GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what kind of snow tires are you running?

markus037

Ready to race!
I know its early, but im picking up a set of steelies in the future and need some snow tires. I was looking for some recommendations. Also are tire pressure sensors worth anything? This set comes with them and I was wondering if I could sell them to help offset some of the cost.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Blizzack LM-32 there is nothing comparable.

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D. Great winter tire with a slightly higher speed rating.

Also, PM sent.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
General Altimax Arctic

--Matt

tsmack

Ready to race!
Blizzaks

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
It really depends on what kind of driving you plan to do and how much snow you will anticipate driving in. For snow, Blizzaks are considered the best. The General Altimax Arctic is a great budget tire. I went with the Michelin Xice Xi3 and was very happy with them last winter. It's a fairly quiet tire and has very good handling for a snow tire.

Realize than ANY dedicated snow tire is much better than an all-season when it comes to snow performance. There is a dedicated winter tire thread on this forum with lots of good information.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23861

ProV1x

Passed Driver's Ed
I got 16" Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRTs last year from tire rack. These are amaaaaaaaazing. It didn't snow a ton in MD last yr, but twice I was stuck on I95 in 3-4". While the entire highway became a parking lot with stuck cars, my GTI just plowed right through. It was friggin' amazing. Those 2 storms paid for the tires and then some.

When it was 40-45deg, it also drove fine.

markus037

Ready to race!
i live in PA so we usually get a decent ammount of snow. I have had nokians in the past on my MKV but they are hard to come by.

BroMoney

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running 16x7.5 MSW Type 85 GUNMETAL alloys with 205/55R-16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's. Living in Long Island I can honestly say that they were worth the price and I don't think I could have made it through the winter without them. Plus that snow hoonage...

KO7

Ready to race!
I've got Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on 16" steelies that I've used for 2 winters, but contemplating selling them this year and just go with my Michelin AS3s. We had an extremely mild winter last year with about 2 days of snow and warm temperatures throughout.

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
I've just picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapeliittas on 15" Steelies (I have a Golf so it clears the brakes). Previously I had a set of 18" Goodyear Ultragrip which didn't perform as great as I hoped. They were a performance winter tire, which probably contributed to them not being the best in snowy conditions. Once I got the Hakkas, I noticed that the compound is sooo much softer. It's pliable with your fingers, whereas the Ultragrips were really hard. I think this is another reason the Ultragrips didn't perform all that great. I haven't driven on the Nokian tires yet, but from what I've read they seem to be one of the best tires for snowy conditions, which is exactly what I need for the brutal upstate NY weather.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I've just picked up a set of Nokian Hakkpeliittas on 15" Steelies (I have a Golf so it clears the brakes). Previously I had a set of 18" Goodyear Ultragrip which didn't perform as great as I hoped. They were a performance winter tire, which probably contributed to them not being the best in snowy conditions. Once I got the Hakkas, I noticed that the compound is sooo much softer. It's pliable with your fingers, whereas the Ultragrips were really hard. I think this is another reason the Ultragrips didn't perform as well as I hoped. I haven't driven on the Nokian tires yet, but from what I've read they seem to be one of the best tires for snowy conditions, which is exactly what I need for the brutal upstate NY weather.

Heard the hakkas are the shit. Where'd you get em? Not many sources in U.S. from what I can find.

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Heard the hakkas are the shit. Where'd you get em? Not many sources in U.S. from what I can find.

Ended up finding a local set on Craigslist that were used for a few months. They still had the little rubber nubs on them, and the tread depth was 10/32 so they were basically new. I've heard really good things about these tires as well, so I'm excited to see how they perform in the winter. We'll see if the hype holds up!

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Blizzack LM-32 there is nothing comparable.

Yeah sorry but the General Altimax Arctic is comparable. Ive never gotten stuck and have had snow up higher than the front bumper. Driving on snow covered highways at high speed is also not a problem. They are also a lot cheaper than the blizzaks!

Ive driven to Vermont during multiple snow storms and was passing subarus, trucks and jeeps left and right.

Got in and out of this spot no problem:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I use a set of Blizzak WS-70s on 16" Sport Edition F11s. Great combo. Got me through tons of snow storms (and parking lot drifts) in Binghamton, NY.