GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #113
zug
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: GTI
Hey everyone, I need your input! I'm going to make one last design change before I place an order with the manufacturer I chose. I have been working 7 days a week for a while so I would like to take advantage of my rare day off today.

I want to go back to my original idea of having the driver implemented onto the LED strip as one single component instead of having the driver be a separate component installed inside the car near the tail light harness. Having the driver built into the LED strip reduces manufacturing costs, simplifies installation, and removes the need for a wiring harness to connect the two together. However, the driver has very large electrical parts on it that would require a hole nearly the size of a quarter to be cut in the tail light. I ditched this design a month or two ago because I thought people would be thrown off by a cut that big. Would this scare you guys off?

The only other feasible design is to incorporate the driver at the very end of the LED strip so that the driver is actually mounted outside of the tail light once installed. This would need only a small rectangular cut approximately 1/2" x 1/4" for the LED strip portion. I would need to design and manufacture an end-cap that holds the driver portion in place and fits over the entire driver side to prevent water damage. This would obviously add development time and the final cost would be a little higher but I'm willing to do it if everyone is put off by the quarter-sized hole.

All feedback is welcome! I need to keep you guys in the loop better because I've wasted a lot of time wondering what you guys would prefer instead of just asking you.

Last edited by zug; 11-23-2018 at 05:37 AM.
zug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #114
zug
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal2000 View Post
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6'12gti View Post
Tagging you three so that you can give me feedback on my last post!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #115
Cal2000
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zug View Post
Hey everyone, I need your input! I'm going to make one last design change before I place an order with the manufacturer I chose. I have been working 7 days a week for a while so I would like to take advantage of my rare day off today.

I want to go back to my original idea of having the driver implemented onto the LED strip as one single component instead of having the driver be a separate component installed inside the car near the tail light harness. Having the driver built into the LED strip reduces manufacturing costs, simplifies installation, and removes the need for a wiring harness to connect the two together. However, the driver has very large electrical parts on it that would require a hole nearly the size of a quarter to be cut in the tail light. I ditched this design a month or two ago because I thought people would be thrown off by a cut that big. Would this scare you guys off?

The only other feasible design is to incorporate the driver at the very end of the LED strip so that the driver is actually mounted outside of the tail light once installed. This would need only a small rectangular cut approximately 1/2" x 1/4" for the LED strip portion. I would need to design and manufacture an end-cap that holds the driver portion in place and fits over the entire driver side to prevent water damage. This would obviously add development time and the final cost would be a little higher but I'm willing to do it if everyone is put off by the quarter-sized hole.

All feedback is welcome! I need to keep you guys in the loop better because I've wasted a lot of time wondering what you guys would prefer instead of just asking you.
Thanks for the update. I personally would not mind having the driver integrated into the LED strip inside the housing as long as properly designed gasket is provided to keep water/moisture out.

I am personally ok with either option.

How big is the driver by the way? If it is small enough to be secured inner side of the carpet, the current option would still work.

Look forward to hearing from other members who are interested.
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #116
zug
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I personally would not mind having the driver integrated into the LED strip inside the housing as long as properly designed gasket is provided to keep water/moisture out.

I am personally ok with either option.

How big is the driver by the way? If it is small enough to be secured inner side of the carpet, the current option would still work.

Look forward to hearing from other members who are interested.
Thanks for the reply! The driver would very easily be secured behind the OEM carpet and tap into the wiring harness. However, this would require a second hole to be drilled into the tail light to pass the wiring harness through (to connect the driver to the LED strip). I feel like you guys would prefer to cut one large hole instead of cutting two small holes and routing wires. This option would also be about $30 or $40 more expensive than the quarter-sized hole option. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #117
zug
Go Kart Newbie

EDIT: someone gave me confirmation that the cover does come off of the OEM sets.

Can anyone confirm if the plastic cover that comes on the outer tail lights can be removed on the OEM sets? I believe the set I have here is DEPO and the piece comes off without too much hassle. Pics here of what I mean: http://s349.photobucket.com/user/tom...0light%20cover

Last edited by zug; 11-24-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #118
Cal2000
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Quote:
EDIT: someone gave me confirmation that the cover does come off of the OEM sets.

Can anyone confirm if the plastic cover that comes on the outer tail lights can be removed on the OEM sets? I believe the set I have here is DEPO and the piece comes off without too much hassle. Pics here of what I mean: http://s349.photobucket.com/user/tom...0light%20cover
Great. I, too, have DEPO and the covers can be easily removed.
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #119
zug
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Great. I, too, have DEPO and the covers can be easily removed.
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #120
MMKAY6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Quote:

Have you seen any instructions anywhere on how to best remove the cover from the OEM sets?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #121
JNV
Autocross Champion

Drives: MK VI GTD
Quote:

Tks ZUG

I would accept any of the two potions provided that the result is good and that it is not perceived to be a retrofit.

Logically, the cheaper the system, the better for everyone and for its commercialization.

a quarter how many millimeters are??
JNV is offline   Reply With Quote