GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW center cap removal

vilesyntax

Ready to race!
I've searched on here and google. I cant find the answer to this dumb question:

to remove the center caps do I have to take off the wheel? If not, how do I remove them? :mad0259:

Yes, you have to take the wheel off. From the inside of the wheel, I used a flat head screwdriver and carefully them (lifted the clip...).

flug2012

Ready to race!
No need to take the wheel off the car... just use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the centercap out. Take care not to scratch the wheel when doing this.:w00t:

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you have to take the wheel off. From the inside of the wheel, I used a flat head screwdriver and carefully them (lifted the clip...).

No need to take the wheel off the car... just use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the centercap out. Take care not to scratch the wheel when doing this.:w00t:

hmmmmmm.....I like diversity, but not in my "how to" manual....:D

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Take it off, use two fingers, insert them into the hole until it comes out.

Wait.

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
I guess it might be possible when the wheel is on.. I took my wheels off and it seemed like the "right" way to take them out...[/QUOTE

It all boils down to whether you want to risk scraping your wheels. If you feel lazy do two a day...off swap on, repeat as necessarily :thumbsup:

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion

spiker369

on air, don't care
Excuse my resurrecting of a dead thread...

But are the centercaps pretty easy to remove? Or should I just buy new ones to put on my new wheels?

Since you have new wheels you will already have your old ones off. Caps are stupid simple to remove. Just push from behind the cap with two fingers like the guy stated a few posts above. It'll just pop out.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I can tell from experience that you do not want to attempt to pry the cap off with the wheel on. Not only do you greatly increase the chance of scratching the wheel but you guarantee marring the caps itself (which you may not care about if you are ditching them).

If you are going to toss the caps, and you insist on leaving the wheel on, use a nylon pry tool (a strong one). Either way those suckers aren't coming off cleanly without removing the wheel first.