GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DPF Delete & Custom Piping -- Local Tuner Wants My Car to Develop a Kit

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, first and foremost I'm looking into deleting my DPF and installing a full turbo-back straight-pipe exhaust system so I contacted my local tuner shop who did my APR Stage I tune. I want more power and more sound...

They actually want to take my car in for development of some custom parts to build a DPF delete kit for production and their own retail sale. Do you think being quoted 50% of "retail" for their developed parts is a reasonable price? Estimated time frame from them was about a couple of weeks from day 1, to take pictures, poke around at the stock system, and then develop and fab parts. Also, does anyone have any idea of what a rough estimate of costs for this may be for a system that already exists? I don't want to get ripped off and surely don't want to spend way over what's necessary. There's a fine line between what's "fun" and what's "not worth it."

Software wise I think we're going with Unitronic since the tuner shop is a dealer, and the closest Malone dealer to me is about 4 hours drive away...

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone, first and foremost I'm looking into deleting my DPF and installing a full turbo-back straight-pipe exhaust system so I contacted my local tuner shop who did my APR Stage I tune. I want more power and more sound...

They actually want to take my car in for development of some custom parts to build a DPF delete kit for production and their own retail sale. Do you think being quoted 50% of "retail" for their developed parts is a reasonable price? Estimated time frame from them was about a couple of weeks from day 1, to take pictures, poke around at the stock system, and then develop and fab parts. Also, does anyone have any idea of what a rough estimate of costs for this may be for a system that already exists? I don't want to get ripped off and surely don't want to spend way over what's necessary. There's a fine line between what's "fun" and what's "not worth it."

Software wise I think we're going with Unitronic since the tuner shop is a dealer, and the closest Malone dealer to me is about 4 hours drive away...

50% of retail is good for the parts and you are getting them installed for free. +1 for UNI

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
50% of retail is good for the parts and you are getting them installed for free. +1 for UNI

^This, as long as their retail price is reasonable... If they want to charge a grand for their downpipe retail then you aren't getting a deal, even at 50% off...

You can buy a Rawtek DPF delete downpipe for ~$550; so base your price off that. Have them tell you their retail price, or at worst guarantee you a price of like $400 installed instead of just "50% off." Now, if they plan to charge $500-$600 for their's retail; then 50% off and installed is a smokin' deal for sure. :thumbsup:

kevin444

Ready to race!

Is your tuner going to provide some reflash to keep the sensors happy? Otherwise it will be throwing codes and go into limp mode.

azthegame

Ready to race!
I think 500 including install is the absolute most I would pay if my car was being used for development. If they will fabricate a full turbo back, then 700 installed.

They will gain a wealth of knowledge using your car, so you need a real good deal.

I say the above prices max for parts and install, plus cost of tune.

allevil

I'd be a little careful with that.

There's a guy on Fred's TDI that bought and paid for tuning for his car, thru a vendor that didn't have all the diesel bugs worked out yet.

Let's just say... He was out of a car for 3 months being told one thing or another. When it was all done, he went with Malone and Rawtek.

It's a lengthy read, but here's a link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=361223

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'd be a little careful with that.

There's a guy on Fred's TDI that bought and paid for tuning for his car, thru a vendor that didn't have all the diesel bugs worked out yet.

Let's just say... He was out of a car for 3 months being told one thing or another. When it was all done, he went with Malone and Rawtek.

It's a lengthy read, but here's a link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=361223

He mentioned UNI which is a good known diesel tuner

dean_park

Ready to race!
Even though Unitronic has been doing diesel tuning for a while, I'd still personally lean more toward Malone. They've been doing the Stage 2 for well over 2 years when the first CR 140s were coming into the US and Canada.

Also, I personally bought a prototype downpipe and while it could have been fitted to the car, it wasn't refined enough to give me confidence in using it. A custom downpipe will probably fit up, but if it rattles or the supports aren't proper, it could cause more damage down the road. I also fabbed up a custom catback. It was good, but there were always adjustments and tweaks to get it right.

