GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need input on broken sunroof guides

mmaluso

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm in the process of fixing my sunroof and in trying to save money (since I needed a few different parts) I bought an entire used sunroof assembly off eBay rather than paying the ridiculous dealer prices on these parts. The used unit ended up having 2 of the same broken pieces that I wanted to replace.

Anyway I'm looking to hear from anyone who has actually taken their sunroof apart. Someone who understands how it works mechanically and recognizes the parts I'm referring to.

The front guides (A in the photos) are the ones that I need replaced. What is the point of those weak plastic springs and are they very important? I'm wondering if I could just JBweld them (maybe even with reinforcement) or remove them altogether so that they don't break again and jam up the sunroof track (seems to be what happened last time). Without the springs these guides would still hold everything in alignment it seems, however things would sit maybe a millimeter lower.

What are your thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and buy new ones from the dealer at $85 each? Right now I'm just waiting to hear back from the eBay seller to see if he has any replacement ones he could send me.

drz400nofear

Hey,
I know this post is from 2015, but I don't see a ton of information on DIY for fixing these sunroofs. My 2012 TDI 2 door sunroof stopped opening. The motor still works, but the glass doesn't move. The dealership said the cables broke. I found a used complete assembly from a 4 door MK6 on eBay and I'm looking to do the same thing you did, do you have any words of wisdom? Also do you know if the assembly is the same on the 2 door and 4 door?.
Thanks
Kevin