GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

!@#$%&* trucks!

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I am not happy! My poor six month old GTI!

Last week was not a very good week for me for other reasons....

I'm driving home last week and there's a tractor-trailer one lane over from me and about 50 yards ahead of me. All of a sudden something shoots out from the rear trailer tire (a board or something?) and nails the side of my car. I'm so pissed that I won't even look at it when I get home. I wash my car this weekend and the damage are two deep scratches on that side and a minor one.

Today, when I'm driving to work I'm in the same scenario. Something launches from the rear tire of the trailer and hits my windshield. I think it was the corner of a brick or something. I'm not sure of the damage to the glass because I can't clean it off at work. I hope when I get home that it's nothing.

I think I need to stay off the highways for a little while--or stay away from freaking trucks.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I've had a semi tire blow out in front of me and got nailed by the debris. Followed him till he pulled over, got info and the truck company paid for the repairs without any hassle.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Pics will make me cry!

I should've gotten the info off the truck, but in the past it's done no good. I know the first one was a US Mail contractor, and I don't remember anything about the second one.

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
I feel your pain. Unfortunately if it is your DD these things will happen from time to time and you have to make the call on whether to drop the cash to fix it or just roll with it.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
It's getting fixed. The scratches are down to the primer and they stick out like a sore thumb.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Don't you love those signs on the big trucks too...STAY BACK 1 MILLION FEET...NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES... Wouldn't it be nice to not be responsible for damages that you cause?!! Yes I too hate big trucks. They are notorious here for flinging dried mud and rocks. It's like they just drove through a field and thought who cares, I'll get on the interstate now. There really should be some law regarding this!

Shoehat

Ready to race!
I remember way back in '96, in my brand new Volvo 850 turbo wagon, driving behind a beat to hell pick-up when a FULL bucket of white paint falls off the back. I had nowhere to go- drove right through it. Never got all the paint off.

These days I assess the possibility of damage from the vehicle I'm following and respond (change lanes, drop back) accordingly.

I never had any sign of OCD before the GTI... different now.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Don't you love those signs on the big trucks too...STAY BACK 1 MILLION FEET...NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES... Wouldn't it be nice to not be responsible for damages that you cause?!! Yes I too hate big trucks. They are notorious here for flinging dried mud and rocks. It's like they just drove through a field and thought who cares, I'll get on the interstate now. There really should be some law regarding this!

Well, here's the thing.

#1 - Putting a sign on your trailer or anything does not change the laws and torts. If it did, everyone would put a sign on their car and say "Not at fault for hitting your car in the parking lot" and be good.

#2 - No one, trucks or otherwise are responsible for damage caused by road debris. This includes rocks as well as any other item that is laying on the roadway and is flung up by their tires.

HOWEVER, if any item falls off or comes off in any manner and strikes your car, then they ARE liable. So a rock truck that is dropping rocks because they have no tarp......they owe for that, get the plate at least and have your insurance company chase them down. Blown tire tread, also their fault. Sadly, a mail truck that threw up a piece of debris from the road, not their fault.

Some states may differ, so it always pays off to check, but I can tell you in CA and NV that's the way it works. When in doubt, call your insurance company and let them handle it, they know the vehicle code and regulations (or they should) and be able to help you out.

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
Bummer man, I feel your pain. Something hit my car, a couple of days ago, but it was spit up by a minivan. :( I've had her since July. Mine is about 3/4", down to the primer, with a tiny dent, in the lower driver's door. It makes me miss having a lighter colored car, 'cause it stands out.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Well, here's the thing.

#1 - Putting a sign on your trailer or anything does not change the laws and torts. If it did, everyone would put a sign on their car and say "Not at fault for hitting your car in the parking lot" and be good.

#2 - No one, trucks or otherwise are responsible for damage caused by road debris. This includes rocks as well as any other item that is laying on the roadway and is flung up by their tires.

HOWEVER, if any item falls off or comes off in any manner and strikes your car, then they ARE liable. So a rock truck that is dropping rocks because they have no tarp......they owe for that, get the plate at least and have your insurance company chase them down. Blown tire tread, also their fault. Sadly, a mail truck that threw up a piece of debris from the road, not their fault.

Some states may differ, so it always pays off to check, but I can tell you in CA and NV that's the way it works. When in doubt, call your insurance company and let them handle it, they know the vehicle code and regulations (or they should) and be able to help you out.

In KS/MO area they all have those signs...and it's to cover their ass when something falls off of their truck. Most are hauling rocks or trash. I don't know if it's legal but I think it's there to deter someone from following them and having to pay any damages. It's total BS and if a rock flew off their truck and hit me I would be following them. A lot of those trucks get on the highways with muddy/rocky tires...so whose fault is that by your logic? I wasn't talking about crap that's already on the road, that's a "no fault" situation.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Insurance, FTW.

Your comprehensive policy will cover these issues. My corvete is getting fixed now for something dropped from a truck that messed up my front bumper and its just going to cost me my $100 deductible.

No reprocussions for using your comp. policy either. They asked if I chased down the truck, but I told them I wasn't comfortable doing so at 3am. Not an issue, done deal.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I just remembered that the dealer through in some kind of ding protection when I got the extended warranty. I'll have to look into that and see if this kind of thing is covered. If it isn't, I'm going to call insurance. I wanted to wait to do that until I see what the damage on the windshield is because my insurance company will fix minor stuff for free.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
A lot of those trucks get on the highways with muddy/rocky tires...so whose fault is that by your logic? I wasn't talking about crap that's already on the road, that's a "no fault" situation.

Not my logic, I am simply talking about the laws. LOL

For the muddy truck tires it will come down to the local statute and laws. Many places would count that as debris ON the truck (it certainly wasn't on the road before that truck got on it LOL) and they are required to clean their tires prior to entering the roadway. Again, check your local vehicle code a sit may differ in some ways.

Insurance, FTW.

No reprocussions for using your comp. policy either. They asked if I chased down the truck, but I told them I wasn't comfortable doing so at 3am. Not an issue, done deal.

Actually, there CAN be repercussions, this can greatly depend. Afterall, insurance is about loss ratio. If you have a $1000 claim every month under Comp, at renewal they may increase your premiums because you are obviously at a higher risk for losses. Although yes, usually a comp loss is more forgiving than say a collision loss where you ran into 3 people. LOL