 308mm -v- 313mm

The difference in untensioned spring length for the rear of the VW Driver Gear Sport springs 2 door (308mm) -v- 4 door (313mm) may almost cover the difference in height between the rear of the VW Driver Gear Sport and rear of VWR springs (reverse rake), based on very few pics supplied. The OE Golf springs are designed to sag up to 20mm over an extended period of time ... so going up to 20mm lower with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) would be permissible. Additionally ... the OE Golf GTI springs are most probably designed to perform optimally with about 200kg on board where that lower speed compression fidgeting, busy, uneasy and restless OE Spring ride settles down a bit. For a single passenger only (80kg), the DG Sport springs may be closer to what Volkswagen ideally tuned the Golf GTI for in terms of ride/comfort compliance. The description of VWR as suggested to me are the same as the DG Sport springs ... both made by Eibach, both linear & both barrel inwards for top & bottom dead end coils.
Cheers.
WJ

Attachments

• Volkswagen DG Sport Springs TUV 003.JPG
    Volkswagen DG Sport Springs TUV 003.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 481

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
I guess my final question to the experts here is,
The VWR claim 20-25mm drop and they are UK springs.
As I understand it (could be wrong) the Euro and UK stock GTI springs are shorter than the GTI springs in the US due to bumper height regulations.
I see lots of springs advertized with ** drop but when installed they are actually lower.
I'd like the 20mm drop but not sure if I can accept anything more than 25mm after they settled.
Can anyone confirm the actual drop on a US spec vehicle?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I guess my final question to the experts here is,
The VWR claim 20-25mm drop and they are UK springs.
As I understand it (could be wrong) the Euro and UK stock GTI springs are shorter than the GTI springs in the US due to bumper height regulations.
I see lots of springs advertized with ** drop but when installed they are actually lower.
I'd like the 20mm drop but not sure if I can accept anything more than 25mm after they settled.
Can anyone confirm the actual drop on a US spec vehicle?

I can confirm they will not be too much of a drop. It's a pretty light drop and will not be so low that the car bounces all over the road and goes beyond what the factory dampers were designed to handel.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
I can confirm they will not be too much of a drop.

Thanks, but I'd like an actual number for U.S. vehicles.
Is "not be to much" 1" or 1.5" or 2"?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Talked to Evan Wednesday about these. Hit him up if you have any questions.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Did you learn anything you can share with us? :iono:

Meh....no more than what most have delivered in this thread. From my understanding there are a multitude of springs to choose from both linear and progressive.

274.99 + Shipping