I'm currently running a PDE downpipe (and a Malone stage 2), with a Beetle Turbo catback. From the prototype DP, to the custom catback to the properly built DP to the factory fit catback, there are no more rattles or alignment issues. It rides and feels factory. I feel confident in it.

One of the best things about PDE (and probably Rawtek, but IDK) is that they worked closely with the tuner (Malone) to properly design the DPs with the tune. Too large or not enough back pressure and you will get turbo spikes and power surges (I did when I had 2.5" straight from the turbo back without cats, mufflers, resonators). With a muffler, there is just enough. If I was to do it all over again, I'd probably stick to PDE from the turbo back to know that it's all bolt on and made to work together.

I'm a cheap bastid.. but in the long run I wasted far more money and time trying to go custom and cheap to later go to reputable pieces from the start.

If you go with a local shop, I'd recommend getting a warranty in writing that includes fitment issues and repairs for damages that may be incurred due the installation of their components.

new 2

Passed Driver's Ed
i would argue for a lot less than half off. as someone stated they re gaining a lot of knowledge and there is far too much potential for them to screw something up. i would ask for a lot less, or consider something thats already been proven to work.

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
Even though Unitronic has been doing diesel tuning for a while, I'd still personally lean more toward Malone. They've been doing the Stage 2 for well over 2 years when the first CR 140s were coming into the US and Canada.

Also, I personally bought a prototype downpipe and while it could have been fitted to the car, it wasn't refined enough to give me confidence in using it. A custom downpipe will probably fit up, but if it rattles or the supports aren't proper, it could cause more damage down the road. I also fabbed up a custom catback. It was good, but there were always adjustments and tweaks to get it right.

I'm currently running a PDE downpipe (and a Malone stage 2), with a Beetle Turbo catback. From the prototype DP, to the custom catback to the properly built DP to the factory fit catback, there are no more rattles or alignment issues. It rides and feels factory. I feel confident in it.

One of the best things about PDE (and probably Rawtek, but IDK) is that they worked closely with the tuner (Malone) to properly design the DPs with the tune. Too large or not enough back pressure and you will get turbo spikes and power surges (I did when I had 2.5" straight from the turbo back without cats, mufflers, resonators). With a muffler, there is just enough. If I was to do it all over again, I'd probably stick to PDE from the turbo back to know that it's all bolt on and made to work together.

I'm a cheap bastid.. but in the long run I wasted far more money and time trying to go custom and cheap to later go to reputable pieces from the start.

If you go with a local shop, I'd recommend getting a warranty in writing that includes fitment issues and repairs for damages that may be incurred due the installation of their components.

Does anyone know if OBDII will throw a readiness code during an emissions test with a Malone Stg II w/ DPF deleted? I am hearing mixed results. I know the minimum requirements during a smog check here in CA for diesels is a quick visual inspection as well as plugging in a OBDII scanner (but NO tailpipe testing).

And my tuner has not gotten back to me about the Uni/DPF work yet.

Thanks for all your posts! I am in a bit gearing towards an actual Malone tune, frankly because they've had a longer reputation from what I've researched, and plus, I recently found out that there's actually a brand new tuner closer to me!

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion

We can definitely get you setup with a Stage 2 performance software file for your car, with a DPF delete incorporated. Send an email to john@unitronic.ca for more information!

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know if OBDII will throw a readiness code during an emissions test with a Malone Stg II w/ DPF deleted? I am hearing mixed results. I know the minimum requirements during a smog check here in CA for diesels is a quick visual inspection as well as plugging in a OBDII scanner (but NO tailpipe testing).

And my tuner has not gotten back to me about the Uni/DPF work yet.

Thanks for all your posts! I am in a bit gearing towards an actual Malone tune, frankly because they've had a longer reputation from what I've researched, and plus, I recently found out that there's actually a brand new tuner closer to me!

I asked Malone a few months ago about the readiness test, and they said the DPF delete with the stage 2 tune will give 3 readiness monitors as failed or not ready.