GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Teardown analysis

I had a few spare minutes today and decided to tear it down and see what happened. The motor is going to the scrap heap, so I don't care what I break to inspect it.

I figured I'd remove the tensioner for inspection and then take my head off and see what came of the failure. Boy was I surprised! Check out the heads, all 8 intake valves completely bent! They are all so bent and stuck open, garbage! Wide open! This was taken with camshafts removed, so there is no tension on the valves to push them open. Also, check out the carbon build up on them, not very good. I'm not sure if the pistons have the valve indents from the factory, but they certainly do now!

So, here's the tensioner, the dreaded 06H 109 467 IT model, the OG turd!

We've all seen the excellent 'Tensioner Failure Analysis' post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102001

I wanted to tear mine down expecting similar results, but was surprised by the results. Check out the ratchet piece, the teeth are not nearly as worn as on the original analysis's post.

Now look at the slide part that moves in and out to provide tension. That very last tooth is gone.

So I compressed it and now look down through the hole where the ratchet piece resides. These teeth are gone! Compare the broken ones with the perfect ones further down.

It's the opposite of the original analysis. The original poster's ratchet teeth were shot, whereas my teeth are broken on the slide. Either way, catastrophe for the motor. So, it appears this piece can fail from either part. What a terrible design. Get yours replaced now! Mine's running perfectly still, about 500 miles on it and still thrilled.

Attachments

• Bent 2.jpg
    Bent 2.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Bent 1.jpg
    Bent 1.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 466
  • Tensioner.jpg
    Tensioner.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 476
  • Ratchet.jpg
    Ratchet.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 453
  • Slide 1.jpg
    Slide 1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Slide 2.jpg
    Slide 2.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Good pics, its a horror story. Yikes:yikes:

Funny how my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a timing chain and all and 160k miles and no issues but VW cant build a decent tensior and have 4 yes 4!! Revisions if this part?

What is it exactly they cant get right?

Golf, check
Turbo motor and sport suspension check
GTI idea, began the whole "hot hatch" check
tensioners that work? Fail
Water pumps that dont leak? Fail
HPFP that work. Fail
Intake Manifolkd flapper that work. Fail

I mean, they get so much RIGHT, then Fumble the football at the 5 yard line.

I dont get it.

I saw the intake valves on my wifes 2012 Sonata which is GDI and was part of the engine recall. We got a new motor and I asked if I could take a look, those valves looked wwwaaaayyyy better than most VW ones I have seen. So I am not sure who is dropping the ball over there at VW, but they did. At least on the MK6.

Seems many issues have been resolved in the MK7, and thats a good thing.

Jeff

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Funny how my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a timing chain and all and 160k miles and no issues but VW cant build a decent tensior and have 4 yes 4!! Revisions if this part?

Timing chains/belts on VWs have always sucked. My mk4 GTI broke 2 teeth on the sprocket and it stretched the chain at 111k miles, 120k is when they recommend you change the chain, but my freakin sprocket didn't even make that long.

I'm getting my chain and tensioner done at 75k miles, I'm at 72k, because there's no way in hell I'm going through that again.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Rebuild

The scrap heap? Not worth rebuilding?

You know, I never really thought about it. I assumed it was too far gone, but thinking now, realize it can be done. But, like I said, I have another VW bastard child that takes a lot of my time! I just got this Type IV and was planning on rebuilding it. I really don't have too much interest in doing a TSI motor since they're easily available. Unless I'm missing something? Just doesn't seem worth it. Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Attachments

• Type IV.jpg
    Type IV.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 381

the1bill1

Well, I've been thinking of picking up a blown motor to build, and think it would be a waste to pay the premium for a running engine that I'm just going to take apart anyways.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I completely agree, and if this were my winter hobby, I'd rebuild. Air cooled are the ones I rebuild in the winter. They take plenty of my attention!

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

Hey everyone. Motor swap is doing great, has 7000 trouble free miles so far doing great! Still continues to amaze me!
Anyway, I can't believe it but I got a letter regarding a settlement from VWoA for tensioner repair work done. This is great news. The trouble is, it looks like they want an invoice from an authorized dealer or repair facility. I have an invoice for the motor, but not my work.
As always, what do you guys think?

