GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI on the way... not so random musings.

RonBurgAM

Hey now. I have been observing for a few months and thought to introduce myself since our (her) new ride is on the way.

First off thanks to all for providing a great resource. Reading this forum has been informative, tiring, amusing, and eye-opening. But mostly just fun.

Background - Replacing the wife's 2002 Focus ZX5 MT. Requirements for a new car were 5-door and MT. After a moderate amount of searching, we have on the way a 2012 GTI 6MT Black AB. Should arrive 1st week of April as part of a dealer swap. Some thoughts:
- We were originally waiting for the Focus ST but delays have been numerous and there is no timeline. They just announced availability of the Focus Titanium with 5MT so decided to test drive. The only test drives currently on the lots with MT are Focus SE. Decent car for the price but sparse power. Spins 3200 at 80mph. Visited Mazda but the lone MS3 was showroom only. Turned off by some of the research and looks are slightly over the top. Sat in all the Minis but she wanted the countryman space with the original mini feel. And I was not excited about the performance and features per cost. As well as potential LT maintenance costs as we drive our cars until the wheels fall off. Sat in an A3 at the auto show but not spending 40k to get all the toys.
- First drive was a 2012 GTI 6MT CW w/ Sun. Immediately impressed by the feel and build of the car. It was snowing and we had a few inches on all roads except the highways. We both run winter rubber and were impressed by how well the GTI handled with all seasons (I didn't catch which tires it had). Decent grip and the appropriate amount of correction by Skynet, or whatever controls the car. Follow-up ride on dry pavement sealed the deal. Sat in an AB at a different dealer and agree with some posters that the leather seems to improve bolster and overall cabin feel. About the only knock is the shifer throw seems a little long, although it is recognized this can be modded. And the lack of an auto-dimming mirror is surprising, not even a dealer installed option.
- Decision #1 Color: We are a black car family so I was surprised that she spent a few weeks considering CW. But like a short skirt, cars look best in black.
- Decision #2 Wheels: We were both intrigued by the Black Karthoums. But the few installed pics I could find weren't that impressive; the Serrons do look pretty sweet on a black car, and we were wondering if the BKs were just a bit too racer for her (although I do like how they really show the red calipers). Finally, you have to order the BKs separate and sell the Serrons so seemed like a bit of a hassle and I think she will be more than happy with the stock setup.
- We will get tint and a trailer hitch for an existing bike rack right off the lot. Likely do a Stage 1, maybe Stealth Box depending on how the Dyna sounds with time. Some of the other lower cost mods inlcluding interior LEDs, auto-dim, are also likely.
- Finally, we have worked with some of the nicest dealers. But the almost universal lack of product knowledge is mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

Thanks again for all the great info. We'll post pics but until then will be scouting for ideas.

Seacrest... out!

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
Intresting...

I went for a focus test drive last year and the older sales guy with placks all over the wall about salesman of the whatever... The dude told me a few things...

I don't want a manual so don't worry about that and that my wife will like driving around in it for sure so I should get it...

The car is for me I've always had a manual, and she doesn't drive...

Needless to say I think that most sales people are out to lunch.

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Interesting comment about the Black Karthoums. Mine are right on the window sticker as ordered from the factory and no mention of Detroits, Denvers or Huffs. I wonder now if I should have had another set of wheels, even Denvers, that I paid for in the base price that I never got?? :iono:

I don't think the BKs are over the top at all, in fact I think are a good compromise between plain silver machined and some over the top all black wheels. Of course it's your choice and I can respect that but I think they look really good on white(I'm a little biased there :) ) OR black.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
pls use paragraphs ;)

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Decent grip and the appropriate amount of correction by Skynet, or whatever controls the car.

Nice...
I believe the car said...

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The only test drives currently on the lots with MT are Focus SE. Decent car for the price but sparse power. Spins 3200 at 80mph.

FYI, the 6M GTI spins at about 3100 RPM at 80 mph. No big deal though.

I'm a fan of the Serrons, and they look great on black. That's the direction I'd go.

Congrats on the new car! :thumbsup:

RonBurgAM

Interesting comment about the Black Karthoums. Mine are right on the window sticker as ordered from the factory and no mention of Detroits, Denvers or Huffs. I wonder now if I should have had another set of wheels, even Denvers, that I paid for in the base price that I never got?? :iono:
This car is already scheduled to be built and sold to a different dealer, than swapped. The salesmans explanation was that if we bought the BKs we would be able to keep the Serrons. Might be further example of the Salesman not being knowledgeable, I have an email in to him to clarify. Will update later.

Thanks for posting both pics, I didn't come across either one. 2nd looks like a CSG. If you've seen any BKs on Black, I'd be interested in the link.

pls use paragraphs ;)
Agreed, should have previewed. OP looks like chat stew.

FYI, the 6M GTI spins at about 3100 RPM at 80 mph. No big deal though.
I'm a fan of the Serrons, and they look great on black. That's the direction I'd go.
Congrats on the new car! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the clarification. The difference must have been the high revs were very noticeable in the Focus and not in the GTI.

It's exciting to be getting a new ride, even if I won't be the DD. Thx for the opinion on the Serrons, don't think we will go wrong either way.

Goooo Chahgurrs!!!

Karthoum

Ready to race!
This car is already scheduled to be built and sold to a different dealer, than swapped. The salesmans explanation was that if we bought the BKs we would be able to keep the Serrons. Might be further example of the Salesman not being knowledgeable, I have an email in to him to clarify. Will update later.

Thanks for posting both pics, I didn't come across either one. 2nd looks like a CSG. If you've seen any BKs on Black, I'd be interested in the link.

The Candy White is mine (and never posted before) and the other I found on a Google search.

Here's a black...Nice!

Last edited:

RonBurgAM

The Candy White is mine (and never posted before) and the other I found on a Google search.

Here's a black...Nice!

A virgin pic, nice. Google you say..., I will have to check that out sometime.:bonk:
Wow, that Black with Black BKs is tight! Will have to show the wifey.

Karthoum

Ready to race!
A virgin pic, nice. Google you say..., I will have to check that out sometime.:bonk:
Wow, that Black with Black BKs is tight! Will have to show the wifey.

Yeah, Google is a new thing...you probably never heard of it. :lol:

And yeah, I think they look good! Funny, the first time I saw them in person was at my local dealer showroom on a Black MKV Jetta WB, two days later it was stolen right off the floor! :)

Personally, I think they look best with solid/non-metallic colors.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I obviously like the GTI in black most but really like the white too.

As for wheels, yeah the black looks great - but I was set on the detroits since the mk5 denvers...Not kidding if I trade this in for a mk7 in the future, I'd like to try and see if they would swap the wheels for me..;)

RonBurgAM

Personally, I think they look best with solid/non-metallic colors.

As for wheels, yeah the black looks great - but I was set on the detroits since the mk5 denvers...Not kidding if I trade this in for a mk7 in the future, I'd like to try and see if they would swap the wheels for me..;)

Good point by Karthoum that the gloss black wheels probably look best on solid. Showed the pics to the old lady and the BKs are out. With Metallic Black exterior and tint, the AB Serrons appear the way to go.

Randum, checked out your build thread, very nicely done.:thumbsup:

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Good point by Karthoum that the gloss black wheels probably look best on solid. Showed the pics to the old lady and the BKs are out. With Metallic Black exterior and tint, the AB Serrons appear the way to go.

Randum, checked out your build thread, very nicely done.:thumbsup:

So you are getting metallic black? Yeah, I would stick to the Serrons then. But it IS personal preference and one we seem to agree on. Enjoy the new car! :thumbsup: