GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cooling Fan ON temp?

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock cooling system 2012 GTI.

Little history. I just got my car back from the dealer with a replaced water pump. I was overheating and they diagnosed it as a stuck closed thermostat (weird, most thermo's get stuck OPEN when they fail).

Since then, i've been watching my temps like a hawk in Torque.

I got it back on Tuesday and its been pretty hot since then so I've been driving with the A/C on so my fans are both running (verified). The temps would fluctuate between 188f and 206f depending and just kinda move between them.

Today it was ~73f so I was windows down, no A/C.

I got in some stop and go traffic and i noticed it got to 210, then 215, then 220 then it finally began to come down but it was noticeably higher than i was used to earlier in the week with the A/C on. I was getting REAL nervous something was still wrong. When I got to my destination the temp was at 212 so I popped the hood and NEITHER fan was running.

Is this normal? Is there a set temperature the fan(s) will start at when the A/C is off? 220F seems quite high for a working cooling system in 73F weather.

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Unfortunately I still can't seem to find any hard numbers for when the cooling fans kick on. I'm just trying to ensure they ARE kicking on when they're supposed to and not just when I put the A/C on.

Good to know others are seeing 220F though.

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
So I did more testing and have more questions.

I drove the car around for a bit with no A/C on till about 200F. Pulled over and popped the hood. Fans off. Sat there and held the engine at 2k for a minute or two then got out and watched the fans.

At 215F, the fans, both of them, came on but slowly. The temps DID start slowly coming down. Then I put the A/C on and the fans went to full speed and the temps plummeted.

So now I'm curious if the fans just based on temperature should be coming on faster without the A/C on?

I just wish the whole operation of this system was better documented! ��

Vwls

Stock cooling system 2012 GTI.

Little history. I just got my car back from the dealer with a replaced water pump. I was overheating and they diagnosed it as a stuck closed thermostat (weird, most thermo's get stuck OPEN when they fail).

Since then, i've been watching my temps like a hawk in Torque.

I got it back on Tuesday and its been pretty hot since then so I've been driving with the A/C on so my fans are both running (verified). The temps would fluctuate between 188f and 206f depending and just kinda move between them.

Today it was ~73f so I was windows down, no A/C.

I got in some stop and go traffic and i noticed it got to 210, then 215, then 220 then it finally began to come down but it was noticeably higher than i was used to earlier in the week with the A/C on. I was getting REAL nervous something was still wrong. When I got to my destination the temp was at 212 so I popped the hood and NEITHER fan was running.

Is this normal? Is there a set temperature the fan(s) will start at when the A/C is off? 220F seems quite high for a working cooling system in 73F weather.
I just ran a performed a test and my 2012 turns on at 103C with the fans at a 20% duty cycle and then it shuts off at 100 C. This cycle takes about 30 seconds to complete. Ambient were 58 f at time of the few cycles I sampled in my garage.