Thanks a lot
Gregg

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I would just call yourself an 'independent service' and make your own invoice. Find out what typical labor time/cost would be and print something out.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
wow....hmmmm, why not give it a shot?

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I was totally thinking that. Find out what a rough amateur hourly rate is. Anyone have the shop hours for a motor swap on these? I'd guess 30 or so. Even though I'd say I have 50 in mine, but again, amateur!

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, yesterday marks 1 year since successful start-up. I'm proud to say I'm 9496.8 miles into the new motor and aside from replacing all my coils with R8's, no problems! Thanks again everyone for the help and support. Still going strong!

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello again everyone! Shockingly, it has been another whole year since this all ended. Time flies, it really does. Thrilled to relate that it is still going strong! I've significantly increased my mileage over the last year, and anticipate it continuing to climb for the next 3 years. I am now at 127,693 miles which roughly translates to 28,000 miles on the swap. That makes a total of 70,000 miles on the used motor and it is going great.
Of note, my turbo gave up. It was the original turbo that I had to reuse with the new motor and had some mileage on it. It didn't die, but the clamp separating the two halves gave up the ghost for some reason. The clamp won't come off without taking the lower turbo mount bracket off. Of course, it uses an allen bolt which has a 95% chance of stripping every time you try to get it off. Sure enough, it rounded out and I had to take the whole turbo off to get at the clamp. At that point, I was invested and figured I'd just buy a used turbo and new clamp, swap a new clamp onto the 'new' turbo for peace of mind and install it all, which I did. So, the turbo has 40,000 miles. I'll make this car a new car, one used component at a time! Pictures included.
I went stock and did not upgrade to a K04. I realize to some of you this is blasphemy, however this is my daily driver and I need it to pass state inspections without a CEL on and I need it to do 500 miles a week reliably.
In light of my experience I have learned two things:
1. Swap the turbo at the same time as you swap the engine. It is MUCH easier with the engine out and allows peace of mind. Duh....
2. Car-part.com is AWESOME! They have everything! I posted a WTB on this site but got limited results. One search on their site and i had the correct turbo off a 2011 EOS with 25,000 miles next-day delivered locally for I think it was about $200. You just can't beat that. Oh, also, don't search for 'turbo', it limits the results unnecessarily and makes only a few pop up. Search using 'exhaust manifold', since the turbo is attached to that anyway. Whoever catalogs their parts does not identify the separate components individually.

This road continues to be a fun one, see you next year (hopefully)!
20190606_141922.jpg

20190611_141846.jpg

guages 2 years later.jpg
20190610_115725.jpg

Attachments

• 20190611_141846.jpg
    20190611_141846.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 86

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone. 5 years later, I'm sure you're all dying for an update! Wow, I haven't updated it for 3 years! Haha. Anyway, here it is:
Just passed 185,000 miles. Which means I put 85,000 miles on the GTI after completing the engine swap! I call it a total success. Of course, my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree right now! Every light imaginable came on recently. I think it's the ABS module. I'd buy a used one and plug it in if I cared, but I don't. Also, the CEL is now on full time. It's something about the intake. I'm sure there's a minor leak in the intake, and again if I cared I'd take a look at it but it's just not something I worry about. This car doesn't owe me anything. My state does emissions, but I drive a lot in other states and the local PD has much more pressing issues to deal with so I'm not worried about them noticing expired stickers. I recently retired, and no longer commute anywhere. The car is currently relegated to around-town functions, and does it very well, lights on and all! So this was a total win! These MK6's are awesome cars! I have loved it. It has been very reliable, new engine notwithstanding! haha
Thanks for your assistance during this process. Maybe I'll update again next year, who knows. Take care everyone, and check out my newest venture is you're into VW Busses, camping and drinking dank beers:
Hoppy Camper on YouTube

Attachments

• PXL_20230110_162922683.jpg
    PXL_20230110_162922683.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49