GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Methanol Injection

omes4life1

Ready to race!
I Have the AEM W/M kit. Had for about 1 month and i love it. Its the stage 1 single nozzle with start psi and full. The controller is fine very easy to use. I dont see any problems with it. I run it hard pretty much every night, so if you have any questions im here to help.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
I Have the AEM W/M kit. Had for about 1 month and i love it. Its the stage 1 single nozzle with start psi and full. The controller is fine very easy to use. I dont see any problems with it. I run it hard pretty much every night, so if you have any questions im here to help.

You should log your car and see whats going on with the timing... From what I recall they said the AEM controller isn't accurate. That means its not spraying when it should or its spraying too much too soon.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion

if you have some logs please provide them. what are your start and full?
i think aem are a stage 2 kit since it's progressive. like others mentioned,did you test the aem controller for accuracy?

burtomr said:
If you have a shop with support nearby you should definitely consider using the AEM kit and your very lucky. Make sure they know something about your VW engine controls which are very different from an EVO's and STI's. You wouldn't want to be their VW "learning curve guinea pig" and end up with a blown engine..

they are a very professional shop. their exposure to vw is little though,since the scene here is mostly evos, stis, zs, and gs. what would they need to know about the engine controls? isn't it just a matter of installing the hardware and setting start and full while running 100 oct map?

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
I saw a dyno of a car with APR stage 2 with 100 octane map making 260whp and 310wtq! Or in other words 20whp and 40wtq more than 93 octane on the same car... Meth is calling my name but seems like I'd need to upgrade clutch first...

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
what would they need to know about the engine controls? isn't it just a matter of installing the hardware and setting start and full while running 100 oct map?

I was referring to them being able to read the 'knock count' from the ECU through VagCom, etc., and basically knowing how to run the W/M as safe as possible.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
I saw a dyno of a car with APR stage 2 with 100 octane map making 260whp and 310wtq! Or in other words 20whp and 40wtq more than 93 octane on the same car... Meth is calling my name but seems like I'd need to upgrade clutch first...

What about our yummy 91 octane piss gas here in CA?

From what I have heard/read the jump to the 100 octane setting with 91 is not possible...and only being able to run the 93 octane setting is not worth the trouble of the W/M install (?).

Anybody out there with 91 octane W/M experience please chime in...

Stevec717

Ready to race!
Don't forget you can boost the octane of your fuel as well. It's not cheap, but there are some good recipes out here and you can easily make 95+ octane. Off the shelf octane boosters are useless. Good blends involve Toulene (114)or Xylene (117) as the base and then Mineral spirits (a cleaner) and Marvel Mystery Oil or trans fluid(a lubricant) in small qtys. The base chemicals have about 115 octane, so some simple math will tell you how much you need. See here:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

These chemicals are typically available in paint stores, home centers (HD), or industrial chem supply. Not cheap though - up to $20/gal.

Steve

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
What about our yummy 91 octane piss gas here in CA?

From what I have heard/read the jump to the 100 octane setting with 91 is not possible...and only being able to run the 93 octane setting is not worth the trouble of the W/M install (?).

Anybody out there with 91 octane W/M experience please chime in...

Meth is rated at around 110 octane or slightly higher... running it on 91 octane fuel seems like it would be like running 100 octane fuel, if not more.

There is someone on this forum that runs Meth on his K04 car... cant remember his tag.

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Personally im not running W/M to run higher tunes because APR didnt recommend it for their 100 oct tune when i called them. I run it for other benefits such as keeping my intake temps cooler and to also keep my engine cleaner with the 51% water mixture. The shop that installed everything "Tomas Sport Tuning" recommended the AEM kit. They installed it, ran it, logged it, and gave it to me nice and safe. I did however pick my own start and full settings. Like i said im not using it to run more aggressive tunes so my start psi is 5 and full is 15. im extremely happy with it, but if i wanted to gain more power from it, i would have Unitronic tune it to gain max power out of it. Ill prob do that when i go K04 hopefully... Lol

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Personally im not running W/M to run higher tunes because APR didnt recommend it for their 100 oct tune when i called them. I run it for other benefits such as keeping my intake temps cooler and to also keep my engine cleaner with the 51% water mixture. The shop that installed everything "Tomas Sport Tuning" recommended the AEM kit. They installed it, ran it, logged it, and gave it to me nice and safe. I did however pick my own start and full settings. Like i said im not using it to run more aggressive tunes so my start psi is 5 and full is 15. im extremely happy with it, but if i wanted to gain more power from it, i would have Unitronic tune it to gain max power out of it. Ill prob do that when i go K04 hopefully... Lol

why did you pick your own setting and based on what? i've read countless threads on people setting their start at 3-5psi and full at 10-11 psi while others setting their start at 8-10psi and full at 20-21 psi.
the former beleive that it is best to have full injection at redline while the latter beleive it is better to have full injection at peak boost. how do i know with which setting to go?

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
why did you pick your own setting and based on what? i've read countless threads on people setting their start at 3-5psi and full at 10-11 psi while others setting their start at 8-10psi and full at 20-21 psi.
the former beleive that it is best to have full injection at redline while the latter beleive it is better to have full injection at peak boost. how do i know with which setting to go?

You need to log your car and see what it is doing with the different meth settings. The setting with the least amount of timing being pulled back is the one you want to use.

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Like i said i didnt log it myself, the shop did and gave me three options to run timing, 3start 11full (mildly aggressive), 2start 10full (aggressive), 5start 15full (conservative). Once again if i wanted more speed ide have uni tune it with their tune. I chose a more conservative path lol if you log it yourself more power to you.