GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC Fan Is Really Screaming

jikhead

Ready to race!
I have recently noticed that it seems the fan on my radiator for the AC is running a lot faster than normal; or that I'm just noticing a much louder noise from the spinning fan.

What do you think is primary cause? Is my fan wearing down (like bearing) and is much louder? Or is it a compressor issue with the AC and the fan is having to work harder?

I'm not getting any CEL's and the engine temp is running at the normal temp.

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a similar issue with my GTI. Check both radiator fans with the A/C on. Chances are you'll find that the smaller one isn't spinning. The larger fan spins faster to compensate for this, and that's (probably) the noise you're hearing. Check for debris and the fuse for the radiator fans. If there's no debris and the fuse is fine you'll need to replace the fan. I had the same issue, ended up replacing the fan with an OEM one and the noise disappeared right away.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
When they tuned your car, did they have to open the ECU case? If so, it can be a symptom of water/moisture entering the case after they resealed it.

jikhead

Ready to race!
I had a similar issue with my GTI. Check both radiator fans with the A/C on. Chances are you'll find that the smaller one isn't spinning. The larger fan spins faster to compensate for this, and that's (probably) the noise you're hearing. Check for debris and the fuse for the radiator fans. If there's no debris and the fuse is fine you'll need to replace the fan. I had the same issue, ended up replacing the fan with an OEM one and the noise disappeared right away.

Would you happen to know which/where the fuse is for the radiator fan? I didn't find any blown fuses inside or under the hood, but I noticed a statement in the manual that says there are fuses in other locations and to have dealership check those.

Did you just replace the single smaller fan, or do you replace the whole kit (both fans & surrounding bracket)?

Last edited:

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
It's in fuse box in the engine bay. You'd have to take the cover off and check F24 (radiator fans). Should be a 10 amp fuse. Pull it out and check that the little metal 'u' is intact. You could also try replacing it with a new one or one of the other fuses to rule out the fuse being an issue. Start your car and turn on the A/C to check if the smaller fan is kicking in.

Did you check to see if both of your fans are operational with the A/C on?

jikhead

Ready to race!
Fuses are fine. I had conducted some tested couple of days ago with the AC & heater, but the smaller fan won't turn on/spin for anything. There's no debris or blockage, and the small fan turns fine by hand. So did you replace the whole kit or just the small fan unit only?

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Fuses are fine. I had conducted some tested couple of days ago with the AC & heater, but the smaller fan won't turn on/spin for anything. There's no debris or blockage, and the small fan turns fine by hand. So did you replace the whole kit or just the small fan unit only?
I replaced just the smaller fan unit. Mine was the same way. No debris/blockage and it turned freely by hand. Probably some internal issue. It's pretty easy to swap out, you have to get the car on stands (front only) remove the four torx bits holding the assembly and pull the two fan assembly out from the bottom. Be sure to disconnect the electrical connector before trying to pull it out.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I'm having the same issue with the small fan. Does anyone know if there's a switch somewhere for it, or is that handled by the ECU?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Alright, so I replaced mine on Wednesday. When I spun it by hand it made a weird clicking sound; looking through the vent holes, there's a spring unwound in there that's rubbing on the commutator and making the noise. I guess one of the brushes got knocked out of sorts somehow.

Maybe I'll take it apart for a full failure analysis this weekend.

jikhead

Ready to race!
I found this video, it should work for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHyHMORoMM

This video was very helpful. With my two issues below, it took me 2 hours to complete.

I had difficulty getting the top passenger-side screw off due to that hardline hose that sits right in front it. I ended up taking the flexible bracket off on this hose, and then the other bracket further down the hose. From there, I was able to push the hose out of the way to get to it...and then stitch together several extension long enough for me to use the hand-socket on it. I also had trouble getting that bottom radiator connector off. After pushing that pink clip up, I still had trouble. I ended up using a flathead screwdriver to push it up a bit.

Last edited:

jikhead

Ready to race!
Issue is resolved after replacing the smaller fan. Thanks for the help sholksmagen.
If I crank the AC, now both fans are spinning/working at a nominal speed and you can't hear anything since the larger fan is no longer struggling at full blast.

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Issue is resolved after replacing the smaller fan. Thanks for the help sholksmagen.
If I crank the AC, now both fans are spinning/working at a nominal speed and you can't hear anything since the larger fan is no longer struggling at full blast.
Happy to be of service. Glad everything worked out. [emoji106]