GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to the GTI world, please help with suggestions for must do upgrades.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
First off, I'm sorry for posting this but the answers in the previous forums are almost a bit overwhelming.

I'm new to the GTI family but not knew to modifying and working on cars and I would like to put together a list of items needing to be upgraded on these cars.

I am aware of the basic faulty issues and those have been or will be addressed (timing chain tensioner, intake manifold, coils, water pump).

The list I'm sepecifically after would be subframe and suspension upgrades. I have some rattles and creaks at low speeds leading to me thinking a subframe reinforcement kit is in order. Also, what are these dogbone mounts people talk about? I have Koni coilovers which address my suspension so guess mainly looking for subframe reinforcement kits, what kit people usually go with and whatever other issues I can fix or upgrade that are known weak points.

The car runs and drives fine, power is fine for now, just want to address the squeaks and the known faulty areas asap prior to going stage 2.

Thank you!

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Sorry for making the new thread, I did the research and found my answers... just to update though, will be going with all CTS parts as they're a 5 min drive from my house and I've known Clay forever.

Anyways, my shopping list is as follows... let's me know if I'm missing anything!

Subframe reinforcement kit with the ARP studs (CTS-HW-036)
Billet Torque Arm Insert (CTS-HE-0246)
CTS torque arm insert (different looking than the billet one CTS-MM-TAI-2)
Rear subframe insert kit (CTS-HW-216)

Also thinking about this rear subframe brace... anyone use it before?

http://shop.achtuning.com/stern-st-8p-sbr01-rear-subframe-brace-vw-mk6-fwd.aspx

Thanks again in advance.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The subframe kits are a great start

The torque arm insert though has NOTHING to do with the noises (unless your bushings are worn out/busted). If anything, they'll create more noises/issues (NVH) since you're tightening up the "slop" in the drivetrain--which prevents the NVH.
They're great mods, especially on a manual, don't get me wrong....but there is a small downside to stiffening the drivetrain mounts (NVH can travel to the cabin)

There's NO downside to the subframe collar kits though :thumbsup:

BlueE30

Ready to race!
The subframe kits are a great start

The torque arm insert though has NOTHING to do with the noises (unless your bushings are worn out/busted). If anything, they'll create more noises/issues (NVH) since you're tightening up the "slop" in the drivetrain--which prevents the NVH.
They're great mods, especially on a manual, don't get me wrong....but there is a small downside to stiffening the drivetrain mounts (NVH can travel to the cabin)

There's NO downside to the subframe collar kits though :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response, did a bit more research after reading what you had to say and am kind of weighing on whether or not I will go ahead with the torque arm upgrades. This is my daily so I'd like it comfortable. Thinking maybe the subframe collar kit upgrades then that Stern rear brace might be a good start, sway bar upgrades in the future to compliment the coils and rear brace would be on the radar as well.

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
Subframe clunk has been an issue that ive gotten lately. Ordered the tyrol kit for $220, everyone inasked swears by it.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Subframe clunk has been an issue that ive gotten lately. Ordered the tyrol kit for $220, everyone inasked swears by it.

Yes, mine is quite minimal but I've heard nothing but good things from that kit... Only reason going with CTS is they're local and every product I've ever got from them is top quality so I expect these to be as well.